Forums

Giants' Foundry - Concept

Quick find code: 380-381-803-66251241

Lewis Shoot
Oct Member 2005

Lewis Shoot

Posts: 3,825 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This update has some good potential although the blog has left me with a many questions.

Where will this minigame be located?

What is the target XP an hour? The blog seems to imply this will be best in game.
What is the target bars used an hour? The blog seems to imply this will require the least in game.
What kind of risk are you thinking about adding? I didn't see anything about this in the blog but the survey talked about it.

How do you ensure traditional smithing is kept alive? I can't see any reason to do it if this minigame comes out as proposed.
How repetitive will the setup and refinement stages be? This is the real factor in deciding if the minigame is actually fun or a grind.

Why is the 8 cannonball mould a straight up upgrade to the current one? Can't it has a limit such as only being usable in the foundry.
Why does the catalyst give double XP? Using half the coal seems reasonable since the current meta is blast furnace but double XP is out of nowhere. Perhaps there should be a smithing outfit instead.
RIP Forums :(
Finally we have signatures in the surprise forum update. I'm Lewis, I play Old School & I've been playing since 2005.

19-Apr-2022 20:06:22

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Posts: 7,053 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Copying my response from the survey:

It seems to be the OS version of the Artisans' Workshop. Great; a new, fun way of training Smithing is direly needed. I should stress, however, that even the best such minigame would not fix the skill's main problem: it's pointless. Because of the utter incongruence between Smithing levels and armour requirements, it is never a useful skill to train, apart from miscellaneous oddities like cannonballs. Even for ironmen, simply buying rune equipment from shops is much easier than training to 90+ Smithing. A full rework like from RS3 is the best solution but unlikely to happen; therefore, you should be thinking about the rôle you want Smithing to to fulfil, because it simply isn't ‘making melee armour’.

The requirement for the quest is 15 Smithing. Please mind that The Knight's Sword pretty much gets you from 1 to 30 with little effort. Whether this RSC legacy is good or bad, it's there, and should be taken into account. Designing anything below level ~30 is borderline pointless (e.g. a bronze-iron alloy). I'm not against that per se, as not everybody skips those levels right from the start, but I would recommend not investing too much effort into these low level ranges. Indeed, I'd recommend that 30 Smithing be the requirement for the new quest. Maybe make it a bit higher-levelled than novice (there are many novice quests as is) to reflect that. Camdozaal also exists now and the Imcando Dwarves were renowned smiths, so maybe add a Below Ice Mountain requirement and involve Ramarno as well. And Doric. He's lonely.
Bizarre Boron Fusswell, scryer extraordinaire. OSRS: POH ideas & RS3 minigames & achievement ideas !

Perhaps you're half right; perhaps we can't win. But we can fight.
— Zanik

19-Apr-2022 20:39:35

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Also, please don't forget the (scarce) existing giant lore we have! :)
- Hill giants are named because... well, let me quote the eloquent Malvern the giant in Postbag 11: ‘We is called hill giants 'coz we is looking like hill, not living on hill! See special chiselled features? See arm muscles like, um, hills? Is mossy called mossy 'coz him live on moss or 'coz he is looking like big moving moss?’ Would be fun to meet him in-game, near the Gnome Stronghold.
- Moss giants' beards do, indeed, have a life of their own, quoth Dave in Postbag 6. Would love to meet him too.
- Maybe reference Glod? He's rather mysterious.

Reward ideas seem fine, but the catalyst should be stackable. Ores are not, so it wouldn't be too powerful, but unstackable catalyst would make it too clunky to use as smelting is very poor experience as is. Kovac's Grog sounds great, although it would possibly devalue brewing mature dwarven stout. Not that that's very popular, but then it shouldn't be devalued further. Instead of a drink, maybe make it an item to be added to mature stout to double its effects? (Also for Mining, then, I suppose.) Not sure about the Obor's club cosmetic; is that weapon so popular? As for the cosmetic helm, that's... all right, but something like a fire giant's flaming sword to display in your Skill Hall would be much more interesting. (Skill Hall needs some love in general, but I'm not going to advertise my forum thread with ideas here.)

Finally, unless the Foundry is really near to an easily accessible place, considering adding a teleport to some piece of jewellery or making a new item or spell.
Bizarre Boron Fusswell, scryer extraordinaire. OSRS: POH ideas & RS3 minigames & achievement ideas !

— Zanik

19-Apr-2022 20:39:45

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Lewis Shoot said :
How do you ensure traditional smithing is kept alive? I can't see any reason to do it if this minigame comes out as proposed.

There isn't much reason to do it even now, apart from making alchable stuff. In fact, that could work well with the Foundry if, somehow, smithed items gave some kind of bonus over using raw bars in the minigame, making it worth the time investment to first smith bars into armour and then use that in the minigame (or alch it, if you want). But that requires good balancing.

— Zanik

19-Apr-2022 20:43:07

Mike Lt
Apr Member 2007

Mike Lt

Posts: 2,992 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why do we need a Smithing training method that consumes less resources? Bars are pretty easy to get, even as an Ironman.

Why are ore packs a reward? Smithing is supposed to consume ores to create metal armor and weapons. And won't this just further devalue ores and bars?

Kovak's Grog seems very situational and really should come from brewing instead.
Overall, the rewards are just really underwhelming.

And most importantly... who even cares about any of this? The grand unlock at 99 Smithing is a Rune Platebody . The only purpose of Smithing is to fatten up some achievement diaries.

If anything, this minigame should focus on rewards/profit, not "conserving resources".

19-Apr-2022 21:21:45

Mike Lt
Apr Member 2007

Mike Lt

Posts: 2,992 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lewis, I believe a jmod mentioned that the location would be near the Abbey in Al-Kharid.

Also... maybe a controversial change, but maybe nerf the xp reward for Knight's Sword slightly and bump the Sleeping Giants xp reward by the same amount.

Eg: Knight's Sword awards 10K smithing xp and Sleeping Giants gives 7275 smithing xp.

19-Apr-2022 21:24:52 - Last edited on 19-Apr-2022 21:28:15 by Mike Lt

booby boy 63

booby boy 63

Posts: 9 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Overall I like that something is being done to change up Smithing. I also like that it's similar to Mahogany Homes in that it's meant to be more time consuming but less resources consuming (nice to see as an Ironman). Overall, as long as the minigame isn't complicated enough to be annoying to grind, it should be a welcome addition to the game.

As mentioned above, the Level 15 req is outdated-on-release as most (if not all) players do Knight's Sword for their first Smithing levels; I don't think making this a hard req is a bad idea.

As for the rewards... the Catalyst is straight up useless. I don't know anyone who would make bars outside of blast furnace (and if you are, please, stop), so if its not usable there, it shouldn't even exist. The ore packs would be treated similarly to the resource packs from Mahogany Homes -- not worth the points more than likely, would never be bought, and would have 0 impact on the game.

The cannonball mold is excellent, and by far the best reward. Currently I don't use cannonballs at all on my iron because the time spent making them straight up isn't worth it: it might be with this upgrade though. The grog would have niche uses, mostly boosting for diaries, and I think that's fine; most skills have a pie that gives +3 or +4, so having a +4 for Smithing instead of the normal +1 stout (and no , nobody is brewing a mature) is a nice change for consistency. The only change to this I could see being made is making it a pie secondary instead, or a pie recipe unlock that perhaps uses a rock cake as the ingredient.

The cosmetics, of course, bring no complaint since they're just cosmetics. I actually farmed a Hill giant club for a bingo, so I wouldn't mind picking up a kit myself... ;)

In all honestly, I think the entire Mining skill needed a rework (like RS3, can't believe I'm saying that) more than Smithing needed another minigame, but I'll take what I can get. Overall, I'll be voting yes to about everything as it stands here.

20-Apr-2022 10:11:04 - Last edited on 20-Apr-2022 10:15:45 by booby boy 63

booby boy 63

booby boy 63

Posts: 9 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
booby boy 63 said :
the Catalyst is straight up useless. I don't know anyone who would make bars outside of blast furnace (and if you are, please, stop), so if its not usable there, it shouldn't even exist.

One thing I'll add to this is that, in my opinion, a better alternative to this would be an unlockable, permanent upgrade to the Superheat item spell. The mine on Fossil Island does a similar thing for Fertile Soil with the upgrade from super -> ultra compost. If this reward was instead an upgrade to Superheat that made it use half coal (no bonus XP) I could see it actually having some niche use, especially if Superheat was changed to autocast like Plank Make or Enchant Jewelry.

20-Apr-2022 10:19:43

Quick find code: 380-381-803-66251241 Back to Top