Forums

^+^ Onslaught ^+^

Quick find code: 49-50-10-62349822

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Forum Moderator Posts: 9,861 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chapter 2
<><>

“Nobody should ever see a demon weep. Come to think of it, nobody has ever seen a demon weep. Any witnesses to such an extraordinary event have all ended up dead. Courtesy of said demons, of course.”

~Skarjil Datashade Glyph [Lore]: Demonical Arcana I
<><>

Howling winds rocked Delrith’s abyssal citadel during what passed for an ‘evening’ around the Abyss. The structure itself appeared as any other Demon Lord’s fortress would, for it had the prerequisite red and black colorings worked into the unnatural obsidian of the Abyss coupled with an aura of taint emanating from it, devilish spires which resembled spear points more than actual spires, and even the slots that a group of demonic archers used to guard the battlements seemed more in line with open sores than actual carved openings. A massive bone gate completed the structure, leading many who knew of the citadel’* existence to believe that it had once been alive, though nobody knew for sure.

Meanwhile, Delrith himself paced back and forth in his ritual room as his armored skeletal ally examined Viez’s body. “I’m not sure if my necromancy will work on a half-demon,” it said. “I really haven’t had the chance to try.”

“Well, now's your chance,” Delrith replied. “I do believe the infamous Zemouregal would be willing to expand his mystical knowledge of the Dark Arts if it could serve him at a later date.”

“I never said I wasn’t,” Zemouregal said. “I’m just saying that I’m not sure if anything I know may work. So it’s not my fault if you don’t get the answers you seek."
^+^ Antediluvian of the Draculesti Bloodline ^+^

^+^ If the Gods see fit to curse us with the Blood, then we shall raise ourselves above them ^+^

09-Feb-2011 04:05:14 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2011 02:58:18 by A Mad Hatter

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Forum Moderator Posts: 9,861 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
“Just…do whatever you have to do,” Delrith sighed.

The Mahjarrat nodded, and began making arcane and esoteric motions with his hands as he recited a ritual of dark power. The black fabric underneath his armor began fluttering around as a gust of wind suddenly entered the ritual chamber, and Viez’s body began glowing as purple energy shot from Zemouregal’s fingertips and surrounded it in a curtain of necromantic energy.

Viez’s corpse opened its eyes as the energy dispersed in the air, and Zemouregal motioned for Delrith to stay back. “It appears his soul is still bound to the flesh,” he said. “But I cannot vouch for its sanity. So I warn you, what you hear may not make sense.”

“Is there a limit to the spell’s influence?” Delrith asked.

“It depends,” the Mahjarrat replied. “The soul can answer most questions, but the more complex questions may tax the spell’s power more than a simple yes or no question would. So if you want the most out of it, I’d advise caution in your wording.”

Delrith nodded, and inched ever so slightly towards his son’s floating corpse. “Are you aware of your surroundings?” he asked.

^+^ If the Gods see fit to curse us with the Blood, then we shall raise ourselves above them ^+^

09-Feb-2011 04:06:20 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2011 02:59:00 by A Mad Hatter

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

The corpse turned its head to regard Delrith with a sly grin. “Yes,” it croaked.

“Are you really my son, or a dark spirit that’s just inhabiting his body thanks to the spell?”

“Neither,” the corpse replied.

“Then what are you?”

“Dead. Gone. Alive. All and nothing at once,” the corpse said.

Delrith rubbed his eyes as he bit back a surge of frustration. “Alright, do you at least know what happened to a girl by the name of Alya?”

“Yes.”

“Can you tell me where she is?” he asked.

“Not here,” the corpse rasped. “Nor in the outer planes.”

“Then where?!” Delrith cried. “Can you tell me where she is now?"

"She’s…gone,” the corpse replied. “Far away…From here...From them…”

“Who are ‘them’?” Delrith asked.

The half-demon’s corpse closed its eyes as if it were lost deep in its own thoughts. “The Shades. The Fallen Servants. She’s far away from them all. Where they cannot reach her.”

“This is madness,” Delrith muttered as he turned to leave the room despite the protests of his necromancer ally. “How can anyone understand anything this thing says?”

“Then understand this,” the revived corpse said. “You cannot find her. She is hidden from all. The Shades. The Old Beings. The Fallen Servants. Even you.”

“Then…where…is…my…daughter?!” Delrith screamed at the corpse, his voice echoing with an unholy rage.

The corpse closed its eyes as the necromantic energy from Zemouregal’s spell began seeping out from its nose and mouth. “Far away,” it whispered. “Faded. At peace.” The corpse slackened as it floated silently over the levitation symbol which was etched into the ground, and Delrith couldn’t help but shake with frustration.

09-Feb-2011 04:07:18 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2011 03:00:24 by A Mad Hatter

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

“I’m…sorry,” Zemouregal said. “Like I said, sometimes the sanity of the spirit is compromised to the point where it rambles nonsense. There’s nothing that any of us could have done in preventing it from happening!”

“Then my main goal is lost to me,” Delrith replied. “But I think I may have gained an extra helping hand, however.”

“Oh?” Zemouregal asked as he turned to face the demon. “Pray tell, what may that be?”

“I’m sorry, old friend,” Delrith said. “But I have to ask you to make a sacrifice on your part!” The demon advanced on the Mahjarrat, his eyes gleaming with malice.

And Zemouregal stood no chance as Delrith attacked him relentlessly.

*^+^*

The Spider woke up in a cold sweat that night. He waited until his eyes had adjusted to the darkness around him, and he saw that he was back home. Or rather, what passed for ‘home’ for him. The familiar apartment greeted his eyes, with an opulent rug and curtains giving the small space a feeling of royalty despite its size, and a nearby sink and larder sst in the corner working overtime to make it still appear somewhat homey and down to earth.

“Damn,” he said as he felt the pain of his encounter with the demon wrack his body. He tried to get up from his bed, but failed as he found that his legs refused to respond at all.

“I’m not even going to bother asking,” he heard a sultry voice say from the doorway. The Spider looked over and saw a young, curvy blonde woman standing there. The woman was wearing a set of mithril chain armor which did her figure no small favor, and a sword hung at her hip.

Above all, she also bore the seal of an Agent of Alliverion around her neck, though most men probably wouldn’t be paying attention to the medallion if they were looking in that general area in the first place.

09-Feb-2011 04:08:10

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

“Ah great,” the Spider muttered. “Look, Myra, I’m sorry about this. I really am!”

“Uh huh,” Myra replied. “You do know that I live here too, right? I mean, do you even think of that when you get into that little suit of yours and go out looking for trouble?”

The Spider shrugged. “I didn't expect to get my ass handed to me by a demon,” he said. “That Ring of Life kicked in before I could even do anything, honest!”

Myra’s features softened. “A demon?! Really?!” she asked.

“No lies,” the Spider replied. “I sorta broke into the guard station to get my cape back, and ran into a demon that blasted a hole in their roof. Then I went after it, at which point I remember getting my ass kicked and ending up back here.”

“Dammit,” Myra said. “Alliverion’s going to be asking questions about this, you know. Hell, they might be sending me in to investigate too, and I already saved your ass back there once when you got knocked out by some fireball or whatever the night of that woman’s murder.”

“Thanks for that, by the way,” he replied.

“I can’t take any more chances, truthfully,” she said. “Look, they’re already doing probes in their ranks thanks to you. They think you might be one of them under that mask of yours, and they’re talking about taking severe action against you for the crap you’ve pulled already.”

“So I won’t get caught then,” he said. “What’s your point?”

09-Feb-2011 04:09:12 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2011 03:02:28 by A Mad Hatter

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

“My point is, you’re already in hot water with the authorities,” Myra said. “I can’t afford to keep having you appear in my damn apartment dressed like that every time you bite off more than you can chew!”

“But you’ll still be my contact within Alliverion, right?” the Spider asked.

Myra sighed. “Of course,” she said. “The way I see things, the Bureau isn’t getting much done with these Brotherhood cases thanks to god damn politics, so *someone* needs to do something to stop them.”

“Good,” he replied. He swung his legs across the bed and jumped to the floor. “You can have your bed back if you want. I’m going out.”

“Already?” Myra asked. “Weren’t you just hurt a few minutes ago?”

The Spider shrugged. “Technically yes, but I can heal fast enough as it is. Besides, it’s like you said: Somebody needs to find these ass clowns and end whatever the hell they’re doing!”

“Are you sure you can do it though? I mean, you didn't have much luck with them the last time you found a group of their men, so what makes this time any different?”

The Spider’s eyes narrowed as he fixed his cloak into place at his shoulders. “This time’s different because I know who to ask for now,” he said. “I’m going to get my antimagic gear, and I'm going to try and find this ‘Gentleman’ that the killers mentioned and see if I can beat some sense into him or something.”

~^+^~

09-Feb-2011 04:10:09 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2011 03:04:42 by A Mad Hatter

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

A knock rang loudly through Dionysius’ house as the sun began to peek through shuttered windows. The Wise Old Man turned over in his rickety old bed, and shouted, “Be right there!” The old adventurer had managed to roll himself out of bed while stifling a small yawn, and hauled his scrawny frame down the stairs. He was careful to avoid knocking into any of the bookshelves and cabinets in his house, and he hobbled over to the door.

The knock sounded again, and he sighed. “Damn kids bein’ impatient,” he muttered to himself. The Wise Old Man flung the door open, and saw a somewhat stern looking man standing in front of him.

The man’s red hair hung tied in braids at his shoulders, and he wore an equally braided beard on his face as well. The sunlight reflected off of his white armor, and Dionysius thought he saw a sword or mace hanging at his side. He couldn’t be sure because of the glaring reflection, however.

“So who the hell are you and what do you want?” the old man asked impatiently.

“I’m looking for Dionysius," the white armored man said.

“Well, I’m right here ya know!”

“There’s no need to shout, sir," the man replied.

“Ah, it’s alright. My betrothed is out in Lumbridge on business, so she ain't around to yell at me for yelling! Now, who are you anyway?”

The red haired man sighed. “My name is Sir Augustus, Grand Inquisitor of the Temple Knights.”

The Wise Old Man let an audible gulp escape his old throat. “I..err…didn't do anything,” he said. “I swear!”

09-Feb-2011 04:11:30 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2011 03:05:33 by A Mad Hatter

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

“Calm down,” Augustus said.

“The Falador Massacre…not my fault,” Dionysius said.

“Sir..”

“And that incident at the Wizard’s Tower? It was all Zeneviva’s idea!”

“What…?”

“And the thing with the bank across the street? Alright, that was me, but I’m a different man now!"

"Sir!” Augustus cried. “I’m not here to arrest you for anything!”

The Wise Old Man stared at the Temple Knight blankly. “Y-you’re not?” he asked.

“No!" Augustus said. “I’m here because the Temple Knights require your expertise!”

“For what? You want a bank robbed or something?”

“Something has happened,” Augustus said. “And it’s happened all over the world. We don’t know what it is, but you might.”

“Oh,” Dionysius said. “In that case, I’ll come with you. But I’m warning you, try anything funny and I’ll fry your ass with Saradomin’s power!”

Sir Augustus sighed. “Fine,” he said. “But before we go, I’ll need to ask you to put some damn clothes on.”

“Huh?” the Wise Old man asked. He looked down, and realized that he was only wrapped in his blanket and underclothes. “Oh. I’ll…be right back,” he told Augustus as he began walking back up the stairs.

~^+^~

09-Feb-2011 04:12:49 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2011 03:06:52 by A Mad Hatter

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Zimberfizz was lounging around the den as Delrith stalked into the room. The imp jumped to his feet in rapt attention, and saluted the bigger and mightier demon. “I be doin’ your service,” he said.

Delrith regarded the imp with amusement. “Tell me,” he said. “Do you still know how to make this fortress move from plane to plane?”

“Ah hell yeah,” Zimberfizz said. “Why, we movin’ somewhere again? Did one of the bigger demons make his home close to us? Another invasion by the holier gods?”

“No," Delrith said. “We’re going to the skies over Varrock. I have…business…that must be taken care of.”

“A’right then,” the imp said. “I’ll get right on it!”

~^+^~

The blue robed man watched as the Temple Knight led the old man down the streets of Draynor Village. The old man seemed frail, but yet the aura of power around him was all too obvious at the same time. He saw the knight turn the old man away from a busy street, and lead him into a darkened alleyway. The man sensed a teleport spell being cast, and the charge hung in the air like smoke from a nearby fire would have.

The man turned his attention back to the body of water near the bank, and saw the crowd beginning to form around it. Some would go about their busy lives, no doubt, but others were there for a different reason.

The man’s gaze went straight to the center of the water, and saw the giant Watcher pillar standing as still as the most devout of sentinels could only dream of. The engraved eyes were glowing, and something seemed…off…about the whole scene before him.

09-Feb-2011 04:13:23 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2011 03:07:47 by A Mad Hatter

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Then it suddenly hit him. The man felt himself float up into the air, and he seemed to turn to face the north involuntarily. He strained his neck to look to the side, and saw that many people were going through the same thing he was.

Red filled his vision, and he heard a loud noise pierce his skull. He wanted to scream, to close his eyes and meditate, or even bash it repeatedly against the roof. Anything would have been better than the scream that echoed through the air of his mind at that moment, and he found himself desperately wishing it to stop.

And then it was over as soon as it had begun. The man fell to the ground, just barely managing to keep his grip firmly on his staff. His vision swam from the pain, but that didn't stop him from looking up when he heard what sounded like thunder rippling through the air.

Dark clouds hung in the sky that day, although he couldn’t remember them being there moments ago. To be truthful, he knew little about the ecology of the strange New World he had been summoned to by the Order, but yet even he couldn’t help but admit the irony of the situation.

“So now a storm brews,” he whispered. “On the horizon, no less.”

He saw lightning dance in the sky, and his heart seemed to jump into his throat at that very sight.

“Could it be?” he wondered out loud. Lightning flashed in the sky again, and he shook his head in remorse. “Gods,” he said. “And here I thought it was going to be an easy mission this time.”

^+^ The End of Chapter 2 ^+^

09-Feb-2011 04:13:57 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2011 03:08:31 by A Mad Hatter

Quick find code: 49-50-10-62349822 Back to Top