Forums

370 have 5.4bil

Quick find code: 259-260-371-66027308

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,453 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm surprised it's still this low considering how fast XP continues to accelerate. Just shows that despite all the "Easyscape", it's still a long enough achievement and because it's long, it's still something to be personally happy about. It's still one of those rare achievements that only 300-something players in the entire game can say they have. That counts for something even if it's slowly being destroyed and made easier by updates and micro-transactions.

It's nowhere near on a level of getting A 99 back in the day, probably not even on the level of getting all 99s unless you go so far back to the olden days (classic or something). 5.4 still requires a lot of time investment unless you're rich enough IRL to not have to ever play the game.

All time-based achievements are subject to having more people get it the more time that goes by. It's not a skill-based achievement like 4000% Telos is. All it requires is time and to be rich (IRL or virtually) which are significantly easier for someone to be able to do as opposed to getting highly-skilled at a boss fight or some other achievement that heavily depends on an individual's skill.

Basically, there's always going to be more people achieving something. The rate at which this happens really depends on the type of achievement it is and what it requires from people, and whether any update is affecting it. All time-based achievements will always eventually have the number of people having achieved something be higher than it was at another point of time. That doesn't mean it's not something to be happy about nor does it take anything away from the achievement because as long as it takes a long enough time, it'll be seen as a decent achievement.

We get it though. The game is getting easier and will continue to do so as the will to grind from gamers as a whole dies out. People just don't want to sit there and grind away (like they do in life) to get something any more. So the game is adapting to change that.

16-Jul-2018 20:58:13 - Last edited on 16-Jul-2018 21:03:29 by Singularity

Diglet
Jun Member 2012

Diglet

Posts: 2,141 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
5.4 would still take 600-700ish days if you don't dump thousands on Treasure Hunter.

''10 years ago'' i had no problem getting 99s way faster than that xd but yeah its all just bait to get people upset. I'll be getting 5.4 this week and it doesn't bother me that there are another 370 people with it, some of which have maybe 300 days played and dumped bank IRL on the game.

5.4 is your own ;personal achievement', play how you want to play and don't let the gameplay of others ruin that for you. Sure the race for ranks in the high-scores died with the introduction of Treasure Hunter, but in the end its a 'personal achievement'. Good thing i never cared about ranks in the first place.
i like trains

16-Jul-2018 21:46:55

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Have to admit 9k people had 99 fishing in 2008. But it is not so much time based as it is achievement based. People actually got excited when a friend got a 99 in 2008. Nobody really cares if somebody gets maxed experience now because a person can just buy it.

16-Jul-2018 22:24:28 - Last edited on 16-Jul-2018 22:25:12 by CaptKoloth

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,453 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That may be true, but the number is still much lower than you'd expect when you can simply just buy it. It just shows that using TH 100% of the way is not realistic or affordable for most people. What affects achievements like 5.4B XP more is updates made to in-game training. Updates always accelerate XP rates and make them less intense. This opens the doors for more people to pursue it and the more popular an achievement is, the more people that will strive for it and when there's lots of people going for it, the number of people with the achievement is bound to rise.

5.4b XP is definitely easier but it's not easy enough for a new player or even somebody at the middle-level to say, "right, I'm going for 5.4b and I'll have it in a few months!". It'll still takes lots and lots of time investment, which is what a majority of our achievements require. The more free time you have, the further you get. An easier route, offered by micro-transactions, allows one to cut down the time investment significantly. However, to do it 100% buyable, you need to be filthy rich (in-game or IRL). There's not many people that have done 5.4B XP through just TH alone. They may use it partially, but not completely. And even those that use it partially, it still takes them a while to hit 5.4B.

If 5.4 was that damn easy, the number would be a lot higher I feel. I was rank 78 or so when I got 200m all in September 2016. So since I maxed out XP, just 292 people have also got it. That sounds really low to me. I was expecting it to be much higher given how easy XP is now.

And tbh, even if TH didn't exist, I still wouldn't care about XP achievements unless it was my own because I no longer find achievements that are mostly time-based to be "impressive" because it really just means the player has a lot of free time on their hands, nothing else. I'm more impressed by skill-based achievements like 4000% Telos. They say something more than just, "Oh he/she has tons of free time to spare".

17-Jul-2018 00:11:08 - Last edited on 17-Jul-2018 00:15:19 by Singularity

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Yugioh, I started playing OSRS again. Was thinking of getting 99 fishy just to get an untrimmed fishy cape again. Yep, did not get very far on OSRS. Don't play this game enough anymore to do much. But anyway, it is kind of cool to see the old retro look again. For kicks, been watching the vid of my 99 fishy, in 2008. Still cracks me up. Hard to believe it is still on youtube. Oh my 10th Anniversary of my first 99 is coming in August.

17-Jul-2018 04:08:10

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Singularity, what gets me is not so much the quantity of people, with 5.4bil total. The fact is that it probably would of not of happened without updates like Prif. Even with bosses, they are being mastered much faster because of the weapons of today. Back in the days of Corp and Nex even. The bosses could not even be soloed for months after release. Don't even think Nex had a successful solo til after the release of EOC. Going back even further, Kalphite Queen took years (release of Barrows Brothers) before players could master her. Think the problem, with the game, is balance. Seems things were more balanced pre-eoc. Cannot believe I ever complained about it then too. In other words, in the old days, things made sense.

Oh I know what happened. Sliske killed Guthix so balance died.

17-Jul-2018 04:26:02 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2018 01:48:01 by CaptKoloth

Spady
Aug Member 2013

Spady

Posts: 5,722 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Singularity, there are probably so few who have it because so many don't want it anymore. I stopped caring about xp on this account years ago. And I loved skilling. LOVED. I skill on my hcim now, will probably get 5.4 on it someday instead.

17-Jul-2018 21:17:01

Quick find code: 259-260-371-66027308 Back to Top