Forums

Current Jagex Development

Quick find code: 259-260-291-66058635

Bentoki
Jan Member 2023

Bentoki

Posts: 846 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A few months ago I had a bit of a creative outlet and wrote an essay of sorts on how Jagex don't develop content with the current veteran player in mind, which is why so many people have moved over to OSRS.

It's long, and I don't expect many to read it over, but here are my thoughts on the matter.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rX3yk3MB0bczi6fNPrDeS6j9JFxl3T2f_T9JRsMu7cs/edit?usp=sharing

08-Nov-2018 17:52:48 - Last edited on 08-Nov-2018 18:30:12 by Bentoki

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,226 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Was a nice read. I agree with quite a few things you've mentioned..
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

08-Nov-2018 22:19:06

Wolfblue42

Wolfblue42

Posts: 3,962 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The time invested part rings true, too much time spent 1000s of hours and to throw it all away is hard to do. I hear that bit a lot with the players that come back, hate rs3, wish to go to osrs only to find they have to restart from scratch at lvl 1 for os. Then they say f that and either quit or swallow their pride.

The catch up game people have to play doesn't seem pleasant. I always hear lower lvl friends preach about oh I can't wait to get curses, oh i can't wait to priff, they either get burned out or rush so fast. Once they hit that goal do they care to play further or did they even enjoy the ride up to that point.

Logging in after many years only to find you have to grind just to do what most others are currently doing is probably a turn off if they don't enjoy point a to point b. That's the issue they would face with this 120 all skills talk, you further the goal posts and destroy any motivation to play an even further catch up game.

The games probably too far invested in eoc to do some radical combat change for everything so I think they'd keep bleeding out old vets who find an afkscape or xpscape replacing the old game they loved.

Menaphos and the salty title were so out of touch for em. Idk who thought injecting a livid farm esque grind would be well recieved by their players. The dimension of the damned was the most hilarious blunder especially with all the qa stuff they posted around that month or prior, think 1/4th got killed by a bug or such.

I think they're gambling everything on mobile. If when released and their work output with content amount doesn't improve they won't have an excuse to have large droughts of no content.

You made a good point with if they have droughts or only small live events what exactly are they doing with that time leftover? So far in most's eyes it seems to be crickets, mobile, or some side remastered project. Both of which are very far off things and not something to login in for today which equals breaks or quit.

10-Nov-2018 21:00:17

Ajaya Rose

Ajaya Rose

Posts: 484 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nice essay. I shared the link with some others who don't have access to HLF. Windsofnight who has a thread in LLF would like your permission to share your article with the wider forum community on that thread and ask me to post here to ask since there was no way to reach you in-game to ask. I will check back to see if you are agreeable.

13-Nov-2018 04:01:33

Bentoki
Jan Member 2023

Bentoki

Ajaya Rose said :
Nice essay. I shared the link with some others who don't have access to HLF. Windsofnight who has a thread in LLF would like your permission to share your article with the wider forum community on that thread and ask me to post here to ask since there was no way to reach you in-game to ask. I will check back to see if you are agreeable.

That's absolutely fine

13-Nov-2018 14:39:57

Ajaya Rose

Ajaya Rose

Posts: 484 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bentoki said :
Ajaya Rose said :

That's absolutely fine

I will let Windsofnight know. Thank you.

14-Nov-2018 13:55:20

H Rassy
Sep Member 2023

H Rassy

Posts: 17,469 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Combat system maybe is an issue for mobile. You can do old school combat on mobile quiet easily but is that possible for eoc combat? it seems like it would be a lot more difficult to play eoc from mobile. rs3 maybe is to complicated for mobile though most skilling should work pretty well at least. Am curious how it will be received,i don't expect the bump that old school got but I guess many players going for all 120 or all 200m xp will be happy to also be able to skill on their phone.

@wolfblue.

17-Nov-2018 01:01:16 - Last edited on 17-Nov-2018 01:02:07 by H Rassy

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The biggest example of the difference between what happened to RS3 is the Halloween Event. It was just a big grind to get bonus experience. Which is basically what RS3 has become. Just about gaining experience. No real fun or lore anymore. Yes there was the Four Horsemen Theme. But that was it in a nut shell. Now look at OSRS's Halloween Event. It had a funny story and was short and sweet. The way the old events used to be.

17-Nov-2018 17:45:36

Bentoki
Jan Member 2023

Bentoki

Loki said :
Was a nice read. I agree with quite a few things you've mentioned..

Thanks for the kind words :)

Wolfblue42 said :
snip

Thanks for the feedback, it is a bit of a shame in a way in how obviously bad content is for the veteran or active player, however devs just sorta keep doing their thing being told by management what to do because its probably "better for the company", all big game companies seem to be doing this now, we've heard similar stories with Blizzard and that Mobile game teaser. Its just this weird disconnect between what players want and what the company thinks will get them more money, which ends up being worse for them in the long run.

20-Nov-2018 10:18:46

Quick find code: 259-260-291-66058635 Back to Top