Forums

-=± Outlander ±=-

Quick find code: 49-50-803-41843837

Roshinda

Roshinda

Posts: 6,271 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bec's face fell and she put her arms around me. "Oh no! That's terrible! What are you going to do now?"

"There's nothing I can do," I snapped, shrugging her off. She looked hurt, but I didn't want to be consoled. What I needed was to blow off some steam. "I'm bound to the clan and its rules. I must obey them, even if they don't make sense. I'm trapped..."

I was devastated and embittered towards the entire clan. All I had done was defend the woman I loved, and now I was being forced to endure another year of humiliation. The worst part was knowing I was ready but wouldn't get the chance to prove it. "I'm sorry Bec, you don't deserve any of this. If I could, I would marry you, I hope you know that. Even if I could go on the hunt though, it would still be impossible, I'd have to find a wife within the clan. We can't be together - we shouldn't be together, and I'm sorry for getting involved at all."

My eyes began to sting and I quickly stood up and walked a bit until I got a grip on my sudden emotions. I felt betrayed by my own clan, and it cut me deep.

"Did you ever think about leaving?" I heard Bec ask.

I stopped and shook my head. "I can't," I answered without turning around. "They're my people. Besides, if I leave I'll be exiled." When I turned around Rebecca was still sitting on the rock, looking forlorn. My heart ached for her and I started towards her when she whispered with a catch in her voice:

"Why? What holds you to them? You have no great affection for any of them, and they treat you poorly. Why must you put up with it?" A single tear rolled down her cheek; I wiped it away with my thumb.

"Shh, don't cry." Rebecca was strong, I had never seen her cry before and I didn't know what to do. I embraced her and pulled her close to my chest, stroking her hair. "Where would I go? This is my life, I know no other way."

05-Apr-2007 12:26:44 - Last edited on 01-May-2007 13:22:38 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

"Come with me. When my father returns for me before the winter, come join us." She looked up at me with those large, dark eyes of hers and I was compelled to agree.

I smiled and kissed her softly on the lips. "Alright, I will."

The summer passed quickly, as summers are wont to do. Everything was transformed into vibrant greens and bright arrays of colour for a few short months before, all too soon, fading back again into the dismal greys and browns of autumn.

Rebecca tried her best to distract me when the men all went out to the Hunt. She was wonderful, but I was too angry and despondent to forget the fact that I was the only one left behind, save for the women, young children, and old, blind Hagi who had been on more Hunts than anyone and had earned a rest. I alone was left, I alone was a failure.

The men set out in the middle of the season, ranging far from the mountain in search of large prey. Two weeks later they returned, heavily laden with enough meat to see us through the winter, once it had been preserved by the women. As always, we continued eating the small game as we caught it, until the snows came.

In the meantime, Bec and I talked. We planned where we would go and what we would do when we joined the caravan and headed south. I had never been anywhere else besides my village and had no idea what to expect. I knew that Fremmenik Province, of which even that I had seen so little, was only a part of the world, but I'd had no idea how vast it was, or how different.

Rebecca filled my head with stories of the places she had seen. I heard of cities made entirely of stone, even the dwelling places. Supposedly cities are full of noise and people, though there is very little in the way of growing things. She told me also of deserts that are hot and dry and brown, inhabited by few, and islands nestled in a wide expanse of ocean. Many of the places she told me of, even she had never seen, only heard of in stories.

05-Apr-2007 12:26:51 - Last edited on 01-May-2007 13:23:17 by Roshinda

Roshinda

Roshinda

And so we passed the summer together, and Autumn fell cold and dreary. The fierce, chill winds of winter returned, and the elders predicted that it would come early and be particularly harsh.

05-Apr-2007 12:26:58 - Last edited on 01-May-2007 13:24:04 by Roshinda

Quick find code: 49-50-803-41843837 Back to Top