Forums

• Ranged Guide - Red Chins •

Quick find code: 98-99-254-58152009

Wynd

Wynd

Posts: 60,600 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Welcome to the '• Ranged Guide - Red Chins [Chincompas] •' Guide!

Hello there everyone!

During November 2008, I finally completed my goal: 99 Ranged. The method I used was training red chinchompas at the Ape Atoll dungeon. I decided to create a guide based on the training I went through because I wanted to share the steps. Maybe you will decide to obtain 99 Ranged this way as well. Who knows?

Training with red chinchompas is currently the fastest and best way to gain Ranged experience! [best experience on Constitution too]. The only negative side is that you will need cash [huge amounts, to be exact] to get your 99 Ranged goal. You can get up to 2M experience a day depending on how many hours you play. Amazing, isn't it?

I will post all the strategies I have used and some tips to help you manage your way to 99 Ranged. It won't take that long. For example, from 80 Ranged to 99, you'd use about 50k-60k red chins and depending how many hours you play a day, it can take less than 2 weeks! Isn’t that awesome?

Continue reading and you will find yourself with my guide. I sure hope you enjoy reading it and if you choose to use this guide, post saying so. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Thanks and good luck!

Table of Contents
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
• Post 1 • Introduction [You're currently reading it]
• Post 2 • Information about Red Chinchompas
• Post 3 • Where to train
• Post 4 • Recommended Armour/Inventory/Levels
• Post 5 • Recommended Armour/Inventory/Levels [continued]
• Post 6 • Money/Experience
• Post 7 • Why should you waste that much money?
• Post 8 • Sacred Clay Armour & Ranged Experience Data
• Post 9 • Dada Suprem1's data
• Post 10 • How to do the Calculation

29-Dec-2008 06:40:41 - Last edited on 28-Jan-2014 20:15:36 by Wynd

Wynd

Wynd

= Information about Red Chinchompas [facts too!] =
• Red chins can be caught using the Hunter skill. A Hunter level of 63 required. Box traps are needed to catch these and you can find them south of Feldip Hills.
———For a complete and wonderful guide to 99 Hunter, take a look at = Dyemondd's 99 Hunter Guide = Quick find code: 98-99-353-58869271.
• To get to the Jungle area, you can do many things. You can use the Gnome Glider [after the completion of the One Small Favour quest] or the Fairy Ring A K S. Once you're there, walk all the way south.
• A Ranged level of 55 is required to wield. After you wield it, it gives you a +70 Ranged bonus.
• They hit multiple monsters on a multi area. Their attack is pretty similar to barrage - you can hit up to 9 monsters at a time. That's why it is perfect at Ape Atoll with Monkey Skeletons.
• Not only you can use them at Ape Atoll but also at Mummies, which are located inside the Chaos Tunnel. I, personally, prefer Ape Atoll because Monkey Skeletons are stronger and thus, can provide you with more experience and a faster road to 99 Ranged.

29-Dec-2008 06:40:45 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2011 03:54:53 by Wynd

Wynd

Wynd

= Where to train =
You can train in any place that has multi area available. It doesn't really matter. You will still hit more than one target. However, they are currently two places that are considered the best to train.
• Ape Atoll •
This is currently the best place to train with red chins. To be able to get here, you must have completed the Monkey Madness quest. The location is on the same way you passed through when you wanted to get to the end to speak with the mage Zooknock.
Getting there:
Teleport to Al-Kharid. Head to the Gnome Glider and choose the big tree so it can take you to the Grand Tree. Head down two levels. Go east and speak with Daero. He will teleport you to some type of dungeon. There will be a Gnome to the north. He'll take you Crash Island. Once you arrive at Crash Island, there will be another Gnome named Lumdo. Ask him to take you to Ape Atoll.
Once you arrive at Ape Atoll, head west until you find the '!' symbol on the mini-map. This is the dungeon you're looking for. Once you feel ready, go in. Further information will be available later.
For me, I chose Ape Atoll. Monkey Skeletons are higher in combat and thus, give more experience. It is up to you though.
• Chaos Tunnel •
Here come the Mummies. These are great experience, almost like Ape Atoll, but there is still better. Mummies are level 103 and they have lower hitpoints than Monkey Skeletons at Ape Atoll.
The fastest way to get there is this. There's a dungeon directly south of the Chaos Altar [Runecrafting one]. Go there and enter. Head west. You'll see two portals. You'd want to use the northwestern one. After you enter, head west and you'll be at the Mummies.
Mummies drop items that can be used to pay for the supplies used.
There may be other places but I consider these two the most popular ones and the best.

29-Dec-2008 06:40:50 - Last edited on 10-Feb-2011 22:03:21 by Wynd

Wynd

Wynd

= Recommended Armour/Inventory/Levels =
We all know that a Ranged level of 55 is required to wield them. After this level, you can use them as much as you want. The higher your Ranged level is, the more experience you can get and the more you save. For example, someone with 90 Ranged will waste less money to get 200k experience compared to someone with 70 who will spend way more to get 200k.
• Armour •
You can use any Ranged armour that gives Ranged bonus. All of them will work [Black D'hide, Karil, Armadyl, etc]. The best armour to train with chins is full Void Ranger. The reason is because it gives you 10% more in accuracy in Ranged.
The full Void Ranger set is obtainable from Pest Control. The best world I recommend for this is 144. It is a Pest Control world and it is always full. You will need 850 Pest Control points to purchase the set. It took me two days, straight, to get the full set. It varies from person to person.
After this, I'd recommend you wear:
¤ Fury
¤ Zamorak Book
¤ Ranger boots
¤ Glory [optional for Fury]
¤ Snakeskin boots [optional for Ranger boots]
¤ Ring of Life
¤ Archer Ring
¤ Ava's accumulator or Ava's Alerter [only after the completion of the Do No Evil quest]. The red cape from Soul Wars would be better as it gives a +12 Prayer bonus if you have completed the Nomad's Requiem quest. If you can't get that, wear the Ardougne cloak 3 (+6 Prayer bonus) after you complete all the Hard Tasks from the Ardougne Achievement Diary].
Ring of life will make sure you don't die by teleporting you if you have lower than 10% of your total Constitution level. The Archer ring will give you extra Ranged bonus so if you can afford it, purchase it. It will make your training easier.
Ava's Accumulator/Alerter will simply let you collect steel items while you are chinning.

29-Dec-2008 06:40:54 - Last edited on 09-Feb-2011 16:57:27 by Wynd

Wynd

Wynd

• Inventory •
¤ Two [2] Super anti-poison potions
Leave one space for Monkey Greegree*, and 1-3 for sharks. For those other four spaces, you can bring whatever you like. For example, if you wish to bring 3 more Prayer pots and one Ranged, you will last longer but you won't have food.
*I personally like to bring Monkey Greegree for the following reasons. Firstly, I will not get hit by the Spiders outside the dungeon [making me get poisoned], the monkey zombies or the skeletons until I transform back to normal. The only things that will hit are the floor spikes and the falling rocks. You can avoid that by hiding and avoiding the spikes. I recommend you bring this to safe Prayer points and hitpoints.
• Levels •
A Prayer level of 43 is a must. A level of 55 in Ranged is needed to wield/use red chins.
• Prayer Used •
During my training, I used Eagle Eye all the time. This will definately give you more experience than normal. You will use more Prayer potions but it is worth it. If you have the money, use Eagle Eye to make everything better and get that Ranged skillcape as soon as possible!
• Type of Fuse •
I highly recommend the 'Short Fuse.' Medium Fuse will make you hit faster but not as much as Short Fuse would. You will be wasting your red chincompas if you use any other Fuse. Short Fuse is the way to go because it is more accurate.
I used Medium Fuse at first but when I realized I was wasting money, I switched. I also learned this from another player because I noticed they were hitting pretty high.
After I switched, I started gaining the appropriate experience. Short Fuse for the win.

29-Dec-2008 06:40:57 - Last edited on 09-Feb-2011 17:01:08 by Wynd

Wynd

Wynd

= Experience/Money =
The experience you gain either at Ape Atoll or Chaos Tunnel depends on the armour you're wearing, your Ranged level, the accuracy of hitting and how much you hit them everytime. After 85 Ranged, you can gain up to 200k-250k experience per 1k red chins and up to 300k-400k per hour.
The above varies. You aren't certain on how often you'll hit. You can hit 0s even at 99 Ranged. Sometimes it can get frustrating as you'll think you're losing the chins. But don't worry. This is normal.
Because of this, I did a test myself of three times. First time I received 193k for 1k red chins [at 92 Ranged]. 205k for 1k red chins [at 92 Ranged] and 224k for 1k red chins [at 92 Ranged]. The highest I have ever gotten is 250k per 1k red chins. That's awesome. As I said, it depends on the accuracy of your hits. That's why the full Void Ranger armour is recommended for better results.
The normal experience per 1k red chins from 70-84 is 150k-200k. Again, if you get less, it is because of how often you hit. The normal experience per 1k red chins from 85+ is 200k+. You can gain up to 300k-400k experience per hour here.
• Money •
Don't panic! Yes, unfortunately, lots of cash is involved. If you have 40M+, you may be able to get 99 Ranged in a few days.
From 85-99 Ranged, you'd use about 50k-55k red chins [calculated at around 200k per 1k]. In total, you'd spend from 40M-60M* tops depending on the price you buy each red chin and the other supplies.
*With the return of free trade, red chins have gone up drastically. This number has changed.
Lots of Prayer pots are required. In your way to 99, you will use about 700-1k Prayer pots, 200-300 Ranged pots, and 100 Super anti-poison potions. The 40M-60M* includes all the potions required. Some sharks are needed too but that isn't too much.

29-Dec-2008 06:41:01 - Last edited on 09-Feb-2011 17:06:03 by Wynd

Wynd

Wynd

= Why should you spend that much money? =
It's obvious that you would only spend huge amounts of cash if you currently have it. First of all, you'd safe yourself from wasting hours upon hours getting 40k experience per hour with normal Ranged training. With red chins, you can obtain up to 400k per hour.
• Cons •
¤ Lots of money is required. Between 40M-60M*. The total amount is based on the Grand Exchange price and how much you pay per supply.
¤ That's the only con I can really think of. Fast 99 Ranged is worth it if you're rich or if you have just enough.
• Pros •
¤ You can get 99 Ranged in a few days. It’s better than spending months after months training with normal Ranged. Which would you rather pick; spending few days on 99 or months? I'm sure everyone would pick days. You'll get time to work on other skills too.
¤ Really good Constitution experience. Hitpoints can be rather hard to train and to get to 99. You'll gain a tremendous amount of experience while training for 99 Ranged. Just awesome.
¤ The money you've wasted to get 99 Ranged can be obtained back. Not as easy as it sound but once you reach 99, you can do Armadyl God trips. You can join a team or even make your own. With a few hilt drops*, you can obtain the cash back.
*Hilts aren't 100% drops and are hard to get. That's the reason I'm getting 99 Ranged myself using this method. I'm certain I could get the cash back. I'm also not thinking too much about the money. What matters is the level and the money spent means nothing once I see the skillcape.
¤ Doing Armadyl trips isn't the only way. You can do other Bosses like Saradomin [hilt's price is high too], Bandos and Zamorak. Nex is a great choice as well. All are good if you have the necessary levels.
Good luck obtaining 99 Ranged within a few days.

29-Dec-2008 06:41:06 - Last edited on 09-Feb-2011 17:12:33 by Wynd

Wynd

Wynd

= Sacred Clay Armour =
Skeleton Apes (level-142)
-Stealing Creation Range Coif(1 lasts about 4.6 mins):
101k in 20 mins (400ish chins)
100k in 14 mins (under 350 chins)
200k in 28 mins (656 chins)
245k in 36 mins (816 chins) - 6 x 100% coifs and 1x90%
100k in 15 mins (343 chins)
200k in 27 mins (640 chins)
257k in 38 mins (831 chins) - 7 x 100% coifs
100% Coif - 112 chinchompas/ 36,235xp
---
= Ranged Experience Data =
The following information was provided by Melissa Fynn.
My inventory: Greegree, house tab, super antipoison, shark, holy wrench, 2 range pots, and 21 prayer pots.
My equipment (besides armor) was skill cape(*), archer ring, fury ammy, and ranger boots.
Full armadyl and barrows gloves
start xp- 10,725,368 (97)
final xp- 11,109,492 (97)
-384124 xp gained
1895 chins used
202 xp per chin
Void Range
start xp-11,109,492 (97)
final xp-11,556,460 (97)
-446,968 xp gained
1943 chins used
230 xp per chin
Void Range
start xp-11,556,460 (97)
final xp-11,996,742 (98)
-440,242 xp gained
1843 chins used
238 xp per chin
Void Range
start xp-12,004,294 (98)
final xp-12,418,645 (98)
-414,351 xp gained
1752 chins used
236 xp per chin

29-Dec-2008 06:41:11 - Last edited on 09-Feb-2011 17:18:01 by Wynd

Wynd

Wynd

This was provided by: Dada Suprem1. All credits to him/her!
- Spirit Terrorbird was used to hold some items (not recommended, they die easily).
- Stealing creation coifs were used! You will only obtain double xp if you equip this item, and it must ber charged.
- XP rates vary due to your Ranged level and the bonuses you are getting from your armour/ wielded items.
- Ranging potions were used if the boosted level dropped below two higher than my Ranged level.
The below rates are subject to change as my Ranged level increases:
Start xp: 4,386,682xp (88)
Final xp: 4,618,766xp (88)
Total gain: 232,084xp
Time Taken: Approx. one hour
Start amount of red chins: 1000
Final amount of red chins: 413
Total amount of red chins used: 587
Average xp per chin: Total gain/total amount of red chins used = 232,084/587 = 395xp!
That's right, 395xp per chin!
Inventory:
- 20 x Prayer potions (shared between character invent. and familiar invent.)
- 2 x Ranging potions
- 2 x Shark
- 1 x Holy Wrench
- 7 x Stealing Creation coifs (double xp comes from here)
- 1 x Varrock teleport
- 20 x Tireless run scrolls (not needed if at ape atoll, only used at mummies because there's a lot of running around)
Equipment:
- Black d'hide set
- 1000 x Red Chinchompas
- Glory amulet
- Unholy book
- Ava's accumulator
- Ring of life
Tips:
- Try to find a spot where they all nicely stack, you can attack up to 9 Mummies at once like this.
- Don't use Eagle Eye when you don't need it, only when attacking. Save prayer.
- If using SC coifs, remember to change them once they run out of charges!

29-Dec-2008 06:41:15 - Last edited on 09-Feb-2011 17:17:55 by Wynd

Wynd

Wynd

= How to do the Calculation =
99 Ranged: 13,034,431 experience.
Difference: 13,034,431 - 1,986,068 = 11,048,363 experience.
Divide that by 200 to get the amount of red chincompas needed from 80-99: 11,048,363/200 = 55241.815 red chincompas will be needed.
I always add an extra 1k red chincompas, in most cases, up to 2k-4k, depending on your Ranged level. Higher Ranged means higher experience per red chincompa used.
So, since I have 80 Ranged [in this example], we'll put 57,000 Red Chincompas to be in the safe side. You may use less, all or more than the ones calculated as it always varies.
That's how to calculate the amount of red chincompas needed from your current level to the one you wish for or even 99 Ranged.
Now for the price...
Simply use that amount [in this example, 57,000 red chincompas] and multiply for the price you're paying for, let's say 857, which is Market Price. That means you will pay 48,849,000 for red chincompas only.
There will be additional prices, for example, Prayer potions which are definitely needed. I don't have a set number of Prayer potions that you will use along the way because it will change between players.
Simply buy as many as you need and add that to the total price, which is 48,849,000 for this example. You'll also need super anti-poison potions but not that many. A few sharks too.
Remember, don't hesitate to post your questions!
¤ Thanks Broncochamp1 for the idea of adding this! ¤

29-Dec-2008 06:41:20 - Last edited on 09-Feb-2011 17:17:49 by Wynd

Quick find code: 98-99-254-58152009 Back to Top