Forums

Kags POP Encyclopedia V6

Quick find code: 75-76-639-66118461

Blue Spad
Feb Member 2014

Blue Spad

Posts: 2,074 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi Kags, thanks for the guide. I was wondering, how would you go about trying to get bis crew members without completely ruining the ability to send out trade voyages daily? Would you just focus on one crew member at a time and keep selling/buying that crew member until you roll a good one? For additional context, shield region and all crew members are level 10 right now. Also, can you tell if a crew member will be good the moment after buying them, or would you need to level them up to 10?

Thanks!

25-Feb-2021 19:13:23

Kags
Nov Member 2017

Kags

Posts: 20,299 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Blue Spad said :
Hi Kags, thanks for the guide. I was wondering, how would you go about trying to get bis crew members without completely ruining the ability to send out trade voyages daily? Would you just focus on one crew member at a time and keep selling/buying that crew member until you roll a good one? For additional context, shield region and all crew members are level 10 right now. Also, can you tell if a crew member will be good the moment after buying them, or would you need to level them up to 10?

Thanks!

I would work on 1 Terracotta Merchant, 1 Exile, 1 Morale, 1 Combat, and 1 Seafaring (so 5 crew in total) at once. Assuming you are completely dedicated to improving your entire crew. You can tell if a crew/captain is good the moment you hire them.

There's no "guaranteed" way to get favorable traits, unless there's a beta test/world going on.

You are more likely to find traits (mostly positive, rarely negative ones) and/or personal bonuses on crew with good examine options though.

Examples:
* Seventh child of a seventh child
* Hunts sea monsters for fun
* Carves spoons from teak
* Wants to be buried at sea
* A little less briny than the sea

~Portmaster Kags :)
Kags Player Owned Ports (POP) Encyclopedia V6
HLF V5

25-Feb-2021 19:39:19 - Last edited on 25-Feb-2021 19:48:57 by Kags

WR E C KE D
Feb Member 2021

WR E C KE D

Posts: 205 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi Kags, just curious how do I know what captains to buy? Idk if i just haven't come across any good ones in a while but it seems like every time I look they aren't as good as the captains i currently have even taking the level difference into account. I haven't gotten a new captain in over a region. Also, should i prioritize story progress or trade goods in my special missions? I'm currently in the scythe region so not really close to being able to make anything. Thanks!

05-Mar-2021 01:49:36

evilphan
Mar Member 2016

evilphan

Posts: 32 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I started PORTS long ago without reading anything. Now I realize that I am really far away from the beginning and have never gotten even First Mates. I've gone back to the Arc (at least I hope so), but no first mates. I just go everyday and do voyages that will give me bamboo, hoping that a first mate will show up. But none, so I'm not sure what to do now.

Not sure if this is where to ask

O_o

05-Mar-2021 02:21:54

Kags
Nov Member 2017

Kags

WR E C KE D said :
Hi Kags, just curious how do I know what captains to buy? Idk if i just haven't come across any good ones in a while but it seems like every time I look they aren't as good as the captains I currently have even taking the level difference into account. I haven't gotten a new captain in over a region.

Also, should I prioritize story progress or trade goods in my special missions? I'm currently in the scythe region so not really close to being able to make anything. Thanks!

In Shield region, you can buy captains that cost 35K chimes. In the regions before Shield (Hook-Loop), the best captains you can buy cost 10K chimes (do not buy Speed-based ones).

Always prioritize story voyages if they appear for special voyages.

~Portmaster Kags :)
HLF V5

05-Mar-2021 18:28:22

Kags
Nov Member 2017

Kags

evilphan said :
I started PORTS long ago without reading anything. Now I realize that I am really far away from the beginning and have never gotten even First Mates. I've gone back to the Arc (at least I hope so), but no first mates. I just go everyday and do voyages that will give me bamboo, hoping that a first mate will show up. But none, so I'm not sure what to do now.

Not sure if this is where to ask

O_o

What's your farthest region atm?

For Solidarity trait bonuses, you only need First Mates if you are still in Arc region. Eastern Overseers are far better once in Skull region. Bureaucrats even better in Scythe region. Judges of Dice in Bowl region. Finally, Kharidian Exiles in Shield region.

~Portmaster Kags
HLF V5

05-Mar-2021 18:35:12

evilphan
Mar Member 2016

evilphan

Thanks!

I am in the Loop a the Straits of the Oyster Pearl, 90% to next Zone. So now will I need to go back and get all the items I didnt buy/get? If, not then I will just follow your great tutorial!

Thanks again

06-Mar-2021 00:55:21

Kags
Nov Member 2017

Kags

evilphan said :
Thanks!

I am in the Loop a the Straits of the Oyster Pearl, 90% to next Zone. So now will I need to go back and get all the items I didn't buy/get? If, not then I will just follow your great tutorial!

Thanks again

Are you 90% done with Loop region, or still need 90% to go (10% done with Loop)?

You should go back and get all previous ship and building upgrades.

If you reach Shield region, then buy new rudder, buy 4-6 Shield crew, then train them up in easier regions while getting previous ship/building upgrades.

~Portmaster Kags
HLF V5

06-Mar-2021 19:01:30

evilphan
Mar Member 2016

evilphan

I am not to the Loop yet (I thought I was). I have 6% to get to the Loop. I buy things as I can afford them.
So ship one everything but figurehead of the spires, ram of the bladewing, overwhelming large cannon, bladewing rigging, fineglow lanterns, the last 3 hulls, the last 4 rudders (I could buy 2)
And im working on your crew suggestions.
Buildings:
Bar: luxurious
refurbed office
refitted workshop
daredevil lodgings
nautical shipwright
pristine warehouse
no hotspots
whale skull trophy

I think thats it :)
Thanks so much!

09-Mar-2021 05:00:51