Forums

-=± Outlander ±=-

Quick find code: 49-50-803-41843837

Roshinda

Roshinda

Posts: 6,271 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Welcome to my newest (and first ever completed) story!

I hope that by clicking this, you will take the time to read it, and then post a comment. I love comments. I only ask that you please abide by the forum rules, and if you have any criticisms, make it constructive.

This is only a short story (by my standards), so it shouldn't take much of your time.

This story is now complete! In my opinion, this is my best work to date, and it is the first piece I have ever finished, discluding stories under 5 posts.

Please enjoy!

=================
29 story posts
=================

The story can be found on the first three pages of this thread as well as page 45.

05-Apr-2007 12:17:41 - Last edited on 29-Apr-2007 14:07:24 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

(¯`¤'¯)Part One(¯`¤'¯)

It was spring, the time of year when the air loses its biting chill of winter, and the wind comes from the south, softer and more enticing, bringing with it a hint of warmer places. In the spring, the frost loosens its frozen grip on the earth, and even in the tundra of the north, things begin to grow, those hardy plants and herbs on which my people rely for sustenance. The snow never completely melts this far north, especially in the mountainous regions where I grew up; however, the warming sun and the gentle southerly wind do bring a partial thaw, and for a few blissful months of the year, we can shed the thick, cumbersome furs of our outer clothing.

During the spring before I came of age, though, the thaw brought something new with the warming winds: a caravan of travelers from the south. Of course, where else would they have been from, as everything is south in relation to that mountain town?

That winter was a lonely one for me, but the transitional years always are for the youth. Most of the boys I had grown up with had become men in the previous two years, having been successful at the Hunt. War, of course, was the best way to prove one's manhood and be accepted into the Hall of Men, but as wars had been scarce for decades, we all had to make do with the Hunt.

As custom dictated, I had been joining the men on the Hunt for two years, since my fourteenth summer. Although I had caught animals many times before, practicing with friends, I had yet to be successful when it counted. I was determined that my third Hunt would be different. Already I was the oldest of the boys, and although I still had a few friends among the younger ones, I longed for companions my own age. Once admitted into the Hall of Men, young men no longer associate with boys, no matter how close they had been in childhood.

05-Apr-2007 12:17:55 - Last edited on 06-Apr-2007 23:25:58 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

Neither was I allowed to socialize with the girls I had known in childhood. They were all under tight supervision as they prepared for womanhood and becoming wives. Two of the girls I had grown up with were married already, in fact, and one of them even had a child; a son born in the deep of winter.

I was impossibly lonely, and prone to bouts of moody restlessness. When they struck, I would wander off on my own, as far away from my village as I dared. Often I would be gone for days at a time, tracking kebbits for meat and hides to take home to my father. Until I was accepted into the clan as a man, I wouldn't be able to start a fur pile of my own.

Thinking about it angered me. I could build my father's fur pile right to the top of the Great Hall, and it would accomplish nothing, and I would still not be considered a man. My way of tracking and snaring the kebbits was considered inferior, cowardly, womanly. Though trapping larger animals in pits, or killing them in combat often damaged the pelts my people so highly valued, it was the only way I was going to join the ranks of the men. What's more, I had to do it publicly, so there was no doubt of my abilities.

After my second trapping excursion of the year, before the thaw had made any sign of appearing, I had six particularly fine skins to take home to my father's pile. Far from the thanks I had hoped he would give me, he snatched the hides from my hands and threw them onto the floor, and trampled on them.

"You ungrateful, worthless cub!" he shouted at me, his face purple and contorting with rage. "I thought I had a son, but it turns out I have only daughters! If you cannot be a warrior, why can you not at least be a worthy hunter?" I could see anger in his eyes as he raised a giant hand to strike me, but I darted out of his reach and ran beyond him, leaving the tent.

05-Apr-2007 12:18:04 - Last edited on 06-Apr-2007 23:27:57 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

Dark smoke billowed out of the smoke hole at the top of our tent, and my nostrils were filled with the acrid stench of burning hair. I knew my father had thrown my furs into the fire.

That was not the first time my father had exploded in such an outburst. He often went into violent rages, at my expense. I knew he was tormented by the other men over my failings at least as much as I was taunted by my peers. I was a disappointment and a burden to him, and I did not begrudge him his reaction. That particular outburst taught me something though. From that moment, as I was fleeing my father's wrath, I vowed that I would never store up pelts for him again. Recognised by my people as a man or not, I *would* start my own fur pile, and I would be a man by the end of the summer. I had much practicing to do.

For two weeks I felled the stunted trees that grew clinging to the side of the mountain, which I then hewed into rough planks. After lashing the planks together I constructed a raised platform in a secluded spot sheltered in the lee of the mountain, a half days brisk walk from my village. It was on that platform, covered to keep out the elements, that I stored my furs.

By the time the thaw had well and truly arrived, my small fur pile consisted of about two dozen hides, mostly the fine white pelts of the kebbits I still loved to track. A few of the hides belonged to the rare rabbit or fox I managed to fell with my throwing axe. Most prized in my collection though, was the dark, coarse skin of a young bear.

05-Apr-2007 12:18:17 - Last edited on 02-May-2007 10:43:33 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

Those final days of winter and into the spring, while the snow yet lingered, I spent all of my time hunting in the acceptable fashion, sharpening my aim and increasing the speed and strength with which I threw my axe. I was not very skilled, which was why I had two failed Hunts behind me, but I did manage to kill my prey on the occasions my aim was true, more often than not. I trained with desperation for I did not think I could bear the humiliation of failing yet another Hunt. Often I wished bitterly for a rite of passage such as was rumored to be the tradition with our Rellekkan cousins, or better yet, for a heated but short-lived war to break out.

Because I had strayed far from my village to find solitary hunting grounds, I came to be the first to lay eyes on a strange sight. My village was rather isolated, high up on the mountain as it was, and it was rare that we would get visitors with news from a nearby village. Never before had a visit taken the shape of the one I saw in the distance.

At the base of the mountain, a fair ways off yet, two large brown horses pulled a wagon laden with what appeared to be blankets and tents. A group of people trailed along behind the wagon team. It only took a glance to determine that they were outlanders, for they were all dark haired, whereas we Fremmeniks are always fair. Neither do we use beasts of burden in that manner.

As quickly as I could manage it I sprinted back up the snow covered mountain trail to my home. "Outlanders!" I shouted a warning when I was within earshot of my village. My voice was shrill with edgy excitement.

"There are people, outlanders, approaching from the south," I panted to my gathering clan-mates while I fought for breath. "They will be here within a day, perhaps longer at the pace they are going."

05-Apr-2007 12:18:28 - Last edited on 06-Apr-2007 11:30:13 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

Dolkor, the Chieftain, had arrived by then and pressed me for as many details as I could give him. I told him that there were about a dozen travelers, that I could see. No it didn't look like they were prepared for war; I had seen no sign of weapons or armour, not to mention they were so few in number. I did not know what their purpose was, neither could I, nor anyone else surmise it.

We armed ourselves while we waited for them. Outlanders, especially this far north, were not to be trusted.

(¯`¤'¯)

And so it was that an army threescore strong was assembled the following afternoon to greet the party of outlanders. Each man wore a double-horned helm; both protection and a weapon, and such armour as could be readied on short notice. Though we are a warrior clan it had been a great many years since anyone had seen a war, and many had never been and had no need of armour. Their faces were stern and their axes were sharp. Even with ill-fitting or unpolished armour they were a fearsome sight.

I say 'they', for I was not among them. I was made to stand behind the warriors with the women and children. My cheeks were red with shame.

When the caravan was in sight but yet a little ways off, Dolkor stepped forward a few paces. The sun glinted menacingly off his polished shirt of iron mail, and the curved blade of his great axe.

05-Apr-2007 12:18:36 - Last edited on 06-Apr-2007 03:20:46 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

"Stop where you are and come no further," Dolkor commanded. "I am Dolkor Strongbow, son of Siglor, chief of this village. Who are you, and what is your business this far north?"

The man at the head of the caravan raised his hand to his people, and the travelers halted. His other arm he raised in a gesture of peace as he called out, "My name is Luke Derbyn. We bring no ill will. We have come from Kandarin and have been many long weeks in travel. We desire only some flat land on which to pitch our tents and stay a few days and talk with you."

The man who spoke looked weary, and his companions, though wide-eyed with curiosity and fear, looked ready to drop with exhaustion. His companions numbered ten: six other men, three women, and a child of about five. They looked tired, hungry, and harmless. Doubtless the Chieftain perceived this also.

"Very well," Dolkor pronounced, "you may set up camp. But remember that our numbers are many, and we are strong. If there is any trouble, things will go ill with you."

The armed men parted and the travelers passed single-file between their ranks. It was a show of strength, that they might remember Dolkor's words. The last to file through were the three women. Two were middle aged, presumably the wives of the men, and one of them tightly clutched a hand of the crying child.

The last woman, though up close I could see was barely entered into womanhood, was maybe fifteen summers old. Like the others, her hair was dark, somewhere between brown and black, long and straight. Her eyes were downcast, but as she went past she looked up, and I was trapped in the fathomless depths of those dark eyes. Even when she had moved on behind me she turned her head and kept watching me, until she stumbled and our gaze was broken. Only then did I dare to breathe.

05-Apr-2007 12:18:42 - Last edited on 02-May-2007 10:44:13 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

(¯`¤'¯)

In the morning I set out early, as usual, for my hunting grounds to clear my head. Twice I threw my axe, and both times it landed nowhere near my targeted prey. As I picked my axe up the second time, the bushes behind me rustled. I readied my axe. The dark eyed girl from the caravan poked her head out of the bushes and I stilled my throw just in time.

"What are you doing?" I called rather angrily, annoyed at having been interrupted, "I could have killed you!"

"Doubtful," she laughed. "Your aim isn't very good, you probably would have missed."

My face flushed hotly at having my failing pointed out so flippantly. "What are you doing here anyway?" I asked to change the subject.

"I followed you," she answered easily, laughing again. "It was easy, you leave enough tracks."

"But why?" I couldn't understand why anyone would seek me out.

"I wanted to meet you, to talk to you. Yesterday when I saw you, you looked so sad and lonely. Not angry and frightening like the others." She shivered with the memory. "I wanted to find out why you seem different. Why weren't you with the others anyway? Oh!" she exclaimed as an afterthought before I could reply, for which I was grateful not to have to. "I haven't introduced myself. My name is Rebecca Derbyn." After telling me her name she extended her right hand.

I didn't understand her custom, but I stuck my hand out as well, to be polite. "I am Arik, son of Bartin," I told her, relieved to have avoided a sensitive topic.

Rebecca grabbed my out-thrust hand and shook it. "Pleased to meet you Arik," she gushed. "So tell me, what brings the sad son of Bartin out here alone?"

05-Apr-2007 12:18:59 - Last edited on 01-May-2007 13:19:48 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

"I come out here to clear my head... to think... and to hunt. You can see I'm not very good, I need the practice. But out here that doesn't matter, I can be a man." The words were out of my mouth before I even had time to think. I slapped my hand over my mouth in shock: I had just revealed my most secret thoughts to a complete stranger.

Rebecca's face softened. "Oh, so that's it then," she said quietly. "No wonder you looked so left out..." She sort of trailed off, and I realised that she was now blushing. "I'm sorry, I'm not helping am I? I have a habit of just blurting out whatever I'm thinking without stopping to consider what effect it might have. I'll leave you to practice. It was nice meeting you Arik." Turning around, Rebecca started to walk back towards the village.

"No wait!" I called after her. She stopped and turned to face me. "You don't have to leave, Rebecca, I've liked having you here. It's nice to have someone my age to talk to for a change."

She smiled broadly, with her teeth, and her eyes crinkled up. It made me smile too. "I'm glad. I get lonely too, with only adults to talk to, and Leo I guess, but he's only six. By the way, you can call me Bec. I've never liked Rebecca, it's too long and formal."

"I will if you want me to, but Rebecca is such a pretty name, not like the short, rough names of my people. I like how it sounds on my tongue." I felt awkward, talking to her like that. I was drawn to her from the first, and everything she said made me like her more. I was so hungry for friendship though, I didn't want to say anything that would ruin it.

Rebecca laughed again. She loved to laugh, I'd noticed, and I loved to hear it. "You're just saying that to be nice," she scolded, "but call me what you like. Rebecca doesn't sound too bad when you say it."

05-Apr-2007 12:19:06 - Last edited on 07-Apr-2007 11:14:34 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

The crisp spring air had brought a rosy glow to her cheeks. She looked so beautiful, standing in the ankle deep snow with a few white flakes caught in her dark hair. Suddenly I wanted to reach out and kiss her. I resisted the urge though, I didn't want to scare her. It seemed like she liked me too, but I still had my doubts. What if she really did just want a friend to talk to and I ruined it for both of us?

Instead, I asked: "So, how long are you going to be here?"

Bec shook her head. "I don't know. It could be a few days, or it could be a few weeks. It depends if anyone listens to what my father has to say, or if we get thrown out and sent on our way again." She took a breath and sighed. "I hope we can stay. I'm so weary of traveling all the time."

Her answer alarmed me slightly. I had forgotten that we still knew nothing about her people, and their purpose in our village. "What does he have to say that might get you all thrown out? The chieftain wasn't joking when he warned against causing any trouble."

"Oh, nothing like that," she quickly replied. "He's a missionary. He dragged me along after my mother died last year, and the others have all joined us along the way. Some people object to what he tells them. If it becomes obvious that we are no longer welcome, we pick up and leave. There's never any trouble."

"I see." I hoped she wouldn't guess that I had no idea what a missionary was. "And what exactly does he mission?"

Rebecca laughed brightly. "His god silly. A missionary is kind of like a traveling priest."

I wished I hadn't said anything. Now I looked ignorant as well as incompetent, what a great way to impress a girl. I had thought that a missionary was like a peddler, I'd met a peddler once. Luckily I was saved and had a chance to redeem myself when the nearby bushes began to rustle again.

05-Apr-2007 12:19:13 - Last edited on 09-Apr-2007 03:25:48 by Roshinda

Quick find code: 49-50-803-41843837 Back to Top