Forums

HLF Guidelines & Strike System Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-724-65207744

Alexandro
Apr Member 2023

Alexandro

Posts: 24,004 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So one person now decides who is good or bad and wether they get a "strike"?

im already seeing posts of people editing and even saying theyre -scared- to voice their honest opinion due to being scared of being striked.

I guess we need to make sure to be politically correct and not show our true opinions. The start of a great dictatorship.

I find it odd to see people so "happy" over these changes when in reality everyone has to adapt and act fake cause all of a sudden "mod" lee is in town.

Im not afraid to say you've really put a damper on these forums. Guess ill go back to tip-toeing now or i might get a strike from our great god.

14-Nov-2013 23:44:41

Hello Mr Fro

Hello Mr Fro

Posts: 2,670 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Alexandro said :
So one person now decides who is good or bad and wether they get a "strike"?

im already seeing posts of people editing and even saying theyre -scared- to voice their honest opinion due to being scared of being striked.

I guess we need to make sure to be politically correct and not show our true opinions. The start of a great dictatorship.

I find it odd to see people so "happy" over these changes when in reality everyone has to adapt and act fake cause all of a sudden "mod" lee is in town.

Im not afraid to say you've really put a damper on these forums. Guess ill go back to tip-toeing now or i might get a strike from our great god.

As long as your honest opinion isnt
- Flaming/attacking anyone
-Purely stated to incite an argument
- Malicious content
Why should you feel worried to voice your opinion.
Honestly, so long as you want to add something meaningful to the discussion taking place you shouldn't have to tip-toe around.

These rules have been set in place for those who's only purpose on HLF was to tear others down or disrupt the general atmosphere, be it directly attacking other players or adding snide comments like "lol 2k13 maxers" to every post. Those kinds of things are very big deterrents to people - I have many friends who refuse to come on here because they know it as the garbage bin for trolls and spammers.

---
Come say Hola .

15-Nov-2013 00:05:28 - Last edited on 15-Nov-2013 00:20:19 by Hello Mr Fro

Alexandro
Apr Member 2023

Alexandro

Vandalizes said :
Because saying ur opinion disagreeing about an update will most likely start discussion where ppl disagree with eachother = strike? ;/
Idk if thats how it works, but it seems like it

­­­­
When in doubt, twerk it out
~
­­­­

Yep people will argue anyway so people will feel threathened knowing they can get muted.
And an opinion thats censored isnt an opinion at all.

Lee thinks he makes hlf a better place but now people are just being fake and not true to their personality.

And
Hello Mr Fro
i think that last couple of lines you wrote are just disgusting. So now in your opinion u cannot show how u really feel if its negative because SOMEONE might find it offensive.
I thought these forums were in a mature setting not kids raging over someones opinion.
I can see where you come from but thats just filtering people without good reason.
Whats wrong with an argument anyway? Do we really need to pretend we all love eachother now in order not to get muted?

15-Nov-2013 00:23:31

Hello Mr Fro

Hello Mr Fro

Posts: 2,670 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Alexandro said :
And Hello Mr Fro i think that last couple of lines you wrote are just disgusting. So now in your opinion u cannot show how u really feel if its negative because SOMEONE might find it offensive.
I thought these forums were in a mature setting not kids raging over someones opinion.
I can see where you come from but thats just filtering people without good reason.
Whats wrong with an argument anyway? Do we really need to pretend we all love eachother now in order not to get muted?

You're right about the last line, I edited that out after I took a step back and re read it.  I meant it in a way that isn't very easily stated or received over text without sounding demeaning/patronizing (Which wasn't what I was going for at all) so i'll just not include it again.

As for arguments -Its not that you shouldn't have differing opinions or be able to voice negative concerns, because often time you have a different perspective than others which could change their view.
- Its just when those arguments turn into personal attacks which has become common over the past couple months is when a strike is handed out.

---
Come say Hola .

15-Nov-2013 00:39:11

Alexandro
Apr Member 2023

Alexandro

I guess i just experience it differently. Ive been on these forums for a long time and to me it always felt like banter and fun.
I suppose it depends on whose on the receiving end and wether they can take someones heated opinion or not.

But i feel that was part of being mature and knowing how to deal with stuff like that.
I honestly feel putting rules like this in place will only make people complain more directly giving the mods more work.
And lets face it they already couldnt handle it.
In my opinion we always could handle things ourself and if it -REALLY- got bad we had a mod check things out.
Now its just all whiny childish adults who know they will get the attention from x-mod just by whining over miniscule things noone cared about before.

15-Nov-2013 00:56:14

King Corp

King Corp

Posts: 488 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Last Song, looks like opinions still run freely here. You are still around. I wouldn't want it any other way.
"What a man does for himself dies with him. What he does for his community, lives long after he is gone.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

15-Nov-2013 07:23:38

Jimla

Jimla

Posts: 5,394 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@ Last Song

Where exactly in the new strike system does it say voicing ones honest opinion is no longer allowed?

I am in full support of this system myself, yet I am not the kind of person to "act fake" in fear of getting penalized for my posts. I've always said whatever the fuck I want to say and I will continue to do this as long as it remains within the posted guidelines. Any other people with strong opinions like yourself should not feel restricted in your posts - providing your post is not causing any personal harm to somebody or crossing the boundary from honest, constructive criticism into hateful attacks.

The way I see it, these guidelines are put in place to try clean up some of the god awful messes this forum has seen recently. You can't honestly say it is a bad thing to get rid of the incessant spammers, flame baiters, trolls, and toxic individuals who contribute NOTHING positive to these forums and are here for no purpose other than to thrive off the drama they create and the reactions they get from other people.

I really don't think this hampers banter and fun, or prevents people from making jokes and being humorous. From what I've seen on the HLF, humour rarely enters into the occasion with a lot of the posting going on here in the past. The only people who find it funny are those dishing it out, or the small groups of cliques of bored people who hang out on the HLF nearly all day and love to see these dramatic situations unfold for their own entertainment - providing they are not the ones in the cross hairs, mind you.

It should really be a sad wake up call when the HLF becomes such a toxic environment that the LLF (low leveled forums) ends up being the better forum, full of constructive, interesting discussions and quality threads. We are supposed to be the older, more mature players, not the other way around!

15-Nov-2013 16:16:05

Jimla

Jimla

Posts: 5,394 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Vandalizes said :
Because saying ur opinion disagreeing about an update will most likely start discussion where ppl disagree with eachother = strike? ;/
Idk if thats how it works, but it seems like it

­­­­
When in doubt, twerk it out
~
­­­­

There are two types of arguing.

You can constructively disagree with somebodies post or opinion, tell them why, and banter back and forth with one another in a way that furthers the discussion and the topic at hand.

Then there is the kind of arguments we've seen in many OT threads lately, where two people argue endlessly about nothing for 50+ pages, attacking each other personally while everybody else cheers them on and takes sides, reveling in the entertainment.

Obviously the latter is mainly what Lee means by arguing & derailing threads .

15-Nov-2013 16:18:44

Quick find code: 259-260-724-65207744 Back to Top