HLF General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579

Baknoob

Baknoob

Posts: 4,680 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chee arra said :
Whoever did this is incredible.
Whomever did this is incredible.

I think the latter would be used that instance?

Yeah, I think 'whom' would be used there, it's the object of 'incredible'.
José Mourinho's Red Army.

24-May-2016 10:56:49 - Last edited on 24-May-2016 10:57:41 by Baknoob

Otter
Dec Member 2006

Otter

Posts: 18,155 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhom.asp

This makes it rather easy. Its just remembering (or caring enough to) bother checking before hitting enter. I think the biggest problem is that our culture generally cares more about speed than accuracy, and in many cases, using the wrong form of who or whom isn't going to make your message any less clear, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

24-May-2016 10:57:41

Otter
Dec Member 2006

Otter

Posts: 18,155 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Baknoob said :
Chee arra said :
Whoever did this is incredible.
Whomever did this is incredible.

I think the latter would be used that instance?

Yeah, I think 'whom' would be used there, it's the object of 'incredible'.

In this case I think it would be Whoever? Since it would be "What he did was incredible" and not "What him did is incredible" but maybe the ever part after the who/whom changes it.

24-May-2016 10:59:06

Baknoob

Baknoob

R obin said :
Where I'm from 1/4th of the written English exam focuses on the use of such words

I've often noticed that people on this game whose first language isn't English apply its grammar with greater accuracy than native speakers.

24-May-2016 11:02:51

Rib
Apr Member 2020

Rib

Posts: 3,168 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Whosever masterrace!
Accidently surged up a dinosaurs ass, became stuck then activated double surge and burst out its chest alien-style!
Got his dragon mattocks then crashed the clan citadel into Anachronia wiping out the dinosaurs.

24-May-2016 11:03:09

Baknoob

Baknoob

Otter said :
In this case I think it would be Whoever? Since it would be "What he did was incredible" and not "What him did is incredible" but maybe the ever part after the who/whom changes it.

Maybe you're right. My head hurts a little.

24-May-2016 11:03:18

R obin

R obin

Posts: 5,692 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Otter said :
http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhom.asp

This makes it rather easy. Its just remembering (or caring enough to) bother checking before hitting enter. I think the biggest problem is that our culture generally cares more about speed than accuracy, and in many cases, using the wrong form of who or whom isn't going to make your message any less clear, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

I agree, which means we'll end up with people using made up abbreviations, facebook is a prime example of that.

24-May-2016 11:05:00

Rib
Apr Member 2020

Rib

Posts: 3,168 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Baknoob said :
Otter said :

Mabi yeah rite. Ma noggin ouched a small.

Fixed.
Accidently surged up a dinosaurs ass, became stuck then activated double surge and burst out its chest alien-style!
Got his dragon mattocks then crashed the clan citadel into Anachronia wiping out the dinosaurs.

24-May-2016 11:05:58

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579 Back to Top