Forums

HLF General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579

Dodo
May Member 2022

Dodo

Posts: 18,920 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm going to be buying a new computer soon and got some questions, if anyone here might know the answer. Going to Google some of them later but I just want to get my thoughts down.

1. How could I easily transfer over files from current HDD to new one?

My idea was after installing the new OS, plug in my current HDD as a third hard drive (new SSD and HDD being first two) and hope the OS install on that doesn't overide the new OS install on startup. If that didn't work, I would compress the important stuff and just save to a flash drive. (I hope that wasn't confusing to read)

2. Process of upgrading. Buy slowly over next 1-2 months looking for good deals or wait until I have enough saved up.

It won't be another 4-6 weeks until I have a majority of what I want to spend saved up. This is mostly preference, I guess, but there are some other pros and cons. Finding the right deals, making sure everything is compatible, changing my mind later on and wanting something else, etc.

3. DDR3 or DDR4

Pretty sure I'll go with DDR3, but other arguements for DDR4 would be cool. I don't believe the difference between the two is that significant for gaming

4. Salvaging parts from a 2011 build

I don't think anything is worth saving besides my disk drive and possibly my PSU. Do PSUs get outdated? It's a 600w modular OCZ one that I haven't had issues with. I obviously would have to see if my new build is below 600w, but saving it could save me some money for other things

Sorry for long unrelated post, but ik some of yall like computer talk so yeah

20-Feb-2016 18:32:04

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579 Back to Top