Forums

An Observation on Jas...

Quick find code: 341-342-386-66172473

Half Centaur
Jun Member 2010

Half Centaur

Posts: 6,959 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This thread contains spoilers of Desperate Measures, and the rest of the elder god storyline so far.

So, we've done Kerapac real dirty (honestly I was onboard with Kerapac's plan, but wanted him to stall. With all the gods' help we could evac the world a lot easier).

BUT we used the aptly named "eye of Jas" to sow Kerapac to the Needle. But something I noticed about that object- it is the same kind of object as the observations we found waaay back in A Heart Of Stone.

Along with one we have yet to find a use for in game- The Blank Observation . (Which I actually immediately got back from Azzanadra during this new quest, thinking it'd become relevant) The Blank observation was never filled- however I suspect it could be at some point in the future, when we next get access to Kerapac, to absorb the effects of the eye of Jas, and allow us to free him once more, putting the needle back in play.

However to do that, we'll need to get through the elder gods, and the newly bound dreaming dragonkin.

Thankfully, we happen to know an tribe of talented dream witches. Kerapac's device, while ill fated and ill advised- was luckily observed by us and the most talented enchanter known to mankind- Charos.

So maybe more of a two steps backwards one step forward for future dealings with the Elder gods?

Any other thoughts on how we will combat the elder gods?
"We call it being a hero"
"That's interesting, we call it utter stupidity"

28-Jul-2020 00:56:45

Half Centaur
Jun Member 2010

Half Centaur

Posts: 6,959 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh yeah, the other fly in the ointment revealed by Charos for our character in particular is the Shadow Anima fused to us thanks to Guthix.

Reminds me of antimatter- or negative gravity. Pushes away divine magic instead of allowing it to come into contact with us... but potentially not the healthiest thing long term.

I wonder how having shadow anima fused to us will be affected by having Sliske bound to our soul. A noted master of the shadow realm. Huh. IDK, but I feel like it'll be relevant.
"We call it being a hero"
"That's interesting, we call it utter stupidity"

28-Jul-2020 01:02:08

Velderuum
Mar Member 2018

Velderuum

Posts: 8,540 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm surprised how guthix knew how to put Shadow anima in us.

Since kerapac invented it and the elders weren't too pleased with it's development.

Azzy should still be getting a quest - and i suspect the elder godwars *gwd3* will add more lore.

As we know, the other elders are waking up.

As we could see one of them bursting from the volcano at the end.
Someone i know is a memeboy.

28-Jul-2020 08:47:07

Lord Pyro I
Nov Member 2018

Lord Pyro I

Posts: 4,255 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Velderuum said :

Since kerapac invented it and the elders weren't too pleased with it's development.

Azzy should still be getting a quest - and i suspect the elder godwars *gwd3* will add more lore.

As we know, the other elders are waking up.

As we could see one of them bursting from the volcano at the end.

I don't think Kerapac invented it. I thought the implication was that he discovered it as a different form of anima that come from somewhere outside this universe. I personally like this idea more as it suggests Kerapac isn't smarter/more powerful than the elders he simply stumbled across some kind of universal Achilles heel. How Guthix learned of it's existence is unclear but may relate to how Kerapac's device became broken sometime after the dragonkin were driven from the island.
"The greatest endeavors are achieved because of their selfless intent"
#WarIsComing

28-Jul-2020 13:19:54

The Mather1
May Member 2008

The Mather1

Posts: 1,172 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Velderuum said :

Guthix probably found it swirling in Gielinor's Anima from Kerapac's first attempt. Noticed "oof, this hurts my divinity and is doing nasty things to nature, better contain it". And then the same way Tumeken pumped some Anima into Amascut and Ichtlarin to make them demigods, Guthix pumped the Shadow Anima into us to make us a demi-anti-god.

Lord Pyro I said :
I don't think Kerapac invented it. I thought the implication was that he discovered it as a different form of anima that come from somewhere outside this universe. I personally like this idea more as it suggests Kerapac isn't smarter/more powerful than the elders he simply stumbled across some kind of universal Achilles heel. How Guthix learned of it's existence is unclear but may relate to how Kerapac's device became broken sometime after the dragonkin were driven from the island.

It came from Xau-Tak, hence the Black Stone Dragon exuding an aura of it. And his device probably uses Black Stone to corrupt regular Anima.
"Abscondita est in Astra."

29-Jul-2020 17:29:43 - Last edited on 29-Jul-2020 17:30:32 by The Mather1

Hguoh

Hguoh

Posts: 7,581 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't think Guthix was on Gielinor when this happened. As far as we know, Guthix arrived on Gielinor long after the elder gods had fallen asleep. Kerapac's invention of shadow anima, however appears to take place only a scant few centuries after/during the completion of Gielinor, whilst the elder gods were still active.

I'm fairly certain we learned a while ago, that Seren had put up a barrier around the elven lands during the god wars in order to protect the elves by keeping the other gods out. I was under the assumption that Guthix modeled his Edicts as a large scale version of Seren's, and that the World Guardian effect was a micro scale version of the Edicts.

This would put Guthix learning to manipulate shadow anima from Seren, but she seems fairly surprised about shadow anima's existence. I believe Seren either learned or was imbued with the ability to create/control shadow anima by her creator, Mah. Mah's absence from this revision would explain why shadow anima doesn't exist in this universe, while her stunted state would prevent a full explanation of what it is and does to Seren (and probably Zaros).

This would also explain why Wen is strongly indicated to have sabotaged Mah's egg/core as the creation of shadow anima in the last revision would make Mah a potential threat in any and all revisions going foreword.

30-Jul-2020 17:24:02

The Mather1
May Member 2008

The Mather1

I doubt the Edicts or Seren's barrier had anything to do with Shadow Anima. They were just like it was called in Seren's case, a barrier, created by manipulating Gielinor's anima.
Shadow Anima on the other hand is more like a poison cloud. Where the barrier physically keep the gods out, Shadow Anima would damage, or possibly kill, them if they entered.

30-Jul-2020 19:31:00 - Last edited on 30-Jul-2020 19:32:14 by The Mather1

Hguoh

Hguoh

But doesn't the World Guardian power do exactly that? It keeps the gods and their powers away from us, unless willingly compromised or drastically overpowered, without killing or hurting them. And we know for certain that it functions via shadow anima.

30-Jul-2020 19:58:19 - Last edited on 30-Jul-2020 20:33:20 by Hguoh

The Mather1
May Member 2008

The Mather1

It doesn't just keep them away, it effectively cancels them out. And not just gods, all anima, and by extension all life. As Charos said, we had to enter the laboratory alone, because anyone who doesn't have Shadow Anima grafted to their soul would have been killed by the Dhadow Anima aura of the Black Stone Dragon.
Ours is contained to our soul, so it doesn't affect the world around us, but as an aura or a field, such as that produced by the Black Stone Dragon, it destroys life and erases souls with its mere presence.

30-Jul-2020 23:31:19 - Last edited on 30-Jul-2020 23:33:23 by The Mather1

Hguoh

Hguoh

I imagine it's a difference of concentration of shadow anima and direction of its effects. I mean, we were able to let Zaros into the threshold of our soul without seeming to cause him any harm, and that was while he was in a weakened state.

Clearly it doesn't have to (immediately) erase souls given that ours was able to be mixed with it, and it similarly doesn't negate the effects of all anima on us as we are still affected by mortal magics. Heck, even Xau-Tak who is almost certainly using shadow anima mutates and twists life rather than annihilating it.

The indiscriminate destruction effect of shadow anima seems like it is just the most basic effect of the substance while it is possible to manipulate it to ends other than the complete and total destruction of regular anima.

Edit: Also note that the world guardian can fight a more powerful black stone dragon in the Dragonkin Laboratory with up to 2 other adventurers who, lore-wise, don't have any protection from shadow anima and can still approach and fight said dragon. So the aura doesn't seem to necessarily be imminently lethal unless intentionally directed to that end.

31-Jul-2020 14:37:35 - Last edited on 31-Jul-2020 15:05:45 by Hguoh

Quick find code: 341-342-386-66172473 Back to Top