Forums

Seren's Elven "Curse" Question

Quick find code: 341-342-381-65879797

Summerleaf
Nov Member 2012

Summerleaf

Posts: 3,313 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So, the Elves drug addiction to crystal Seren is a major flaw on Seren's character that is constantly brought up, and she is a horrible person for exploiting that weakness to convince them to move to Gielinor.

So, the question is: do we know for sure how much the current Gielinorian Elves still rely on her? Yes, they all tend to carry a crystal with them, but is it necessary for survival, or just cultural at this point?

If a couple of elven adventurers wandered through the world gate to explore, how long could they survive amongst the various planes and realms before they felt the pull of the crystal?

I'd prefer canonical answers, but discuss or whatever below.

12-Feb-2017 01:23:34

Healthorg

Healthorg

Posts: 793 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's been noted in dialogue that the Elves have been weaned off considerably compared to their Tarddian counterparts.

Hard explanations of what that means aren't exactly available, unfortunately, but I'd say that it's more cultural than for survival at this point. Like, to the point that it's simply unavoidable that they're going to run into a small quantity of crystal, given their culture, so it doesn't matter much if they carry crystal on-hand.

But that's not a hard fact. As for the question about Elven adventurers, I'll treat it as if it were a tabletop campaign hook. (I've been on a tabletop bent for some time now.)

I'd say that it wouldn't be harsh enough to break an expedition to other realms, given my previous statement, but the effects would still be an interesting hook for a character's, or a group of characters', stories. (In the vein of: "Why do I feel so unlike myself? How do I deal with this?" )

As for how long it would take for such to happen, I have no idea, that's strictly in the realm of headcanon currently, I think. I could be wrong, though.

12-Feb-2017 01:46:25 - Last edited on 12-Feb-2017 01:47:20 by Healthorg

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
From the recent Lore Corner.

Q. How much effect does Seren's inherent ability to compel devotion still have on the elves?

A.
Lots.

More so than any other being.

They love her, completely and to the exclusion of everything else.

Even those that despise her, that loathe her, that resent everything about her... they love her just as much and they hate themselves for it.

12-Feb-2017 03:25:49 - Last edited on 12-Feb-2017 03:27:39 by Cthris

Summerleaf
Nov Member 2012

Summerleaf

Healthorg said :
It's been noted in dialogue that the Elves have been weaned off considerably compared to their Tarddian counterparts.

I knew this lol. I was just wondering if he had a concrete answer to it. :P

Cthris said :
From the recent Lore Corner.

Q. How much effect does Seren's inherent ability to compel devotion still have on the elves?

I always considered Seren's Devotion Curse, and the Elves Addiction Curse to be two different things, but I guess it makes sense that they are interrelated.

12-Feb-2017 08:04:22

Ancient Drew

Ancient Drew

Posts: 5,732 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I believe the elves still have a dependency on Seren and her crystals, but their addiction is improving and they are beginning to recover. She might have taken a note out of Zaros' book after meeting up with him in the Second Age and noticing that the effect they had on each other was getting weaker.

As for the addiction itself, it was likely intensified through the Song of Creation when Seren tried to multiply their lifespans. People say she's evil for doing this kind of thing and exploiting weakness, but think about it this way. This might be how Mah controlled Zaros and Seren, by exploiting their weaknesses for each other. Seren was fine because Zaros' influence isn't addictive (which means that the Zarosians were completely fine without him), but Zaros is actually scared of meeting up with her in case of a relapse in his own addiction to her.

Another thing people are finding so easy to forget is her intention behind it. The way she went about bringing the elves may have been underhanded and she might have made some things worse for them, but at the end of the day she has always cared for them.

Zaros:
"She has always been caring to a fault; blind to the fact that she smothers the subjects of her affection."

This could be true in the case of her elves and performing the Song of Creation, cursing the elves in this way. She didn't realise what she really did until it was too late. Therefore, she can't be evil.
Prepare for hell on RuneScape in Naval Cataclysm!

Pokemon battle? Friend Code: 4614-0426-2439

12-Feb-2017 08:51:29

Summerleaf
Nov Member 2012

Summerleaf

Ancient Drew said :
The devotion thing was something she was born with, but the Elven curse came from the Song of Creation after she tried to extend their lifespans.

I know, but they're basically the only seriously negative things against her in terms of lore (besides her tantrum), so I wanted to just call them curses.

12-Feb-2017 22:24:40

Ancient Drew

Ancient Drew

Posts: 5,732 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Summerleaf said :
Ancient Drew said :
The devotion thing was something she was born with, but the Elven curse came from the Song of Creation after she tried to extend their lifespans.

I know, but they're basically the only seriously negative things against her in terms of lore (besides her tantrum), so I wanted to just call them curses.
To me, the negative things are virtually cancelled out because of her intent. All it means is that she focused so much on protecting her loved ones (Mah in the case of the Mahjarrat rituals, and of course the elves) that she failed to see the bigger picture.

The truth is, although I'm Zarosian and there are those in my faction that hate on Seren for whatever reason, I sympathise with Seren and would try to protect her on Zaros' behalf as I believe that he genuinely does care for her as a brother, but is worried about a relapse in his addiction to her love aura. After all that's happened, it is only natural that Seren would be pissed at him, but she also admits loving him as his sister. And I think his distant stance and her defiance of him are both ways of resisting the effects their auras have on each other.
Prepare for hell on RuneScape in Naval Cataclysm!

Pokemon battle? Friend Code: 4614-0426-2439

12-Feb-2017 23:21:33

Quick find code: 341-342-381-65879797 Back to Top