Forums

YouTube Phishing scam

Quick find code: 317-318-478-66190333

Tessas Mom

Tessas Mom

Posts: 11 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I find it hard to believe you guys are unaware of the 1000s of accounts that are being hacked due to this... I see them spamming ALL day on just one server. 100+ Accounts per day saying:

> Quitting next 25 players get 250m, search YouTube:-XXXXXX to enter

(I removed the username so no one accidentally falls for it, it normally starts with “Jax” or “Jex” followed by 3 random numbers)

When you go to the YouTube page he has a phishing page that looks like RuneScape forums and redirects you to a login when you try to post. It also requests your bank pin. The entire thing looks very professional it’s no wonder people are falling for it.

Why is no one stopping this though? I’m one person and report it over and over all day but I’m getting tired of feeling like I’m making no difference.

People are losing their accounts.. their gear.. their time!

Please do something!!!

23-Nov-2020 06:28:21

Venomous
Jan Member 2016

Venomous

Posts: 1,045 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The best way to get these accounts out of the game is by reporting them in game to jagex. While you have good intentions by letting us know about this over the forums, this isn't the place to report about the situation. Also thank you for removing the actual username of the link!

It wouldn't hurt to warn surrounding players to not go to the link/website when you see it in game.

Most of the time, the accounts that advertise those phishing sites are throwaway accounts which means they're easily replaceable. It's a constant battle unfortunately but those accounts DO get investigated and banned.

Keep reporting, your reports do help!

23-Nov-2020 08:23:39

Tessas Mom

Tessas Mom

The problem is reporting them won’t stop the problem unless the response is instant. They’re spamming with peoples compromised accounts that recently fell for it. It really looks like someone quitting! It’s like a perpetual cycle of accounts and people are falling for it in massive numbers.

My reporting people who have been hacked that are now spamming can’t stop the problem... catch me? I’ve checked their YouTube pages (they change links often I imagine because people like me report them to YouTube) and each video is getting 300-500 views before they use a new YouTube account. There’s always 10-20 replies of people asking but he tells them to “post on the official post just follow the link in the video description” (it’s a bitly link that redirects to a link that looks like https://secure.oldschool.com-vu.us/random-stuff-here... this is not the actual website but very similar. Again. I don’t wanna direct more people to this but I want the issue to be known and Jagex is the only one that can stop it.

They need to fully investigate this and it’s not hard to find it’s happening on almost every world at the GE.

23-Nov-2020 09:08:40

Tessas Mom

Tessas Mom

BTW the forums look EXACTLY like this one. I’m a web developer and I almost fell for it had I not noticed the link was .com-vu not .com. Jagex doesn’t do anything to restore items when this happens so they should at least do preventative measures so it doesn’t happen at all.

23-Nov-2020 09:14:15

Tessas Mom

Tessas Mom

I’m sure Jagex can investigate this and track down where they’re trading the gold or where the gold is ending up and start banning their mains. The issue is truly they need to cut the head off of the dragon. I’m only reporting compromised accounts. They’re clearly selling the gold so Jagex should have a vested interest in preventing this.

23-Nov-2020 09:17:03

Tessas Mom

Tessas Mom

I’m 32 now and I used to play this game when I was 14. Had I been a dumb 14 year old I’d probably be sobbing that I lost all my hard work only to find support won’t give me my stuff back and I’d be lucky to not be perm banned for trying to participate in a giveaway. This really feels bad to see this going on and nothing being done.

23-Nov-2020 09:19:15

Tessas Mom

Tessas Mom

I would but he makes 5-6 new accounts per day. I was reporting them all but it’s out of hand. Now now username is mira**... maybe jex/jax was too well known? Idk. I can’t keep stopping what I’m doing every 5 min to report them all there’s just too many. As a developer I can think of plenty of ways to rectify the situation but as a player there’s relatively little that I can do.

23-Nov-2020 10:13:21

Quick find code: 317-318-478-66190333 Back to Top