Forums

The Empty Lord

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"That," he retorted, "is why I am Hazeel the Immortal of the Fifth Family. You cannot cut me, and you cannot kill me."
Hazeel approached him, and then he swung another blade across Spyridon's neck, decapitating the Assassin instead. "And yours won't grow back," he said as he watched the lifeless head and body of Spyridon the Assassin fall in unison to hit the cold stone ground.
-------------------------------
As the battles diverged into the city of Senntisten, the drama unfolded on the balcony. Zamorak stood poised over a weakened Zaros, flanked by demons. Zamorak reached down to pick up the Staff of Armadyl from the floor.
"Now, Zaros," he began, "this can happen the easy way or the hard way."
"I'm never going to make you a god," Zaros snapped back.
"I think you're forgetting who holds all the cards here. I am in a position to do all sorts of things, things that will come to pass if you choose to be...uncooperative."
Zaros inclined in rage. "After what I've seen you do already? There's no way a man like you can become a god!"
Zamorak still just smiled smugly. "Now, let's bring out temptation number one, shall we?"
He snapped his fingers. One of the demons came to his side and whispered in his ear. Zaros could tell by the monster's posture that he did not bear good news.
"What?" demanded Zamorak, his rage rising, sending small embers rushing across the balcony. "What do you mean, he escaped? I had a Mahjarrat guarding him!"
Zaros ears perked up. "Zayd? You tried to kidnap Zayd?" Zamorak's look of frustration was all the verification Zaros needed. Finally, some breathing room. "Well, looks like you're not as in control as you think!"
Zamorak finally composed himself. "Wrong, my Emperor. Viggora, bring the first one out."

10-Nov-2009 22:16:33

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Viggora turned and walked over to the door. Ruari, still hiding behind one of the pillars, started to make a move, but thought better of it. He allowed Viggora to reach the door and bring out the person sitting behind it. Zaros's heart stopped when he saw who it was.
It was Esther. She was bound with ropes, and Viggora dragged her out and threw her in front of Zamorak. She knelt there, staring hopelessly at her husband with terror in her eyes.
Zamorak began to chuckle as the two lovers looked at each other. "Now, temptation number two was meant to really get you thinking. Viggora!"
Viggora reached to his belt and pulled out a steel scimitar. He tossed it to Zamorak, who caught it and held it to Esther's throat. "Now, Zaros, I'm getting impatient," he whispered. "Give me the Mantle, or she dies."
Zaros sat there, contemplating the events that swirled around him at a fever pitch. His choice was obvious at first sight: his wife's life depended on him. However, Ihrba*ka's warning was ominous, and he shuddered to think what Zamorak would do with the Mantle.
“I’m not kidding, Zaros.” He nudged Esther’s neck with the blade, opening a small cut in her skin. Blood began to trickle out of the new wound. Zaros felt a lump in his throat as he prepared to ask for the Staff.
“Don’t do it!” yelled Esther suddenly, so that almost everyone on the balcony jumped, startled. “Remember what Ihrba*ka said! Don’t give in!”
“Shut up, woman!” barked Zamorak, delivering a swift kick to her leg. Esther screamed in pain, but still she looked at Zaros.
“Don’t destroy the world because of me! If you love me, listen to me!”
Zaros simply sat on the platform in silence, mulling over the dilemma and realizing that he could do nothing to save everything at this point. He choked back the tears that welled behind his eyes; he wouldn’t give Zamorak the satisfaction.
“Please,” Esther pleaded weakly. Zamorak’s face was contorted with rage.

10-Nov-2009 22:17:11

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Zaros bowed his head, hiding his tear-stained eyes. “I will never make you a god, Zamorak!”
Zamorak frowned. “So be it. Her blood is on your hands!” And with that, Zamorak pulled back his hand, and then he struck the blade at Esther’s neck.
---------------------
“Lord Zaros, the feast is almost ready!” came a voice from down the corridor.
“Ah,” Zayd replied. “That would be our cue to make an entrance.”
The two rulers got up, and then they began the journey down the corridor toward the banquet hall. “You’re going to love it,” Zayd remarked. “My chefs are the best in the Empire, and we’re going all out for this.”
“It’s hard to believe it’s been a whole year,” Zaros replied.
“But since you took up the crown, the Empire is more prosperous than ever! You should hear how the people praise you in the streets!”
Zaros smiled. “Something as fickle as that could change in an instant.”
“True, true. Well, we may as well do our best while we have the chance.”
Zaros nodded. Lassar, the city centered on the icy highlands around the Ice Mountain, had become one of the most prosperous cities in the Empire. It was difficult to beat Senntisten in commerce, and Dareeyak was a vital agricultural city, but Lassar’s mining industry was unparalleled. Zayd had come a long way since he had first met Zaros, a slave on the run from the Mahjarrat.
“Here we are!” Zayd announced cheerfully. He pushed open the nearby door, and the pair walked through. They were greeted by applause as they came in and sat down at the head table. Zaros sat in the center, with Zayd on his right. Azzanadra was already in his seat waiting, on Zaros’* left. The remainder of the seats housed various other dignitaries and business leaders of Lassar. Finally, everyone sat down, and the food was ready to be served.

10-Nov-2009 22:17:58

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Servants came walking down the aisles, presenting food to the four long rows of tables in the hall. Zayd had so many servants, the entire hall was served in no time at all. At the head table, Zaros started eating, and at his cue, the rest of the guests began as well. The dinner was just as spectacular as Zayd had promised, but it had only just begun when suddenly the loud sound of breaking glass resounded throughout the hall.
“What’s going on?” demanded Zayd.
“There!” pointed Azzanadra.
On the second table, toward the end facing the head table, one of the guests had knocked his glass off onto the stone floor. He had done so because he was flailing about, grasping his throat and gasping for breath.
“He’s choking!” someone called out.
They all stood, and Zaros was preparing to go help the poor man when one of the servants stepped forward. She grabbed the choking man from behind and made a sharp jab up at his chest. The bone was dislodged, and the man crumpled over onto the table, breathing heavily.
The crowd suddenly started to applaud, and the servant girl blushed. She started to go back into the kitchen, when Zaros called out, “Wait! Come here!”
She stopped suddenly, and then she spun on the spot and came walking toward the head table. She was wearing a blue shirt and blue skirt, the model for Lassarian servants. However, Zaros could not help but notice how beautiful she looked in them.
She stopped in front of the head table, and then she bowed before the Emperor. Zaros smiled. “You did well,” he said. “Zayd, who is this?”
“She is Esther, my Lord.”
Esther was red from ear to ear, her head still bowed. Zaros took a liking to her instantly. “Come, Esther, your work tonight is done. Join me at the head table.”

10-Nov-2009 22:18:46

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Zaros could tell by how far she jumped that she wasn’t expecting that invitation. Silently, though, she obeyed, and from then on she sat beside Zaros. The shyness she had displayed vanished shortly after the entire crowd was not looking at her, and she began to get used to speaking with royalty.
It was the greatest night of Zaros’s life, as he got to know her over that banquet. Eventually, she accompanied Zaros back to the palace at Senntisten, and the next five years were happy times, Zaros and Esther raising their beautiful daughter Calina.
If he had known then…
Zaros did*’t look at the blade, nor did he focus on the bloody wound it inflicted as it impaled its way into his wife. He only looked deeply into her blue eyes, drinking them in for as long as he could, until they faded away into a blank stare. As Zamorak removed the sword, Queen Esther fell to the stone balcony floor, a pool of blood staining her pristine face.
Zaros was shaking, the pain and rage swirling within him. He reached for his magic, but he still could not conjure it up. He felt its power inside his veins, but the strength of the Staff's curse was holding it in, refusing even his strongest attempt to draw it out.
Zamorak snapped his fingers, and then one of the demons dragged Esther's body away from the scene, throwing it over the side of the balcony. "Viggora," Zamorak barked. "Bring out temptation number three."

10-Nov-2009 22:19:12

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303 Back to Top