Forums

A healthy mindset: RuneScape 3

Quick find code: 259-260-654-66083191

Yaaami
Aug Member 2023

Yaaami

Posts: 1,318 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have two small thoughts that have been in my head for a while that I would like to share with you today. A few days ago I made an ironman account. Prior to this, some time in 2015, I lost interest in this game and I basically only logged into this game periodically to speak with my friends. A few days ago, I decided that I was too bored to keep practicing Pichu in Smash Ultimate and went on my computer to find something new to do. Long story short I randomly made an ironman account on RS3, completely f2p, expecting to play for a few hours. As a matter of fact, I kept playing for days. I was hooked.

Here are the two thoughts which got to me that I wish to share

Small thought number 1: Most players in this game are high level veterans that did their low-mid level gaming in the olden golden days of RuneScape. Times have changed. There is a whole new game to be played as low level. A whole RPG. We just don't realize it, because our minds assume the early game is the same rough grind we did for our mains in 2010.

Small thought number 2: The pressure to be competitive against yourself or your peers to "grind efficiently",- the idea that everything that happens before high level content is a sacrifice to your soul for the greater good. We as veteran mains all fall prey to this unhealthy idea.

-------------

I would assume that the overwhelming majority of us have never considered making an ironman account in RS3. If this is the case with you, I highly encourage you to do so. Better yet, play that account without a guide and if you do wish to, keep the googl'ing to a minimum. Turn on paths and follow it for a while. Relieve yourself of any preconceptions and pressure that RuneScape is a stressful grind for status and wealth and face it like an RPG.

You will be surprised. I promise.
Thoughts and opinions of a Japanese RuneScape enjoyer c:

13-Feb-2019 18:43:19 - Last edited on 15-Feb-2019 14:39:39 by Yaaami

Bentoki
Jan Member 2023

Bentoki

Posts: 846 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've got a HCIM with base 80s and I have to say I absolutely hated the lower to mid game of ironman mode and the lower level account grind, my stats are essentially from questing and doing daily challenges, much prefer the game how it was as as evidence of that I much prefer grinding on my OSRS ironman.

I don't really see that much of a pressure from my peers to advance my stats and everything, maybe I just have good friends? I just go at my pace and achieve my goals and I'm never really attacked for doing so.

13-Feb-2019 20:53:45

SSS Doom SSS

SSS Doom SSS

Posts: 513 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nice post. I Maxed a long time ago and struggled with motivation to play for some time. At some point the grind just isn't that fun anymore. If the game starts to feel more like a job than fun then it is time to take a break. I have a lot of fun nowadays doing some quests, working on comp and do the skills that I like.

14-Feb-2019 12:37:28

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The game actually started to get boring for me when EOC took over and Dungeoneering became extremely easy. Two skills I always truly enjoyed, in this game, Slayer and then Dungeoneering. The reason being is they were never grinds. Found challenges with both. Now I am messing with OSRS and mainly doing Slayer. I think the problem with most of the stuff in the game is that it is too much the same thing for hours. Gets boring. Cannot believe I actually got 200mil wcing. Mainly because I could socialize.

14-Feb-2019 15:53:50

Nead
Sep Member 2012

Nead

Posts: 20,472 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I can see your point, but IM definitely isn't for everybody i.e. me. Instead, I've had far more enjoyment switching to OSRS essentially because of your reasonings of nostalgia and far less competition.

Ultimately, if you're not having fun in a videogame you're playing the wrong game.

- Ornery Onions -
Prioritizing inclusion, friendliness and offering a helping hand to those that need it.

16-Feb-2019 17:27:36

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,453 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I still prefer the normal version of RS3. Ironman is better suited for grinders, but that's not really me any more. I just want to log in and do what I want to do rather than feel like I need to grind heavily to get every item I want. That just isn't fun for me, not any more anyway.

My account is at a point now (goal-wise) where I don't have any pressures or stresses to grind stuff out. I feel free to do what I want and when I want.

My mindset is simply enjoying the parts of the game I like and not letting the negatives of the game get to me (things like MTX, lower and/or declining player count, update quality problems and so on).

17-Feb-2019 16:09:37 - Last edited on 17-Feb-2019 16:12:23 by Singularity

Lyrielle
Apr Member 2015

Lyrielle

Posts: 1,677 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ironman is fun and is a nice break from playing on a maxed account. Sometimes I really miss leveling up and unlocking things. Low-mid level ironman was the most fun for me, now that I'm lvl 80+ in all skills it got a bit grindy and less exciting. There is still a lot to do in terms of pvm though, like getting t90 weapons and things. After that's achieved I'm not sure I will play on it much.

24-Feb-2019 18:17:18

Quick find code: 259-260-654-66083191 Back to Top