Forums

Deflation conspiracy

Quick find code: 317-318-857-66285709

Miu

Miu

Posts: 16,955 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The value of the most powerful items in game does not dictate the health of the game.

Deflation is not inherently bad.

Inflation, while generally regarded as bad, is not necessarily so.

Why is rapier so low? Because it's outclassed by the fang.

Why is the fang so low? Because of high supply and relative ease to obtain. ToA is much more doable, much more soloable than ToB.

Why do you mention the cost of Tumeken's Shadows casts but not the cost of the weapon itself?

The point of items degrading is to deflate the economy. If you're against deflation.. why would you want more degradable items? There are less degradable items because the game has other coinsinks in the form of the G.E. tax.

I honestly don't think you have any idea what you're talking about and just like seeing high level equipment with big numbers next to them. I have a lot of gripes with how Jagex has handled the game's economy, and you can argue that the G.E. deleting items is market manipulation. I'd much rather see more untradable BIS items.
Don't forget – RuneScape members get TWO free spins a day instead of the usual one!

24-Aug-2023 21:34:55 - Last edited on 24-Aug-2023 21:38:51 by Miu

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Miu said :
The value of the most powerful items in game does not dictate the health of the game.

Deflation is not inherently bad.

That's why it is very bad to artificially inflate the prices of selected items like tbows with the GE Tax Jenga bailout scheme. OSRS should have just let GE drain all the tax off the game instead of using it to make some selected items look expenssive.

It won't fool many people when they look at the prices of other items, especially resources like 1 gp pure essence and flax and tell how good the health of the game is.

Maybe Jenga scheme will survive longer in communist economies with item rationing and information stonewalling. However, OSRS has GE and everybody is free to get different items with different content, GE Tax bailout Jenga scheme is doomed to fail from the get go in OSRS.

25-Aug-2023 20:18:35

0-t
Aug Member 2011

0-t

Posts: 505 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
One thing that still amazes me when I read similar discussions is the fact that since the moment Bonds were introduced to the game (both RS3 and of course the OS), in-game money has lost its real value. - After all the time Bonds has been in the game, I still don't have a strong opinion on whether it helped or hurt the game. One thing is clear, that the player no longer needs to grind his time and save for some rare gear, when he can sell a few bonds, and after buying the desired item continue his goals, and be happier because he saved some time.

So the whole point is that it is not worthwhile to be afraid of losing "game money" at the moment. Instead, you should invest in the content itself - quests, skills, diaries, etc. Because of that, I'm just glad that I don't have to think too much about saving money forever like in long past and just spend more time on the content I want.
- LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP WINER, OF THE 2012 TESTIMONIAL VIDEO COMPETITION! -

... they say there was the fifth one. Lost and forgotten. The time he will rise again, will mark his new name - 0-t the Terrifying!

29-Aug-2023 13:57:22

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
0-t said :
After all the time Bonds has been in the game, I still don't have a strong opinion on whether it helped or hurt the game. One thing is clear, that the player no longer needs to grind his time and save for some rare gear, when he can sell a few bonds, and after buying the desired item continue his goals, and be happier because he saved some time.

So the whole point is that it is not worthwhile to be afraid of losing "game money" at the moment. Instead, you should invest in the content itself - quests, skills, diaries, etc. Because of that, I'm just glad that I don't have to think too much about saving money forever like in long past and just spend more time on the content I want.

We don't all have $60,000 to spend on OSRS Bonds, so most of us have to grind gp to play OSRS, especially those who use OSRS gp to buy membership. OSRS need MTX to survive, so it is not even a matter if Bond is good or bad IRL to OSRS. Bond is bad wrt pay to win but it is a necessity for the game to stay survive IRL especially now when the in game economy is dead.

I don't know how many players have an issue of losing "game money" but apparently it is a big thing to some of the most influential ones, otherwise OSRS shouldn't be forced to keep all those selected items like tbows at highest prices in the expense of other items.

For the have-nots, they don't have the problem of losing "game money". However, they also don't have the luxury to waste time on gaining nothing with "newer" content and "bis" items when in reality they are far worse ways to gain gp than going back to legacy content like CoX for the tbows and such at guaranteed high prices. :)

OSRS doesn't run a communist economy. OSRS can't force brain surgeons to pick flax and mine rune essence. Not everybody in OSRS get the same gp/hr and obtain the same items. OSRS is doomed.

29-Aug-2023 19:43:33 - Last edited on 29-Aug-2023 19:57:19 by Dilbert2001

Quick find code: 317-318-857-66285709 Back to Top