Forums

HLF General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dodo said :
1. How could I easily transfer over files from current HDD to new one?

Basically what you said. If your new SSD is set as the boot device it will always boot from that first, failing that, look at other drives for OS installs. Or, if you were being super cautious, you could force it to boot from the SSD by mashing one of the F keys during startup, idr which one though.

Dodo said :
2. Process of upgrading. Buy slowly over next 1-2 months looking for good deals or wait until I have enough saved up.

I bought slowly over a few months too, gave me time to research each individual part while keeping an eye out for deals. I suggest it.

Dodo said :
3. DDR3 or DDR4

This isn't a choice "you" make - it depends what CPU you get. There's only one recent line of CPUs that are compatible with both, but if you use DDR3 it starts to kill the processor, so...

Dodo said :
4. Salvaging parts from a 2011 build

Is it modular? If not, I'd salvage nothing and just buy a new, 80 Plus Bronze or higher PSU that is modular, they aren't too expensive nowadays.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

20-Feb-2016 18:36:51

Dodo
May Member 2022

Dodo

Posts: 18,920 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
1. That is how I figured it worked. Still going to backup some of the important things just because it can't hurt to be safe.

2. The only problem with that is once I buy something, I'm stuck with it and can't easily change to something else. I think im overthinking that part though. I've been browsing r/buildapcsales a lot, along with other places though. I've seen some good deals but haven't bit on anything yet.

3. Yeah I know that :p but at this stage it's still something I can decide on buying DDR4 compatible parts or not.

4. It's this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017
I still have all the extra cables in my closet somewhere too.

20-Feb-2016 18:46:41

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh man that PSU looks ghetto as fuck, I don't even think OCZ make PSUs any more lol - I'd personally get a new one. EVGA are rebranded Superflower PSUs which are the best you can get really - Aside from Corsair AX series and possibly some of Seasonic's more expensive ones. EVGA ones are also pretty budget friendly.

Do you guys not have 30 day return periods for items? And have you checked out "Microcenter" if you live close to one? Tbh, once you get an idea of what you want, your choices start to become limited anyway, it's hard to make the wrong decision once you have decided what you want.

As for RAM, there is no real difference between DDR3 and DDR4, however they are pretty much the same price and if you end up getting an i5-6600/i7-6700 I'd get the DDR4 version just so you can carry that RAM into the future with you.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

20-Feb-2016 18:54:41

StoutStarmie

StoutStarmie

Posts: 2,515 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Microcenter is great, got all my builds parts from them with great deals over the course of a few months :3 Pretty sure they have a 30 day return as long as the thing isn't opened, if it is it gets a bit questionable if they'll take it back
It's not the end that I fear with each breath, it's life that scares me to death

20-Feb-2016 19:00:38

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579 Back to Top