Forums

This game is depressing...

Quick find code: 317-318-892-66288700

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If you are depressing now, you will be far more depressing when getting a luck drop is just the beginning of more neverending grinding to keep it recharged endlessly with new items from Fortis Colosseum. Yikes....

18-Oct-2023 18:51:22

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Excessive grinding is always depressing. Even WHO has established ICD-11 to make everybody in the real world aware. Old school MMORPG, of course OSRS too, typically require the most grinding, so it is normal for OSRS players to get burnt out and become depressed. I believe, even many streamers who get paid for the daily 8 to 12 hours grind are depressed too, but they just won't tell us in their streams.

Now that OSRS is not even a typical MMORPG. They are running all kinds of FOMO events like DMM, Leagues as their main content. FOMO makes players even more depressed, especially when they don't win anything in DMM or grind 8 hours a day for 2 months and only get a mid tier Mith Trophy.

Yes, average people in the world need variety. Jagex knows it they can't have just grinding in their games. That's why they have many games with some less grindy ones.

19-Oct-2023 19:56:21

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

A couple of years ago, Jagex was invited to talk to the UK Parliament as a representative of the MMORPG genre. I remember they were being asked about the "never-ending grinding". The MP wasn't pleased when he asked about the non-stop fishing and banking routine. Only when Jagex answered they also have 5-10 minutes alternative then the MP nodded. The MP probably didn't know the 5-10 minutes alternatives are only in RS3, or else they would be a lot more questions regarding OSRS. ;)

21-Oct-2023 02:17:31

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Advice from WHO regarding gaming disorder, depression and ICD-11 ... Who? WHO = World Health Organization...

"ICD-11 was released in mid 2018.

Health concerns associated with gaming behaviour are not limited to gaming disorder, but also include other aspects of health (e.g. insufficient physical activity, unhealthy diet, problems with eyesight or hearing, musculoskeletal problems, sleep deprivation, aggressive behavior and
depression
) and psychosocial functioning.

Studies suggest that gaming disorder affects only a small proportion of people who engage in digital- or video-gaming activities. However, people who partake in gaming should be alert to the amount of time they spend on gaming activities, particularly when it is to the exclusion of other daily activities, as well as to any changes in their physical or psychological health and social functioning that could be attributed to their pattern of gaming behaviour."

https://www.who.int/news/item/14-09-2018-inclusion-of-gaming-disorder-in-icd-11#

If you feel depressed playing a game for long hours, for your mental health you may want to consider WHO's advice and pay more attention to daily activities and social functions. Of course, some games provide daily activities and social functions and don't necessitate hours of repetitively grinding. Those are the games in good standing with ICD-11.

02-Nov-2023 17:05:19 - Last edited on 02-Nov-2023 17:07:44 by Dilbert2001

mastercast3r
Mar Member 2023

mastercast3r

Posts: 438 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"This game is depressing." That is why I play the game as a follower of Guthix: "Everything in balance." If you focus on one thing too long it gets boring. For example, I have been doing a lot of skilling lately, so I decided to do a few quest. I followed up with a couple diaries. Im thinking of doing a few minigames next. Then back to skilling.

05-Nov-2023 23:37:11 - Last edited on 05-Nov-2023 23:40:26 by mastercast3r

Quick find code: 317-318-892-66288700 Back to Top