Forums

Giants' Foundry - Concept

Quick find code: 380-381-803-66251241

booby boy 63
Oct Member 2022

booby boy 63

Posts: 9 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lewis Shoot said :

What is the target XP an hour? The blog seems to imply this will be best in game.

The blog implies it will be the most XP per resource , it doesn't say it will be best in game. It also states they make about 10-20 swords per hour, so once we know the XP of a sword we can find that number.

Lewis Shoot said :

What is the target bars used an hour? The blog seems to imply this will require the least in game.

As stated in the blog, 20 bars per sword, 10-20 swords per hour, that's 200-400 bars per hour.

Lewis Shoot said :

How do you ensure traditional smithing is kept alive? I can't see any reason to do it if this minigame comes out as proposed.

"Traditional Smithing" has been dead since the release of Blast Furnace; this isn't a recent development. If you're referring to Blast Furnace as "Traditional Smithing", it'll still be the best way to mass produce bars and the best XP/hr with goldsmith gauntlets and gold ore.

Lewis Shoot said :
Why is the 8 cannonball mould a straight up upgrade to the current one?

Because that is desperately needed quality-of-life for anyone who can't crack open the GE and buy their cannonballs in an instant. IMO the only reason to do this minigame, as it stands, is to unlock the mold and then leave.

20-Apr-2022 10:30:28

do the thing

do the thing

Posts: 12 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh wow! Braindead jmods are pushing another minigame to effectively replace another skill. How about fix what is broken and maintain some game integrity for OLD SCHOOL before you start trying to add garbage like this. I feel like a majority of the playerbase and the jmods weren't around for pre-eoc and have no respect for the manner in which OSRS was brought back. Keep 'updating' the game into oblivion and you will keep losing the oldest and most committed of fans, while you continue to cater the game towards ironmen and noobs.

Maybe they drink too much over at jagex because their consistent lack of common sense is baffling.

20-Apr-2022 17:36:10

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Posts: 7,043 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mike Lt said :
Why do we need a Smithing training method that consumes less resources? Bars are pretty easy to get, even as an Ironman.

Why are ore packs a reward? Smithing is supposed to consume ores to create metal armor and weapons. And won't this just further devalue ores and bars?

[...]

If anything, this minigame should focus on rewards/profit, not "conserving resources".

Seconded.
Bizarre Boron Fusswell, scryer extraordinaire. OSRS: POH ideas & RS3 minigames & achievement ideas !

Perhaps you're half right; perhaps we can't win. But we can fight.
— Zanik

21-Apr-2022 18:17:03

HC HotCoffee

HC HotCoffee

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I mean the mini game seems "fine" on its own. reading about it made me feel like it will be about a 4/10 on the fun scale. The rewards are really underwhelming, mining and smithing are so generally useless as skills (99 smithing to make a rune plate "woo...&quot ;) I think they more need a rework or addition. I wish you would focus more on these issues and add something else to make the skills more appealing or gratifying to reach a high level in the first place. The rewards are pathetic aside from the cannonball mould which is a good idea(although personally I wish it still only took one bar for eight balls, but I can understand your reasoning not to). Besides that the rewards are some boring ores in a box.. and a one time use catalyst that gives you a bonus for one inventory out of thousands, not to mention you're probably just going to use blast furnace anyway. Adding the +four boost is not a bad idea, but again its just "meh" and I feel like you would be better spending your time on something better. The cosmetics are almost always ugly.

23-Apr-2022 10:51:35

Mike Lt
Apr Member 2007

Mike Lt

Posts: 2,992 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just throwing out some potential smitable rewards that I came up with a long time ago

Spiked Whip
Untradeable and non-degradeable upgrade to the Abyssal Whip. Stats compareable to the Abyssal Tentacle, but does not poison opponents and has the same spec as the regular whip.

Fire Giant's Sword
Chance to automatically cook meat dropped by slain monsters.
Chance scales with Firemaking level and you can still burn them.

Adze's
A handy tool that works as a Pickaxe AND an Axe.
Not suitable for combat... extremely poor offensive bonuses...
No attack level required to wield.

Visit the enchanted valley and politely ask the Ents and Rock Golems to disassemble your Dragon Axe and Pickaxe. You can use these components along with a Runite Adze to forge the mighty Dragon Adze!

23-Apr-2022 13:58:30 - Last edited on 23-Apr-2022 13:59:59 by Mike Lt

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Posts: 7,043 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The minigame itself sounds fun to play. The rewards, however, are still subpar. The outfit seems good enough, but the xp rates are abysmal. They shouldn't necessarily compete with the best methods, but they shouldn't be this much worse either. And there still isn't a reason to actually train the skill; a full rework is of course out of the question for now, but maybe you could add something in the spirit of "when smithing, there is a chance to obtain a scrap of metal that can be alchemised for a good sum of money. Chances depend on the items you are smithing" when wearing the outfit or some such. (Still not a reason to train smithing, but it's something, and easily implementable.) Bizarre Boron Fusswell, scryer extraordinaire. OSRS: POH ideas & RS3 minigames & achievement ideas !

Perhaps you're half right; perhaps we can't win. But we can fight.
— Zanik

08-May-2022 11:24:38

iron itg
Oct Member 2014

iron itg

Posts: 94 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The trend of porting RS3 content over to OSRS should stop. If I wanted to play "artisan's workshop", I would play RS3. I will never log in to that game again.

The smithing skill *doesn't* need a new fast way to train - there's a variety of methods of wildly varying speeds that can fit any budget and desired level of engagement.

What it needs is relevance - maybe the ability to make and repair non-tradable degradable equipment, or the ability to apply temporary buffs to equipment?

12-May-2022 02:36:19

iron itg
Oct Member 2014

iron itg

Posts: 94 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
do the thing said :
Oh wow! Braindead jmods are pushing another minigame to effectively replace another skill. How about fix what is broken and maintain some game integrity for OLD SCHOOL before you start trying to add garbage like this. I feel like a majority of the playerbase and the jmods weren't around for pre-eoc and have no respect for the manner in which OSRS was brought back. Keep 'updating' the game into oblivion and you will keep losing the oldest and most committed of fans, while you continue to cater the game towards ironmen and noobs.

Maybe they drink too much over at jagex because their consistent lack of common sense is baffling.

Yes! This! It's amazing how we've all given this company a 2nd chance, and they're messing it up by repeating the same exact mistakes all over again. There should be more focus on player-driven content design (like rooftop agility) rather than letting the intern design yet another stinkin minigame.

12-May-2022 02:42:07

Quick find code: 380-381-803-66251241 Back to Top