Forums

Is it necessary captas? Thread is locked

Quick find code: 278-279-287-66238443

dps is easy

dps is easy

Posts: 36 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Is it really necessary that every single time I log on to the site I have to use my brain and remember what busses and boats look like (two things I otherwise have zero interaction with on a regular basis) before I can log in?

Really though, I have cookies enabled and I only log in on my phone. Is it a phone setting that's causing the capta prompts, is it intended? If so, like why though.

Also authenticator check only lasts 24 hours for me which is a minor inconvenience at most, but still

Edit: I use Chrome btw
Zanik is my favorite quest character and my best friend in runescape.
Proud owner of a quest cape

07-Dec-2021 21:20:59 - Last edited on 07-Dec-2021 21:22:33 by dps is easy

SushiCombo
Jan Member 2018

SushiCombo

Posts: 5,975 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The web team actively wants to make sure that your experience is as miserable as possible. So they put in aggressive captchas to combat most of their legitimate userbase.

08-Dec-2021 03:43:54 - Last edited on 08-Dec-2021 03:44:51 by SushiCombo

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Spearmint30 said :
Hey there,

Mod Lyon has responded on this before and affirmed CAPTCHA isn't going anywhere: Mod Lyon's responses
Sorry to say but that thread fell off this forums (Website & Forums) thus can't be reached anymore. Therefore lets forward other responses ...
Mod Lyon said :
There seems to be a misunderstanding of what CAPTCHA challenges are, and what they are for here.

CAPTCHA challenges are not, as suggested, a primary account security tool akin to the Authenticator.

CAPTCHA challenges are however, a tool used in order to protect our systems from abuse when our provider decides that a request is a little unusual for a countless number of reasons, and thus we need to affirm a user is human.

CAPTCHA challenges are important to keep RuneScape running, and to do things like reduce / ideally stop mass account creations by in-game website spammers. This is one of many cat and mouse games that we work with our partners to mitigate and is definitely not at a level we are happy with. If this system wasn't in place, we have recorded hundreds of thousands of attempts to create accounts which would then log into the game and ruin your in-game experience,

CAPTCHA challenges do protect your account when a malicious user might be submitting a large number of requests.

We are not going to be removing CAPTCHA challenges from the website, for those reasons. While I understand the frustration, we do work to minimise interruptions for our legitimate users and that work continues, as well as the provider of CAPTCHA (hCAPTCHA) continually improving their own service to be easier for humans, and more difficult for bots.

Thanks,
Mod Lyon

08-Dec-2021 10:23:56 - Last edited on 08-Dec-2021 13:56:40 by 2_Tron

2_Tron

2_Tron

Mod Lyon said :
Google are not involved with our CAPTCHA challenges anywhere on the RuneScape websites, the CAPTCHA challenges are served through a third party who have integrated with 'hCAPTCHA'.

Even if they were, they are not targeting anyone and have no reason to be doing so. If you are continually being challenged, that is likely due to privacy extensions or other changes to do with your device. Any CAPTCHA challenges are not 'we need help to see what trucks look like' but 'this specific request is a little unusual - lets ask them to click the trucks to be sure its a legitimate request'

08-Dec-2021 13:57:53

2_Tron

2_Tron

Mod Lyon said :
Roddy Piper said :
278-279-793-66111678

Actually, I just found the source of my confusion. So presumably, everything has changed since that point in time......

"There is no such thing as an alternative truth.

There is the truth, and that is Google provides a service (which is obviously used to train their AI [in my personal opinion]) for free, in return website owners can add that service to protect their own site at no cost."

Correct. We are continually updating our security systems, we do not discuss those improvements and have moved on, for now at least, from Google's reCAPTCHA solution that was in effect at the time of that post.

08-Dec-2021 14:00:06

dps is easy

dps is easy

Posts: 36 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
SushiCombo said :
The web team actively wants to make sure that your experience is as miserable as possible. So they put in aggressive captchas to combat most of their legitimate userbase.

Oh OK that clears it up thanks. Had to enter my authenticator code yet again today lol
Zanik is my favorite quest character and my best friend in runescape.
Proud owner of a quest cape

08-Dec-2021 14:42:58

Quick find code: 278-279-287-66238443 Back to Top