Forums

Snow's Collection of Shorts

Quick find code: 49-50-383-63265320

xxsuperstarx

xxsuperstarx

Posts: 3,431 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Super’s review
I decided to review your short story as a sample of my reviewing qualifications. I know I’ve held titles and such as I’ve said before, but actions speak louder than words!
Firstly, let me say that your story has a solid plot. However, this plot is marred by lack of depth. I realize that this is a short story. However, don’t miss the opportunity to expand on certain things that will add depth to your story. For instance, when describing the journey to Nardah there was room for substantial expansion. Lack of description is an easy pitfall when it comes to short stories. You want to get to the good parts of the story, and show the reader what you can do, and reveal the (c)limax of the story. That is an understandable feeling, but one thing you have to remember is that taking the opportunity to describe those little scenes adds a whole new layer of depth your writing. However, overall your plot is solid, but it could use a whole new layer of depth.
Now I turn my eye to the dialogue of your story. This is the section that I have concerns about. The dialogue between your characters seems a bit flat and unrealistic. I see what you’ve tried to do when Ladarius lashes out at his grandfather for what he did.
“Treacherous villain! I shall slay you here, in the hope that my father can finally rest,” spat Ladarius as his godfather struggled to his feet, withdrawing his own blade.

18-Apr-2012 06:10:22 - Last edited on 18-Apr-2012 06:10:46 by xxsuperstarx

xxsuperstarx

xxsuperstarx

Ok, the important thing to remember when writing stories is to keep the dialogue real. The easiest way to do this is to put yourself in the scene and write what you would say in the situation. Another option is to pretend as if your watching a scene of a movie. If that piece of dialogue quoted above was in a film it would seem a bit unrealistic. One, because you have to remember this is the main character’s godfather. I don’t think the dialogue would be that flat. It is his godfather, a close family member. He’s been betrayed by his own flesh and blood and all he has to say is one line? Here is an example of what I mean, and keep in mind it’s a rough example:
“How could you?” Ladarius questioned, sword trembling in hand. “He was your son and my father, and you betrayed him. You killed your son in cold blood. You took away his life without even the slightest remorse!” Tears began to fill Ladarius’s eyes as he inched towards his father. “You’re a coward, a spineless, cold-blooded coward!” Ladarius screamed violently, raising his sword for the final blow.
You see how much more depth that adds to the scene? I’m sure with your creative mind you could conjure up something twice as good with a little time and thought. So, just remember any time characters are speaking try to make it as realistic as possible. This helps the reader to visualize what’s going on, and it adds to the overall characterization of your characters.
Now we’ve reached the mechanics section of the story. I’ll correct errors as I find them, and if you disagree feel free to dispute!
-- Lazarius,
>> I think you meant to put Ladarius?
--I beg of you, please read the rest before you choose to launch a vengeance-fuelled assault against me.
>> I don’t believe this needs a dash.
--Then, he simply fell to his knees, whimpering sounds not of sorrow but of utter hopelessness.
>> Add a comma after but.

18-Apr-2012 06:12:17

xxsuperstarx

xxsuperstarx

--And so it was with utmost retribution that Ladarius had hastily left his hut in search of his want-away godfather.
>> I would try rewording this sentence as a whole. Perhaps, “And so it was, with a mind focused solely on retribution, Ladarius hastily departed in search of his fleeing godfather.
--No water, no food but crucially, no sleep, was vital to hunting down his godfather before he had time to escape the lands.
>> Do away with the ‘but’ completely. It throws off the sentence.
I hope that helps, and it can also demonstrate my reviewing! Good story by the way, I enjoyed it.

18-Apr-2012 06:13:19

Quick find code: 49-50-383-63265320 Back to Top