Forums

RuneScape Companion Web App

Quick find code: 294-295-303-65238478

Mod William

Mod William

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user

RuneScape Companion Web App

We are delighted to launch the RuneScape Companion web app to all RuneScape players today. It’s a new way to talk to your friends in RuneScape using your mobile phone, tablet or PC without logging into the full game.

It's a web app, so rather than needing to install it from an app store, you simply follow these steps:

For the moment, the web app supports Friends Chat, Clan Chat and Private Messages to and from the game, but we’ll be adding more features throughout 2014. Let us know what you’d like to see!

This is the first version of the web app, and it's still a work in progress. It currently works on more modern Android devices and the iPhone 4 upwards. Please check the list of supported devices below to see if it will work on your phone or tablet.

If your device isn’t currently supported, we’ll be making updates to the web app in January which should increase this list substantially.

• Desktop PCs and laptops, using Chrome.

• Android devices using Chrome . These include:

• Nexus 4

• Nexus 5

• Nexus 7

• Samsung Galaxy S3

• Samsung Galaxy S4

• HTC 1X+

• iOS devices, using Safari . These are:

• iPhone 5

• iPhone 5c

• iPad 3rd Gen

• iPad 4th Gen

• iPhone 5

• iPhone 5c

• iPad 3rd Gen

• iPad 4th Gen

• iPhone 5s

• iPhone 4

• iPhone 4s

• iPad Mini

• iPad Mini Retina

Currently, the web app doesn’t work - or performs unreliably - on the following devices:

• iPad Air

• Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

• Any Android device with less than 1GB of RAM.

• Windows Phones

• Blackberry Phones

If you have any questions, head over to the FAQ . If you have any problems using the app, or any suggestions on improvements you'd like to see, let us know on the RuneScape Companion forum .

The RuneScape Team

16-Dec-2013 16:57:43 - Last edited on 18-Dec-2013 17:33:00 by Mod William

Mod William

Mod William

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user

FAQ

What is the RuneScape Companion?

The RuneScape Companion is a new web app that allows you to stay connected to RuneScape from anywhere. At the moment it allows you to chat to your friends who are in game, but we plan on adding many more features!

The web app means that, for the first time, you’re able to use your mobile phone or your tablet to chat your friends and clan mates when you are not playing using the RuneScape chat channels.

So if I use the web app, I can talk to people while they’re playing the game?

Yes - and vice versa. It’s best to think of the web app as a new version of the lobby that is accessible in your browser without the need to load the game.

Who can use the RuneScape Companion?

It is free to use for all RuneScape players on any of the devices listed below . You will need to log in with a Jagex account to access the web app.

What are the web app’s main features?

At the present time the web app are based around RuneScape’s chat channels. So you have friends chat, private chat, clan chat and many of the related settings.

We’re looking to add new features, such as the ability to check the Grand Exchange, in 2014.

How do I change chat channels?

You can swap to a different chat channel (All Chat, Private Chat, Friends Chat & Clan Chat) by pressing the icons at the top of the screen, or, by swiping left & right for devices with touch screens.

How do I send messages in All Chat?

You can only reply to messages in All Chat. To do so, just press a message you have received then you’ll be able to type a reply.

How do I start a private conversation?

To send a private message to a friend, go to your Friends List, press on their name and select ‘Message’. Alternatively, you can press on private messages you have received to be able to quickly send replies.

How do I add someone to my Friends List?

Pressing on someone’s avatar will show several options including the one to add that person to your friends list. Alternatively, there is an option to type in a name manually on the friends list screen.
How do I report someone?

To report someone, press on their avatar and then press the ‘Report’ option. You’ll then be able to select the reason for reporting them, just like you would in the game.

Can I be logged into the game at the same time as the web app?

No, you can only be logged into one or the other.

What devices are supported by the web app?

The RuneScape Companion runs using a custom version of our HTML5 engine, so is best support by more powerful, modern devices. At the moment we know that the web app works on the following devices:

• Desktop PCs and laptops, using Chrome.

• Android devices, using Chrome . These include:

• Nexus 4

• Nexus 5

• Nexus 7

• Samsung Galaxy S3

• Samsung Galaxy S4

• HTC 1X+

• iOS devices, using Safari . These are:

• iPhone 5

• iPhone 5c

• iPad 3rd Gen

• iPad 4th Gen

• iPhone 5

• iPhone 5c

• iPad 3rd Gen

• iPad 4th Gen

• iPhone 5s

• iPhone 4

• iPhone 4s

• iPad Mini

• iPad Mini Retina

Currently, the web app doesn’t work - or performs unreliably - on the following devices:

• iPad Air

• Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

• Any Android device with less than 1GB of RAM.

• Windows Phones

• Blackberry Phones

Some older versions of these devices (along with other Android devices in general) may work, but may be prone to crashes and performance issues. Any Android device with less than 1GB of RAM is unlikely to work.

If your device isn’t currently supported, we’ll be making updates to the web app in January which should increase this list substantially.

My phone or tablet isn’t currently supported. What can I do?

We will continue to update and improve the web app, so it may work on your device in the future. Keep your eyes peeled!

How do I use it?

Simply go to this address:

http://www.runescape.com/companion

Then, log in with your normal RuneScape account.

It doesn’t seem to work on my Android phone, even though you say it supports that model!

Make sure you are using Chrome as the default browser in Android phones doesn’t support the RuneScape Companion.

Can I download it from the App Store or Google Play?

No. As a web app, it is accessed via your browser rather than as an app store download.

I normally log in with my Facebook account. How can I log into the web app?

At the moment the web app only allows log-in with Jagex accounts. If you don’t have a Jagex account, you can create one and attach it your Facebook account using the Social Networks section in the Account Settings page.

I get asked to 'extend memory usage' on my iPhone. What does that mean?

The web app will store some data on your device’s the local storage to help the web app run faster. So instead of downloading that data again, it will fill space on your device.

Are there any more features coming to the web app?

Yes. We’re already looking into how we can add Grand Exchange access to the RuneScape Companion, along with many other features. The web app will be regularly updated during 2014, so keep your eyes peeled.

Does the web app support Quick Chat?

Not at the present time. Quick Chat users are unable to send messages, and messages received in Quick Chat are not currently visible.

I’m using the web app in Chrome or Safari, but it still doesn’t work!

This could be due to a variety of reasons. Firstly, check to see if the device you’re using is in our supported device list . If it is, try clearing your browser’s cache and then reloading the page.

If you still experience problems, please post in our Technical Support forum (there’s a dedicated thread on the Companion web app) with details of your problem and the version number that appears at the bottom of the login screen. We’ll be watching that thread closely and doing our best to help everyone posting on it.

16-Dec-2013 16:58:34 - Last edited on 18-Dec-2013 17:34:13 by Mod William

Was Zeus

Was Zeus

Posts: 22,388 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Awesome ZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZEUSZE

17-Dec-2013 15:54:08

Whos-Dr
Mar Member 2011

Whos-Dr

Posts: 19,957 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've logged into the web app on my phone and after a few minutes of use, got logged off and now my account is claiming 'invalid username or ********' for login to both the web-app and in-game, and possibly the forums. I was luckily already logged in here.

Please could someone look into this?
Forum Community Helper
- Tech Support
Here to lend a paw with your tech issues.

17-Dec-2013 16:05:43

Quick find code: 294-295-303-65238478 Back to Top