Forums

New Website is Coming!

Quick find code: 278-279-344-66157272

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,226 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I was roaming Reddit just now on some old threads, and noticed a comment by Mod Warden, one of the Directors of Jagex & RuneScape, confirming that a new website will be out soon! Some of us already know a lot of the recent changes to the website have slowly been leading up to a website overhaul, I just hope it's enough to bring more life back to the forums. I made a long and thorough email to Mod Warden last year during the time the AskModWarden email was active, expressing the need for an updated forums - so I really do hope it has been listened to. <3

https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/g151dp/game_update_ninja_strike_3_shattered_worlds/fndu52p/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=runescape&utm_content=t1_fp5khq1
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

01-May-2020 21:12:52

Hmm
Jan Member 2016

Hmm

Posts: 13,000 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't understand why at this point Jagex don't just use off the shelf forum software like Discourse, rolling out their own tools for everything only ever serves to bite them years in the future.

On the plus side, I hope this means there might be proper mobile support for the site, I end up using Firefox reader mode for the news on the homepage which works great, but the forums are horrible; reader mode doesn't work there.

But pls, just use off the shelf software and spend time integrating the login more than inventing tools that everyone else already made.

01-May-2020 21:23:43 - Last edited on 01-May-2020 21:26:29 by Hmm

Archaeox
Dec Member 2011

Archaeox

Posts: 53,399 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Loki said :
I was roaming Reddit just now on some old threads, and noticed a comment by Mod Warden, one of the Directors of Jagex & RuneScape, confirming that a new website will be out soon! ...

Where do you see a promise that this will be "soon" in that statement?

New forums have been 'coming' for at least a decade.
~~~~ Just another victim of the ambient morality ~~~~

~~ Founder of the Caped Carousers quest cape clan ~~

!! Slava Ukraini - heroyam slava !!

01-May-2020 22:33:05

Nuzzler
Jul Member 2022

Nuzzler

Posts: 800 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Please, oh god please, for the love of god, add unique IDs to runescape players and an API endpoint to extract that person's display name from that ID. You have NO CLUE how frustrating it is not being able to keep up with everyone changing their display names when you manage a 1000+ member clan on discord. Also it would be amazing to add a way to link a runescape account with an external website t o verify you own an account. Theyve already done this with Twitch. Please make it public! I'm not asking for overpowered scopes to change user settings which could be used maliciously, an 'identify' scope is plenty (See Oauth 2.0 for what this is). This way we can link discord accounts to runescape players.

01-May-2020 23:09:59

YtHaar-Mej
Dec Member 2005

YtHaar-Mej

Posts: 24,670 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's nice to see there's still progress with that. I remember last year reading about the Merlin platform they're designing with Contentful CMS and how they began moving the RS site to it with the Anachronia mini-site while looking at the main RS site after.

Looking forward to see how things work out in the end.
Can I turn in a paper without citing all sources?
"No."[1]
1. William Shakespeare, Hamlet , Act III, Scene 1, line 96.

01-May-2020 23:24:47

Ownage Omg

Ownage Omg

Posts: 14,364 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Archaeox said :

I mean does it count when they were updated in 2014? I guess not cus it's just a skin lol.

I'm really hoping we get better functionality and more customisation but I have a feeling it'll just be some reskin.
Hardstyle
|
@OwnageRS
|
OSRS
|
U
K

02-May-2020 01:09:34

Maynne

Maynne

Forum Moderator Posts: 52,416 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmm said :
I don't understand why at this point Jagex don't just use off the shelf forum software like Discourse, rolling out their own tools for everything only ever serves to bite them years in the future.

On the plus side, I hope this means there might be proper mobile support for the site, I end up using Firefox reader mode for the news on the homepage which works great, but the forums are horrible; reader mode doesn't work there.

But pls, just use off the shelf software and spend time integrating the login more than inventing tools that everyone else already made.

Correct, I hope a proper support for mobile is on the horizon. RSOF is very hard to navigate from a mobile phone.

Jagex has to acknowledge that majority of web browsing nowadays happens on mobile device than from a full fledge computer.

02-May-2020 10:37:25 - Last edited on 02-May-2020 11:01:26 by Maynne

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,605 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Archaeox said :
Loki said :
I was roaming Reddit just now on some old threads, and noticed a comment by Mod Warden, one of the Directors of Jagex & RuneScape, confirming that a new website will be out soon! ...

I suppose after all these years, such a comment is the most definitive we have had for a long time. However, a revamped website does not necessarily constitute revamped forum software, so I guess we can only really await and see.
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone
¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

02-May-2020 16:15:09

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 8,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mexk said :
I suppose after all these years, such a comment is the most definitive we have had for a long time. However, a revamped website does not necessarily constitute revamped forum software, so I guess we can only really await and see.
I completely concur with this statement. Even though you don't see the word "soon" in his message, it's at least reassuring to know that they are working on it and have let everyone know that it is coming, whenever that may be. I do hope it does include a Forums overhaul.

Fingers crossed that it is sooner rather than later.

03-May-2020 04:31:17

Quick find code: 278-279-344-66157272 Back to Top