Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Klyntar

Klyntar

Posts: 7,177 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just dropping in to say hey from the land way back when.
It's been quite a while since I've even been on the forums and quit using everything. Just wanted to show some love for something I once used religiously.

05-Mar-2017 13:39:01 - Last edited on 05-Mar-2017 13:41:03 by Klyntar

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Posts: 447 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hiya Kable :)

Nice that you still pop in, it's always good to see an old face around. Hope all is well for you :)

Hugopluks13 said :
Loving it, it makes linking so much easier.

You're 100% correct about when there is no scrollbar, the issue was the same either way. It's an issue that has existed for quite some time, my original fix (from 2 or more years ago) didn't apply to more recent additions such as img and link tags. I'm at a loss as to why the qfc tag also played up but it's all sorted now, until next forum update :)

05-Mar-2017 23:52:34

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,457 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've always wondered why it takes me so long sometimes to interact with the "Select to reveal" tag that people use to link to Imgur on the public forums. I would spend so much time trying to click on it with nothing appearing. It'd sometimes take many page refreshes to get the box to display the image hidden within. I could never figure out why and just ignored it.

That's until I tried again and today and thought, "What if I try disabling Linkify, does it still happen?".

The answer was no. I went through an IRL pic thread on public off-topic (which had a ton of "select to reveal" boxes) and spam-clicked each one to see what happened with the extension disabled and enabled.

I also previewed my post with the box there to see what happened. With Linkify active, there was no response no matter how hard I clicked. I previewed my post again with the extension disabled and clicked, the image showed without problems.

On Linkify, it very frequently does not respond to my clicks. Turning off Linkify and refreshing the page allows me to see what image lies behind.

It does sometimes work with Linkify but not very often.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but thought I'd post it anyway.

08-Mar-2017 22:50:47

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Hiya Singularity,

I haven't been able to reproduce what you describe. But I remember someone else solved a similar problem by toggling the setting Use RS Linkify embedding for imgur BB tags.

http://i.imgur.com/5NhtN0H.png

You need to save and then refresh a forum page (preferably a page with click to reveal images) after changing the setting. Not sure if it'll help but its worth a try. In the meantime I'll look deeper into it :)

09-Mar-2017 06:14:36

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,457 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks, that works. It just now automatically displays the image instead (so no need to click the reveal box). I guess clicking it manually with Linkify active isn't working well together for some reason. It would work sometimes and other times fail. .

09-Mar-2017 21:46:35

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Glad we made some progress :)

It should work either way after toggling it on and then off again.

I think (hope) you can put the setting back to unchecked and it may work with "click to reveal" now. This worked for the only other case I heard of.

10-Mar-2017 01:02:18

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hiya, hope you're doing alright :)

I started a short web design course a few days ago, and one of the guys hosting it, I forget why he brought it up, but he said "a lazy coder is a good coder" and that he cuts corners wherever possible, and I was wondering what your stance on the matter is? :P
Selective Completionist

10-Mar-2017 12:26:09

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Hiya Amaethwr :)

That's so cool you're doing a short web design course.

I don't think it matters what you do, I believe in doing the best you can. Your work will always reflect your effort to some degree. Believe me, you'd be amazed how many talented people look over your code.

It doesn't matter if I'm coding or cooking (I have qualifications in I.T. and Hospitality) I don't do second best, ever!

As time passes I look back over my work and think "Wow, I can do so much better now" , or sometimes I think "What on earth was I thinking?" Whatever I feel, I know I did my best at the time. If I can do better it's not because I was lazy, but because I know so much more now.

Looking backcan go one of two ways. You'll either see how much you've learnt since, or it'lll show how slack you've been.

As for breaking the rules (coding conventions, practices, and methods). If you understand the rules, it can be okay to break them. However that has nothing to do with laziness and is more to do with finding non-conventional solutions (can be lots of fun).

I believe laziness comes at a cost to self esteem, readability, quality, flexibility, stability, satisfaction, troubleshooting, and so much more.

One final thing I will say, time is money. Many employers want code churned out asap. Thus cutting corners to meet a deadline is not only commonplace but often quite acceptable. Most devs are under pressure to deliver within a limited time frame, that's where things tend to get messy. It depends what conditions you're working under.

There is a demand for this sort of thing (quick and dirty code) and even though it may not be satisfying to write, it could be what allows you to hold down a job. So I guess it makes sense for that to be taught. I think there needs to be a focus on quality too, not just quick results.

My stance (2b || !2b) lazy? Meh, just have fun with it...

Dream it, code it :)

10-Mar-2017 14:30:11 - Last edited on 10-Mar-2017 15:19:34 by Lil Indecent

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wise words, thanks :O

Lil Indecent said :
I believe laziness comes at a cost to self esteem, readability, quality, flexibility, stability, satisfaction, troubleshooting, and so much more.
This makes sense.. I get the feeling I'd (try to) do stuff as 'properly' as possible, make it all very clean and clear :P I suppose I'd learn how to do some things quicker without reducing the quality of it all anyway, given time

I've got another week of this introductory course, then they'll look into helping with further training and employment as well.. I didn't really picture myself doing this, it was suggested to me and I just gave it a go (free, why not :D )

Lil Indecent said :
It doesn't matter if I'm coding or cooking (I have qualifications in I.T. and Hospitality)
Any chance of a Linkify cookbook? Merge your skills and get the book to cook for you :)
Selective Completionist

10-Mar-2017 16:26:37 - Last edited on 10-Mar-2017 16:37:25 by Amaethwr

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top