Forums

Stories Forum Hall of Fame Thread is locked

Quick find code: 49-50-985-63538857

Yrolg

Yrolg

Posts: 25,296 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I agree with Aeraie that my first choice is to have no rankings, but in the interest of others' preferences, I have opted to improve the extant system.

I respect the FunOrb decision. It was a long time ago, and I can appreciate the 'in a land far, far away' interpretation. ;)

I will see what I can do in finding the lists. There were two or three 'finalist' contests.

12-Jul-2012 02:50:24

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Posts: 3,785 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My take on the ranking system is and always has been that it is too much of a concreted system for the varying quality of entries in any given contest. This comes hand in hand with the number of entrants per contest. The only way to truly get an accurate system would be to either get everyone to enter every contest, which is obviously not possible.

This results in people like Yrolg -- who consistently place in the top few of some of the most competitive contests -- having a lower "rank" than someone that could potentially have placed a few times in a contest with eight entrants. It's not the case at the moment but with a continued trend of regular contests it would happen.

Again, I question the purpose of actual placings. Is it truly of any benefit to the community? Surely retaining the chronological system of Craddock's thread is more accurate?

Furthermore, to create such a black and white list in an official thread is too hard to confine to past contests exclusively. It almost seems like a judgment (had to work that in somewhere for you, Yrolg ;) ) on the ability of every writer across the forum based on what will eventually be your contests only. With a bi-monthly cycle, the number of contests will eventually introduce so many point opportunities into the ranking system that users who won prior official contests will be lost in other names. The point is that the imbalance in contest saturation can create further imbalance in the accuracy of ranks.

I have other things I could touch on but that's the bulk of my argument so I'll slap that here for thought.

EDIT: Going through the entries for that contest again, my story on page eight cuts the "s" off of "his" and "neck".

12-Jul-2012 05:17:28 - Last edited on 13-Jul-2012 04:54:33 by Borna Coric

Aeraie

Aeraie

Posts: 9,100 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In all honesty, there really isn't a good way to go about placing the names down. There's really no fair system in which everyone would be given equal opportunity, but there's not too much we can really do about it.

12-Jul-2012 07:30:27

Yam42

Yam42

Posts: 1,134 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I also agree. The ranks could easily turn into one of those you-know-what slinging contests that are so prevalent on the Internet. It hasn't happened yet, but disaster is always only a few comments away.

12-Jul-2012 16:44:49

Old Gnomish
Jul Member 2023

Old Gnomish

Posts: 2,569 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I am in agreement with everyone else's opinions.

You also have to remember that if we keep the hierarchical-based ranking system currently used, those who have competed in contests from years ago are only going to slip down the rankings as newer writers occupy the top spots. This seems unfair to old forumers and is not a true reflection of their brilliant writing.

I say get rid of any form of ranking and, as Poller said, "list the competitions, and who won them. Nothing else much matters".
Snow
| Runescape Stories Forum |
Guildmaster - The Novelists' Guild

12-Jul-2012 17:50:23

Cozmic

Cozmic

Forum Moderator Posts: 16,435 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've removed the rankings. To be honest though, the point that there may be actual controversy over them may sound good in a theoretical sense, but it never would have actually happened. It's impossible to get anything done if everyone is too concerned with what worst-case scenarios could happen, instead of what is likely to occur. After all, no one even commented about the list for weeks on end after it was originally added.

That said, the list has been removed.

13-Jul-2012 00:50:33

Poller5
Dec Member 2023

Poller5

Posts: 11,421 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm not concerned about potential controversy; I'm concerned about the false impression they create, and the general schlockiness inherent in having them at all. A Hall of Fame should be simple, classy, and commemorate (in this case) the best that the Stories Forum has to offer. This thread is already more of a trophy case than a true Hall of Fame (which is unfortunate, but ultimately unavoidable), and having so-called "rankings" really stretches its credibility.

I appreciate the work you do curating this thread (and that this thread exists), but let's not try to make it anything more than it can be. Commemoration, not judgment, should be the order of the day.

13-Jul-2012 01:13:55

Quick find code: 49-50-985-63538857 Back to Top