Forums

Infamous

Quick find code: 49-50-387-60195456

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

Posts: 2,868 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chapter 1

It was an early spring morning. The sun was just peaking over the horizon, showering the sky with dazzeling shades of pink and yellow.

A young boy was working his way swiftly through the deserted roads. Theives knew better than to attack during the day, but it was still dark enough that he kept his sword in plain sight.

The forest was quiet in the early morning, for the monsters that roamed the land at night had settled down by the time the sun touched the hills, and the animals of the area would still be soundly asleep for another hour.

The boy wasn't tired, though. He'd normally be up at this time to fish. His pole was actually still tucked away nicely in his pack. His walking through the forest this early had always made his mother uneasy, even though he owned a sword. She'd explained to him that thieves and muggers could overpower a boy before he could even unsheath his sword, especially a boy who had no formal training in fighting at all.

He'd explained to his mother - and he even smiled as he thought of it now - that he wasn't a boy anymore. In two years he would be, in fact, a man, and men are rarely countered in the woods.

He'd told her not to worry. He had a sword, and usually all he did was fish. If the thieves were desperate enough to steal his trout: more power to them; he'd give them some pocket change too.

Mothers being mothers, though, she went through a great extent to prove her point, even ordering the latest Varrock Herald to be delivered to their cottage in Lumbridge - a feat that had much upset him, as it cost the rest of their savings.

The headline - the biggest, blackest headline he'd seen in a long time - told of a murder right on the river Lum. A man's throat was cut open, from ear to ear. His head was almost severed from his shoulders.

10-Jan-2010 16:53:23 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2010 19:32:30 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

It scared the soul right out of his mother, but the boy kept reading. The man had still clasped his fishing pole when they'd found him, so they guessed he'd ben surprised. He was seemingly middle class, there was no evidence to be found, and nothing was out of place or stolen. The murderer had snuck up silently behind him, slit his throat and walked away. The cut was so clean that the Varrock Guard couldn't even determine what blade had done it. Probably a dagger, but anything from an extremely sharp bronze to a dull, worn dragon could have done the trick.

A clean kill for an unknown reason by a weapon yet to be determined with no witnessess or evidence at all were the classic signs of the infamous Ardounge Assassin, more intimatly known as Cyan Vansetti.

When the boy finished reading the article, he'd reassured his mother that she mustn't worry about him. Vansetti was murder for hire, and the fishing man case had recently been solved. He'd had an affair with their maid, and his wife had paid 50,000 gold pieces to Vansetti in exchange for his death. The assassin had even left a note on the castle's front stairs confirming it.

The boy had to reassure his mother that Vansetti wouldn't be after him. The only enemies he had were too poor to pay such an extensive fee to a hitman that was seemingly nowhere to be found.

His mother buying that Varrock Herald hadn't been a total waste of change, because inside of it the boy had found a classified add for a good paying job. A wealthy bank owner was looking for an assistant; interesting parties should go to their house outside Varrock and apply in person.

10-Jan-2010 16:53:24 - Last edited on 29-Dec-2010 23:26:32 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

That's why the boy was walking in the woods that early morning. He wasn't going to fish, for he was wearing his best suit. His best suit, though, was his only suit: a faded navy blue with missing cufflinks and a royal blue patch on the right knee. It was, of course, his father's old best suit, and the boy had to roll up the pants legs several times to avoid tracking them through the mud.

Thankfully, the banker's house wasn't too far away, and he reached their yard just as the birds began chirping. It was a beautiful yard, with perfectly trimmed hedges and roses of every color in bloom. Much to his surprise, a gardener was already hard at work: trimming the sod and laying mulch atop the lily bed.

The dirt pathway turned to stone as the boy pushed open the gate and shuffled up to the door. A fence encased the house and a fairly decent sized yard, but the size of the house made the boy wonder if all the neighboring forest belonged to this man, and he just rented it out to the city of Varrock to make roadways. The boy smiled as he imagined the type of wages they could give him.

When he reached the front door - an intimidating one made solely of mahogany with, possibly, a gilded doorknob - the first thing he did was knock timidly, but then he remembered he was there for a job interview, and he knocked again, much more coragously this time.

What would they think of him? A boy in a suit at least three sizes too big with poorly combed hair, a spot of dirt on his nose, and three chin hairs he'd missed while he was shaving earlier. He felt his chin. The chin hairs were hardly noticeable, but he had them. He told himself men grew beards, not boys. He was a man - almost - and men get jobs as bank-owners' assitants. He mustn't worry.

10-Jan-2010 16:53:54 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2010 21:02:26 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

After a few more painstakingly long seconds, the door opened. In front of him now stood an angel of a girl about his age. She had feathery blonde hair and emerald green eyes. Her skin was fair and her figure was dainty. The boy had never seen anyone so pretty in his life. The one downside, though, was what she was wearing, a maid uniform. Still, he found himself too busy staring at her to say what he had rehearsed so much before.

She was the first to speak. "Yes?" Lately, a lot of men had been showing up asking about the assitant job, but this was by far the most obsurd looking. Not to mention the way he stared made her uneasy.

The boy stuttered and his voice squeaked. "Uh, yeah. I'm here to ask, apply for the job, assistant."

The maid furrowed her eyebrows. This boy wasn't making any sence. "The assistant job?"

He nodded, kicking himself for his pathetic lack of words. "It's not been filled? I hope?"

She shook her head. "We've yet to find the right man. Name?"

"Yes, please."

She giggled a bit. "I meant, what's your name?"

"Oh!" He snapped back to reality. "Alexander Jaques."

She tapped her chin and repeated: "Alex?"

He nodded, once again without thinking. "That's what my mother calls me!" He flinched. Did he just tell this woman he still lives with his mother?

The maid smiled. "Yes, my mother calls me Rosie," she held out her hand. "I'm Rosette."

Instead of shaking her hand like she'd thought, Alex took it into his and kissed it. "What a pleasure to meet you, Rosette."

Rosie drew her hand back and turned pink. She turned around and began walking inside. "Mrs. Gildred is going to like you," and to herself she added: "I hope."

10-Jan-2010 16:53:55 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2010 21:05:10 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

The Level

The Level

Posts: 8,999 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello Reegena. As requested, I read your story, put my reviewing cap on, and set to work. We will start out with spelling.

In the first two posts, you spell captain “captian.” Remember, I before E, except after C. Also, at the end of the first post, “gruf” is spelled with two f’s.

In the first post of the second chapter, you spell thieves “theives.” Again refer to the rule above. In the same sentence you typo’d *Sword.”

It was a good read; I think you’ve gotten a good start on your story. I think you could have released Alexander’s name earlier, but that’s only a minor problem. I’ll be looking forward to more. :)

10-Jan-2010 19:38:48

George Rozas

George Rozas

Posts: 35,406 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A new story I see, Reegena? Excellent, I can't wait to read more of it! The prologue and chapter one both look good, so I have high expectations!

Oh, and please tell me when you will be accepting bios, for I already have too many characters in my mind. XD
I am Inferi.

10-Jan-2010 22:46:51

Quick find code: 49-50-387-60195456 Back to Top