Forums

Comp Cape - what should it be?

Quick find code: 259-260-271-66047890

Gleothain

Gleothain

Posts: 339 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's been a while since I've seen this particular elephant addressed, and postponing the discussion indefinitely won't help anyone. It would be interesting to get some of your views on this. The topic also seems quite polarizing, so please share your thoughts, but be civil about it.

Why do anything at all?
As it is, comp cape exists in this weird space where it’s not really intuitive if something qualifies for comp, comp (t) or MQC. Calls for change and consistency has been frequent, and as far as I know, Jagex agrees that it needs to be better defined. Having set guidelines for what comp and (t) is meant to be also streamlines the decision process, as well as being a predictable indicator for us whether a recent addition will be required for trim, comp or neither.

Should everyone be able to get it, given enough time and effort?
This is a question that needs to be asked, because it will steer the course of what requirements go where. As it stands now, not everyone is able to get it, no matter the strength and equipment of their in-game character – neurological disorders can make high-end PvM physically impossible.

Should it be BIS?
The comp cape is BIS, yes, but it is also from a different era – when it was released, we had neither divination, invention, or even t90 gear, so its impact on stats is less significant than it once was. Nevertheless, some find it unfair that the best combat cape in game is locked behind a ton of non-combat related achievements. Others again are perfectly fine with having one equipment slot tied into the prestige that comes with a comp cape.

What about devaluing it?
Making the cape more accessible is devaluing the cape somewhat. Either way, comp/max capes are now WAY more common than they once were, so it can be argued that devaluing 7 year old content is to be expected.

24-Sep-2018 22:44:50

Gleothain

Gleothain

What follows are my personal thoughts on the subject.

I believe that the base comp cape should be within reach of everyone regardless of health issues or what have you, and this means dropping the Reaper requirement. While this does make it “easier” to get, you still need over 50% more total exp than for Max cape, with the additional requirement of ALL quests etc. To be honest, I don’t see a problem keeping it BIS, as there are so many other equipment slots that could be utilized for PvM-dependent stat boosts (what are even sigils). Keeping the cape slot as a marker of achievement has been a trend ever since the blue cape from Champions’ Guild, and I kinda like the idea of that. I also think we need an additional level of trim to fully distinguish between requirements.

As such, I propose having an additional level of trim (and requirements) to the cape, and separating the levels by “having access to everything”, “having done everything” and “having completed everything” as guidelines.

24-Sep-2018 22:46:26

Gleothain

Gleothain

Comp – having access to everything
One way to look at it – if you’ve completed the game, the world is your oyster. You can do anything you want; no area of the game is closed off to you. Soul rune crafting? Go ahead. Wanna try killing Nex with only your self-made tetsu katanas and home-smithed rune platebody? Knock yourself out. Solo rushing the deepest level of Daemonheim? Sure thing. Reminisce with Azzanadra about the time you faced an Elder God and lived? But, of course!

I think that having to leech something to be able to get the end-game cape is less than ideal. This definition of having completed everything makes it still accessible to the solo player (with an exception of Heroes’ Quest, iirc), as well as opening the door for people who for whatever reason (medical, psychological, geographical) cannot complete things like Araxxor. Everything here is completable by anyone, given enough time. As such, it is a testament to the players’ completionist mindset, not a promise that everything has already been done.

As such, the requirements for the base comp cape would include
- All skills maxed
- All quests done
- All tasks done
- All music unlocked
- Abyss unlocked
- All prawn perks unlocked
- Tortle Island portals unlocked
- Arc miniquests done
- All invention blueprints
- Unlock all spells (tune bane ore, bones to peaches, Livid Farm shudders )
- Having all capes (or at least their recipe) – this includes spirit cape, reefwalker, Kiln capes

This way, there is no combat that exceeds the difficulty of quest combat, and is basically brute-forceable given time and preparation (if you managed to kill Nomad, you should be able to do Kiln with obsidian gear and supreme salves).

24-Sep-2018 22:47:36

Gleothain

Gleothain

Comp (t) – having done everything
This falls sort of between what comp is today and what trim is today, but I think that distinction is needed. The requirements here would be things like
- Reaper title
- Rush of Blood
- Morvran’s slayer challenge
- Completed all minigames and D&Ds at least once
- Construct a Tuska mask
- All non-buyable abilities unlocked
- Agile gear
- Court Cases
- All unlocks from Waiko reward shop
- Complete PoP
- Defeat all Champions
- Maxed Temple Trekking companions
- Upgrade Thieves’ Guild
- All permanent effects from Death’s store
- Unlock all additional transportation routes (plant fairy rings, eagles, hot air balloons)
- Show a set of decorative armour to Lanthus
- General post-quest and miniquest things that have rewards beyond lore (Kharshai memories, Clarence’s funeral, max out Ivandis flail, Doric and Boric etc.)
- General small things that have rewards beyond lore (Yaktwee stick enhancement, Memorial of Guthix once etc.)
- Barbarian training
- Max out roles in Barb assault
- Defeat memory of Nomad
- Prifddinas Spirit tree reunited with the rest
- Elven clan tasks
- Runespan rank 1
- All permanent unlocks from slayer reward shop
- Complete Slayer codex
- Complete Menaphos rep
- All rewards from Artisan’s Workshop

24-Sep-2018 22:48:42

Gleothain

Gleothain

Comp (tt) – having completed everything
This would be for the really determined ones. I believe this should encompass almost everything you could think of (and the forum posts on RSOF have thought of quite a bit), with the sole exception of completing drop logs/clue scroll logs. Why? I think titles should be used to boast about that, as literal decades could be spent without having the RNG to get it all. After all, I want to see a (tt) cape once every blue moon. With (tt), you could choose trim colour from all available master cape trims, and emote could be transforming into a gilded KBD to burn the RS logo into the ground. Or something.

Examples of (tt) requirements would be
- MQC
- Insane Final Boss
- Globetrotter outfit
- Profound armour shown to Lanthus
- 4k Chompy kills
- All skill pets
- All prayers and abilities unlocked
- All permanent unlocks from all minigame and D&D reward shops
- Full tool belt
- All feat-based PvM titles (Annihilator, Warden)
- All feat-based PvM achievements (kill Graardor with fists, Araxxor with bronze etc.)
- All general non-RNG achievements (run across Gielinor etc.)
- Prestige all prestige-able D&Ds (aquarium, 3+ times of Guthix Memorial etc.)

This way it would be immensely hard to get, without being literally impossible due to RNG-shafting. Thoughts?

24-Sep-2018 22:50:12 - Last edited on 24-Sep-2018 22:52:13 by Gleothain

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The original orientation of comp was it was only supposed to be obtained by elite players.

But in time, it turned into something where mediocre felt they should be able to obtain.

So what needs to be done is what is considered true elite content.

24-Sep-2018 23:55:54 - Last edited on 24-Sep-2018 23:57:01 by CaptKoloth

Gleothain

Gleothain

"Well, if you’ve gone beyond RuneScape’s skills and have completed all quests, Tasks, mini and hidden quests, have unlocked all music and spellbooks, and performed a number of other such feats, you might be able to claim rightful ownership of a completionist cape."

This is verbatim from the update that brought us the Comp cape. At the time, the reqs were along the lines of all skills, all quests, all tasks, all miniquests, all music, all magic spells, all prayers. And that's about it. All of them achievable without much more than time invested.

Since then, we've seen things like Nihil fight, all of Prifddinas, Fight Kiln and Reaper actually pushing the required skill a fair bit up from when it was released. Yes, power creep and all that, but I'd argue Telos and Solak are harder than '11 Nex from a mechanical perspective (and you didn't have to beat Nex to get the cape originally - just unlock the music).

I like the idea that the base comp cape should be accessible for everyone given enough time and dedication, rather than skill. Thus my proposed three-step tiering of it, also including the "true trim" level for maximum prestige and elite points.

25-Sep-2018 01:08:33 - Last edited on 25-Sep-2018 01:09:42 by Gleothain

Lyrielle
Apr Member 2015

Lyrielle

Posts: 1,677 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think it should include all aspects of the game, skilling, combat, quests, etc. It's not going to be like true trim obviously, that would include every piece of content ever released. Maybe jagex should rename it to something like achievements cape because current name is rather confusing.

26-Sep-2018 16:19:49

Cyanid
Jan Member 2006

Cyanid

Posts: 24,133 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
but if they remove reaper from comp that will make all the people that paid for leeches salty

and that would be bad

¸¬°™°¬¸
With
¸¬°™°¬¸
Closed Eyes
¸¬°™°¬¸
I §ee
¸¬°™°¬¸
’¸·ˆ·¸
¶¶
`»—«’
¶right¶
`•
†hrøugh
•’
¶¥øu¶
`»—«’
¶¶
¸·ˆ·¸‘

‘•»¸¸«¤°˜¯‘•¸
¶¶¶¶¶
`
¤•¤
¶¶¶¶¶
¸•’¯˜°¤»¸¸«•’

°¬_¸–’
’¸¤·¤¸‘
‘–¸_¬°

27-Sep-2018 03:14:51

Bobhaz
Jun Member 2021

Bobhaz

Posts: 55,618 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cyanid said :
but if they remove reaper from comp that will make all the people that paid for leeches salty

and that would be bad

¸¬°™°¬¸
With
¸¬°™°¬¸
Closed Eyes
¸¬°™°¬¸
I §ee
¸¬°™°¬¸
’¸·ˆ·¸
¶¶
`»—«’
¶right¶
`•
†hrøugh
•’
¶¥øu¶
`»—«’
¶¶
¸·ˆ·¸‘

‘•»¸¸«¤°˜¯‘•¸
¶¶¶¶¶
`
¤•¤
¶¶¶¶¶
¸•’¯˜°¤»¸¸«•’

°¬_¸–’
’¸¤·¤¸‘
‘–¸_¬°
that would be great what are you on about !

27-Sep-2018 03:17:27

Quick find code: 259-260-271-66047890 Back to Top