Forums

~*~ TDT2: The Blood Debt ~*~

Quick find code: 49-50-222-43530230

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

Posts: 7,994 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Arwing watched through one half-closed eye as Maston climbed onto the horse, wrapped his arm around Krystal, and disappeared. Her body tensed as she fought the urge to get up and follow. What were they up to? Where were they going? Some secret tryst? She remembered his moodiness tonight, and it bothered her now more than ever. Guilt?
She needed to confirm her suspicions, one way or another. But what would she do if she was right? She couldn’t be…surely…Maston cared about her, and he wasn’t that type of man. And Krystal was with Bond, besides; that was why she’d taken his capture so hard.
In the morning. That’* what she do, she’d ask him when he came back. She’d confront him and get some answers. But they’d taken their packs with them. What if they never came back? That did it. Arwing jumped to her feet and grabbed at her belongings, then dropped the pack back to the ground. They were long gone; she’d wasted too much time debating. There was no catching up to them now.
And what about Emmaris? Someone had to wake him. She made her way to the sleeping scholar and nudged him awake.
“Wha--? Oh, Arwing…is everything all right?”
“No…Maston’s gone.”
“Gone? What?” He became more alert, sitting upright.
“He rode off with Krystal a few minutes ago. They took their bags and one of the horses.”
Emmaris stared up at her incredulously. “Why would he do that?”
She flopped down beside him, head in her hands. Her blond hair fell lightly around her face, shining in the slanted moonlight. “I don’t know, and I’m scared.”
He tentatively placed an arm around her. “It doesn’t make sense…He wouldn’t leave us. The promise of going through with this plan is all that’s kept him going the past few weeks,” she continued. “What does he want with Krystal?”

16-Jun-2007 21:17:30

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

Emmaris shrugged. “If he left a while ago, I doubt we can find him. Get some sleep, Arwing. We’ll figure this out in the morning, I promise.”
She nodded, sniffling back tears she hoped he couldn’t see in the dark. They both rose; she to return to her place by the fire, him to his post to keep watch until dawn. Neither slept as the sky faded from navy blue to light gray, and then to colorful hues of pink and red. Arwing stared at the sky, praying that Maston would return to her.

Maston watched the same sunrise over his shoulder as the horse cantered through the wood. His mind wandered as time passed. The only sound was the snort of the horse as it struggled for breath in their hurried ride. Finally, Krystal called over the wind, “Do you have any kind of plan?”
“Not really…We’re both good fighters, I think we just storm the jail and try to spring him. They probably won’t have a lot of soldiers lying around, the garrison’s back in town, remember? And the Guard doesn’t fight that well anyway.”
She nodded. “Actually, I meant overall. This is going to look suspicious, you know. And I do believe your girlfriend saw us go.”
“She was asleep. I checked.”
“Pretending. I saw her eyes open when you threw me on the horse.”
“When we come back with Bond, it’ll all be obvious.”
“And how will we catch up to them?” Krystal pressed.
“We’ll buy, or steal, a horse. Then we ride like hell. They’re the bigger party, we should be able to catch up.”
And indeed, one horse moved faster than four. Before the sun was fully risen in the sky, Krystal and Maston cantered through the ghostly Port Sarim, south to the prison building. Pink had turned to light blue when they rained up in front of the small, squat stone jail and dismounted.

16-Jun-2007 21:17:52

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

“Follow my lead,” Maston hissed as they approached the guards at the door. Krystal’s hand dropped from her swords.
“Can we help you, ser?* one of them asked. The two broad, uniformed men effectively blocked the door.
“We were hoping to see one of the prisoners here,” explained Maston. “He was brought in yesterday?”
“That describes a fair few,” snorted one of the guards. “Come.” The key ring on his belt jangled hopefully as he led them inside. There was one long hallway, with jail cells on either side. Krystal scrutinized each cell as they walked the length of the building, but Bond was not there. There were, however, a few disheveled drunks, who leered at her as she passed.
*He’s not here,” she whispered.
Maston said to the guard, “I don’t see the man we’re looking for…He was a singer, arrested at the inn yesterday?”
Recognition was clear in the guard’s sneer. “What would you be wantin’ with that traitor?”
“That minstrel broke my heart,” Krystal sniffed. “Promised me everything, and then it turns out he’s a filthy traitor…” She trailed off, letting the guard have his own idea of her reasons.
The man laughed. “Well, he’s gone.”
“Gone?” Maston blurted.
“Yep, gone.” The man shrugged and walked off.

Bond’s wrists hurt. The shackles they had slapped on him were quite tight. Being tied in the saddle, with rope wrapped around his legs and the horse, that hurt too. Still, he retained his usual light-hearted charm. He refused to let his head hang in defeat. Instead, he smiled winningly at the guard riding next to him.

16-Jun-2007 21:18:13

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

“Nice day, isn’t it?”
“Shut y’mouth, traitor.”
“What, you don’t like the weather?”
“I said, shut y’mouth. Don’t make me warn you again,” the soldier snapped.
“Not that I don’t enjoy the sunlight and all, but I was really expecting to see it through the bars of my cell.”
The other guard sniggered. “Issavan likes to deal wit’ traitors personally. Oh, he’ll make sure you get some of the Emperor’s justice.”
“But havin’ yer head cut off will be welcome after what I’m about to give you,” snarled the first one. He snapped the reins, and both his and Bond’s horses slowed to a walk on the road. The two soldiers, as well as two more behind, dismounted and pulled the bard roughly from his saddle.
The first soldier ordered curtly, “Strip his shirt and tie him to that tree.” The guards obeyed, holding him while they re-fettered his arms around the wide trunk.
Bond peered over his shoulder with a small smile. “If you wanted to see me shirtless, you only had to ask.”
“Gag him,” growled the soldier, as he produced a coiled whip from his saddlebags. He slashed it through the air experimentally. Then he lashed with all his might at Bond’* exposed back. Blood spurted from the long cut and he flinched, gnawing at the strip of cloth in his mouth. “It’s a long ride to Varrock, traitor. You’d be smart to learn to obey me.”

16-Jun-2007 21:20:00

Croc 2251

Croc 2251

Posts: 5,867 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'll try to help you with this...First, though, I've gotta get around to reading this. And I will, but I cannot at the moment. If you'd like, I can give you a review on it if you post an application when I've got an available position of my reviewing thread.

17-Jun-2007 04:34:49 - Last edited on 17-Jun-2007 04:35:48 by Croc 2251

Quick find code: 49-50-222-43530230 Back to Top