Forums

Increase website auto log out

Quick find code: 278-279-341-66186785

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :
The thing that annoys me: I'm in the forums, if I leave and come back I have to sign in again. Push the wrong button, forum closes, need to log in again, answer a phone call or text need to log in again, check a news post link or facts need to log in again...

No, thats only if you go over one of the log out timers.

You dont have to constantly do that.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

23-Apr-2021 12:25:37

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Posts: 23,350 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :
The thing that annoys me: I'm in the forums, if I leave and come back I have to sign in again.
Yes, the forums have no way to know that you didn't leave permanently given that you left for over an hour (which is a reasonable amount of time to remain logged in given no activity).
Dong U Dead said :
Push the wrong button, forum closes, need to log in again
Again, yes- if you close the forums or browser and effectively terminate your own session, the forums should log you out as there's no way to know that you didn't leave deliberately where someone could (potentially, for people who share a computer with others) come back and access your account..
Dong U Dead said :
answer a phone call or text need to log in again
If you need to take a phone call that exceeds the hour activity limit, you're not active on the forums anyways and there's no need to stay logged in while you're handling your business.
Dong U Dead said :
check a news post link or facts need to log in again...
You could always do this in a separate browser tab or window, provided you're not spending over an hour away from the site to browse. If you are browsing other sites for that amount of time, then you're not active enough to stay logged in.

It's worth noting that not everyone is a blazing fast typer and, over the years, people have found themselves logged out while composing a response to a thread. In cases like that, the way to prevent that is to either a) compose your response in a notepad or other such word processor of your choice and paste the response when ready or b) to periodically "Preview" your post, which effectively lets the forums know you're still there and composing an answer, which you'll be posting soon.

Also, I said an hour in this post. It feels like an hour... it might be 30 minutes, I'm not 100% confident but it's plenty of time for me.
Spearmint30

¤
Food scientists have finally managed to remove the mint flavor from gum! The ex-spearmint was a success!
¤

29-Apr-2021 15:24:11

Kopaka
Dec Member 2023

Kopaka

Posts: 3,578 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Tons of websites don't log you out.

Facebook, YouTube, Google, just to name a few.

It's only a security risk if you're on a public computer, but you have to take precautions with logging yourself out of Facebook, email, YouTube, etc. on public computers already so I don't see why this has to be any different.

Not having the option of keeping yourself logged in when you're using your own private computer just feels archaic and overly protective.

23-Aug-2021 13:53:02

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Posts: 23,350 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kopaka said :

Those services also have an interface where it shows you all of the devices you're currently logged in on and gives you the option to log out all sessions. Kopaka said :
It's only a security risk if you're on a public computer, but you have to take precautions with logging yourself out of Facebook, email, YouTube, etc. on public computers already so I don't see why this has to be any different.
RuneScape lacks the interface to close all sessions (kinda). There's an interface to end all mobile game sessions, so something similar would need to be implemented for the web logins. Kopaka said :
Not having the option of keeping yourself logged in when you're using your own private computer just feels archaic and overly protective.
I'd rather have a service err on the side overly protective before leaving my account logged in without an interface to tell me all the places I'm still perma-logged on.
Spearmint30

¤
Food scientists have finally managed to remove the mint flavor from gum! The ex-spearmint was a success!
¤

23-Aug-2021 22:51:22

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Spearmint30 said :
Kopaka said :

Those services also have an interface where it shows you all of the devices you're currently logged in on and gives you the option to log out all sessions. Kopaka said :
RuneScape lacks the interface to close all sessions (kinda). There's an interface to end all mobile game sessions, so something similar would need to be implemented for the web logins. Kopaka said :
I'd rather have a service err on the side overly protective before leaving my account logged in without an interface to tell me all the places I'm still perma-logged on.

+1

So theres nothing wrong here as it just jagex looking out for its playerbase.

I mean why do ppl want their acc to be easier to hack?

That makes 0 sense.

Hence why the timer exists.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

25-Aug-2021 11:43:52

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,226 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So sick and tired of the forums randomly logging me out when I go to press post on something... :@

Shouldn't be a force log out timer at all in my opinion.....
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

28-Aug-2021 14:03:30

Quick find code: 278-279-341-66186785 Back to Top