Forums

Darkest Secrets—Story Contest

Quick find code: 49-50-523-63770340

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Posts: 3,785 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
To judge or not to judge...
I have a general idea of what I would do if I were to enter but I really did enjoy going through all of those entries last time.
I suppose I'll enter unless you need more judges, Coz.
You should enter, Aeraie!

05-Jun-2012 06:44:14

Yam42

Yam42

Posts: 1,134 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I may sit this one out. I'm a bit disappointed in myself from the last competition. I also feel as though I've lost sight of my original intentions for writing, so that's kind of important right now. And quite frankly, I don't think I'm ready to embarrass myself again.
Still, I'll be mulling over the prompt. If I manage to (finally) come up with something that is not bland and hackneyed, I may actually enter.
EDIT: I've had a change of heart. I believe I will be entering the competition, provided some sort of inspiration strikes me (I simply cannot write without it. As the meme goes, "One does not simply 'write' a story.&quot ;)
I look forward to competing again and to seeing the entries of everyone else.

05-Jun-2012 17:57:20 - Last edited on 05-Jun-2012 23:46:33 by Yam42

Aeraie

Aeraie

Posts: 9,100 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lebbeh, the idea I immediately came up with was enjoyably deranged, and I doubt I could pull it off. If a bunch of people want to be judges or the competition severely lacks in entries, I'll enter, but I think it would be fun to judge as well.

06-Jun-2012 01:18:52

Yam42

Yam42

Well, since I think I may be entering this one as well, I have a few questions so I can better understand the prompt:
1. It is possible to write a fictional narrative of a nonfictional occurrence? For instance, it is possible and fair to dramatize the conspiracy and coverup behind the assassination of Rasputin?
2. May the entry be symbolic in nature, so long as the presence of the general criteria is noticeable?
3. After the secret is discovered, may the story come full-circle? In other words, may the secret become hidden once again through the death of the discoverer or some sort of other occurrence that would allow the secret to be re-hidden?
Thanks!

06-Jun-2012 01:55:41

Cozmic

Cozmic

Forum Moderator Posts: 16,435 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"1. It is possible to write a fictional narrative of a nonfictional occurrence? For instance, it is possible and fair to dramatize the conspiracy and coverup behind the assassination of Rasputin? "
That's fine, since it's been long enough ago. If you write about anything like that such that anyone involved is still alive, though, then you'll need to make a parallel and not use any names. I don't want this to be too political.
---
"2. May the entry be symbolic in nature, so long as the presence of the general criteria is noticeable? "
Yep, as long as the parallel is clear.
---
"3. After the secret is discovered, may the story come full-circle? In other words, may the secret become hidden once again through the death of the discoverer or some sort of other occurrence that would allow the secret to be re-hidden? "
That's fine.

06-Jun-2012 02:40:39

[#9TN07P1F6]

[#9TN07P1F6]

Posts: 341 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Definitely doing this one, if I can come up with a good idea.
I didn't read the one entry already posted for fear of being funneled into their idea, but I saw it was sci-fi. I'm thinking of doing the same kind of thing. Glad to see another sci-fi fan on these forums!

06-Jun-2012 02:51:50

Yam42

Yam42

Thanks for the rapid response, Coz! Everyone is such a great correspondent on this forum.
I'm also a sci-fi fan, but I don't do very well with writing the genre myself. Oh well. "Practice, practice, practice," as they say.
Although, while we're on the subject of genres, is anyone a steampunk fan? It really is a great genre. I recommend you check it out!

06-Jun-2012 03:07:13

Quick find code: 49-50-523-63770340 Back to Top