Forums

Skulled at Herb Patch

Quick find code: 259-260-728-66259663

Santah Khan
Jul Member 2004

Santah Khan

Posts: 2,858 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wow, New Wild is terribly un-thoughtout.

Imagine my surprise, when I teleported to the Herb Patch with the Wilderness Sword, and I arrived -- Skulled.

How did that happen? Yesterday, I used the Demonic Skull to make Soul Runes, and of course, I was skulled during the run to the Zammy Mage (level 5 wild). But I certainly didn't ask Vala to turn on PVP, I don't do that to other players.

So today, I started my herb run, without the Demonic Skull -- but it didn't matter. Using the DS turns on PVP (and the associated Skull), but unequiping the DS doesn't automatically turn off PVP.

Why does it not turn it off? Poor planning, or Jagex laughing wondering who it will catch off guard next>?

07-Aug-2022 21:52:48

Santah Khan
Jul Member 2004

Santah Khan

and later,

I did appreciate the Demons teleporting in and attacking, while I was busy chopping a bloodwood tree.

Then as I auto-retaliated, of course, I stepped away from the Bloodwood tree and all the logs I had chopped vanished.

Thanks Jagex, did you get a good laugh while programming that?

07-Aug-2022 22:22:16

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,163 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's dumb behaviour that being tagged for pvp for whatever reason will keep you in this state until you manually disable it again, rather than dropping back to your default state - but sadly this is intended. But yeah - since it's always like this you just can prevent the issue by manually disabling pvp again as soon as you're done with RCing. If you do not use the skull you no longer have to bother since the abyss doesn't require pvp anymore - but yeah, just turn it off once more.

Bloodwood tree just is working as intended - you leave the tree for whatever reason you lose your unprocessed items - but generally how did you do that while wilderness griefing was a thing?
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

09-Aug-2022 18:41:45 - Last edited on 09-Aug-2022 18:53:51 by Rikornak

Santah Khan
Jul Member 2004

Santah Khan

I was never pk'd at a Wild Bloodwood tree. I'd see their white dot on the minimap from a fair distance, and log. When I logged back in, that world, or another, I'd resume exactly where I left off.

Yah, Bloodwood trees as intended. Give strong monsters, while people are wearing woodcutting outfit. Can't log while under attack, so we have to either fight (move away from the tree) or run (move away from the tree), so all logs and unfinished bolts, are lost. Strange intention.

09-Aug-2022 18:46:42 - Last edited on 09-Aug-2022 18:48:44 by Santah Khan

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

I mean - it's basically how those things had been designed back then 10 years ago - yeah - in order to increase the risk you have by having to take the bolt tips with you in advance.

I do not fully know if you have a couple of seconds to log when those monsters spawn, but I guess the intention obviously is more either to run or to fight - which in your specific scenario both isn't an option.

They probably could do something about that, since the bolt tips obviously wouldn't contribute to additional risk anymore - of course if they wouldn't get the grandious idea to have bolt tips to tag you for pvp as well - hopefully not.

09-Aug-2022 18:59:22 - Last edited on 09-Aug-2022 19:00:19 by Rikornak

Santah Khan
Jul Member 2004

Santah Khan

When we right-click Vala.

Could we get the options:

Opt in of Pvp
Opt Out of Pvp

Talking to her always toggles the state. If we are Opted Out, and want to stay Opted Out, clicking Opt Out (when we forget, because there is no on-screen marker of which state we're in) would do nothing, except have her say: "you're already Opted Out".

Taking the Opt in option, would skip the dialogue.

09-Aug-2022 19:03:17

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Santah Khan said :
When we right-click Vala.

Could we get the options:

Opt in of Pvp
Opt Out of Pvp

Talking to her always toggles the state. If we are Opted Out, and want to stay Opted Out, clicking Opt Out (when we forget, because there is no on-screen marker of which state we're in) would do nothing, except have her say: "you're already Opted Out".

Taking the Opt in option, would skip the dialogue.

I am fully with you that this should be the intended behaviour. I've stopped doing my daily abyss run, since it's just incredibly obnoxious having to go to edgeville once more just to get rid of that pvp flag afterward. I mean I could do that again now without the skull, but that's still worse than pre rework to be fair...

I even would go a step further - you can't engage with anything at all tagging you for pvp if you do not enable it - i.e. you already can't take the hellfire bow, so the game also should prevent you harvesting cursed energy or entering the wilderness with the demonic skull equipped. Yeah - and demonic skulls and cursed energy shouldn't be tradeable in the first place - obviously a noob trap, but I do not see why some griefer should be able to abuse that in order to spite novice players.

09-Aug-2022 19:08:24 - Last edited on 09-Aug-2022 19:10:30 by Rikornak

Santah Khan
Jul Member 2004

Santah Khan

I get to edge with Wilderness Sword, but agree it's a pain to have it auto-turn-on, and have to manually shut it off. Jagex likes being funny.

It could be: equipping Demonic Skull will bring up a dialogue:

Equipping this item will automatically Opt In for PVP combat in the wild. Yes - No

When unequipping (or doing different bank preset), brings up the dialogue box again:

Unequipping this item, would you also like to Opt Out of PVP: Yes - No

09-Aug-2022 21:31:34

Santah Khan
Jul Member 2004

Santah Khan

Well, that was fun too. Nice joke on us players Jagex, you really must have had fun with this one. Yes, I was chopping bloodwood trees again, this time running east in high wild, from the eastern one, to the western one.

Right next to the Ancient Teleporter, I encountered the Demon bunch (again), not to worry, I just continued running away. Right into the Chaos Elemental, who through in his attacks. Not to worry, I just continued running away. Then the Chaos Elemental, said, hey, don't leave, and teleported me back to a little bit east of him.

Right back into the Demon bunch, who all proceeded to attack me again. Not to worry, I'll just continue, hey, why am I dead? Oh yah, that was funny.

Can't run away, can't fight. Double whammy. Congratulate yourselves on a joke well played.

18-Sep-2022 18:01:00

Quick find code: 259-260-728-66259663 Back to Top