Forums

RECOVERABLE TEXT!

Quick find code: 278-279-514-66182029

uhhmmm

uhhmmm

Posts: 29 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Has this ever happened to you?

You're on a web page, filling in a form. You might be placing an online order, contacting customer service, writing an email, or perhaps GIVING A GAME SUGGESTION. In one of the boxes (fields), you've typed a paragraph or more to explain something. It might be about yourself, a product review, a problem, a complaint, or something else that requires some thought and effort to write.

Then, perhaps you paused to think, or you got called away from the computer, or something else happened, and all of a sudden the form got reset, and everything that you've spent all that time writing is gone!

Isn't that infuriating? And yes, it's JUST happened to me.

What you can try in the moment

The bad news is that there's not much you can do if this happens to you.

If you can remember the beginning of what you previously typed into that field and lost, type the very first character (a letter or a digit). That may display a menu listing what you've previously typed that starts with that character, e.g., typing "m" might show a list with "Martin," "Martin Kadansky," "meanwhile," etc.

without typing anything, hold down the "Alt" key on a Windows computer keyboard (or the "option" key on a Macintosh), then tap the down-arrow key once, and then release the Alt (option) key. That may display a menu listing all of the text that your browser has recently remembered for that particular field.

HOW HAS THIS NOT HAPPENED YET???

25-Sep-2020 11:23:44

Varpushaukka

Varpushaukka

Posts: 503 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yep, happened to me as well a few times. :P Usually I copy the text I'm about to post before posting it, just in case this happens, but occasionally I forget to do so, so it'd be nice if you were able to stay logged in longer.
Sparrowhawk (UIM)
. . . .
TLVL: 1775 / 2277
. . . .
# of 99's: 4 / 23
. . . .
QP: 218 / 279

25-Sep-2020 13:34:21

Tranq
Nov
fmod Member

Tranq

Forum Moderator Posts: 61,815 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Did you try the back button. Most browsers have a cache that remembers what you've typed for a short while at least. Might be able to tab backwards and retrieve your lost work.

I know chrome has it. Typically find when I hit the 6 hour wall here I lose my last reply due to auto-logout. Hitting arrow backwards allows me to retrieve it.
When the day becomes the night and the sky becomes the sea, when the clock strikes heavy and there’s no time for tea; and in our darkest hour, before my final rhyme, she will come back home to Wonderland and turn back the hands of time.

25-Sep-2020 13:43:21

Tenebri
Jan Member 2015

Tenebri

Posts: 39,133 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
Yep, happened to me as well a few times. :P Usually I copy the text I'm about to post before posting it, just in case this happens, but occasionally I forget to do so, so it'd be nice if you were able to stay logged in longer.

yeah any long texts i always copy it before.

but as tranq said also back button works too. which has been a life saver couple of times. but doesnt happen much
200m all RS3 on 7/3/19
1.2Billion overall Slayer xp / Ultimate slayer title

OSRS 2277/2277 Untrim slayer cape
Hail Satan, He loves for who you are.

25-Sep-2020 13:50:33

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,892 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I didn't know about that Tranq.

I always copy to clipboard before posting, and at times I paste into Notepad++ to temporarily save posts. Having a significant post disappear was a hard but good lesson for me. :P

A lot of forums saves drafts, so after closing the page and returning some time later, it's still there. Nice little feature I hope to see one day.
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

25-Sep-2020 19:06:57

vonSageworth

vonSageworth

Posts: 1,752 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If I have something to say I feel is important to get my point across, I know will be long and take a lot of thought, I get pen in hand and paper on the desk and start writing. I'll have all the time I need to think about what I'm going to say, how to say it, proof read, add more or delete, correct typos. When I'm done and am satisfied with what I wrote, I'll type it in the box. It helps if you can read and type at the same time without looking at the keyboard. I know it sounds old fashion, old school, but that's what I was brought up with and I'm comfortable with that method.
Music is the Heartbeat of the World

Let's flip a coin; heads I win, tails you lose. Fair enough?

25-Sep-2020 20:34:24

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
... What you can try in the moment ...
The best thing to do is, if it needs an extensive explanation, prepare it in a text-file before filling out all the details you need, so if it goes dark one way or the other, you always can call on your text-file. :)

26-Sep-2020 09:56:12

Mr Brushie

Mr Brushie

Posts: 1,161 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I didn't know about that Tranq.

I always copy to clipboard before posting, and at times I paste into Notepad++ to temporarily save posts. Having a significant post disappear was a hard but good lesson for me. :P

A lot of forums saves drafts, so after closing the page and returning some time later, it's still there. Nice little feature I hope to see one day.

Every time when I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got the dues in life to pay
I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody sin
You got to lose to know how to win
Half my life
Is books, written pages