Forums

The Cost of War

Quick find code: 237-238-885-65830310

Geythir
Jun Member 2013

Geythir

Posts: 1,723 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
With the Knight-Templar falling under the blade of the Highway man. He stabbed the dagger deep into the Knight's throat before moving to loot anything of value. A few trinkets in his bag, a worn star of Saradomin, but for whatever reason the robber seemed drawn to a worn black book. A blue sword with the highlight of flames stitch into the leather cover. Curiosity won out and the Highwayman started to flip through the pages before finding the last entry;

I remember the night I took my Oaths as a young man. Years of training, of worship, of vigil, I had finally done it, I had joined one of the most Holy Orders of the Church. A warrior of Saradomin, a protector of the people, a shield against the Darkness, a white flaming sword.

My Faith, my belief, it was all I had. It shielded me, protected me from anything and everything. And in doing so, it was my downfall.

I was young once in doing so I fell into the pitfalls of every young Templar. I thought I was special, I held a connection to Saradomin, to Him. I was willing to serve, I had to serve. My devotion was out matched, but for what?

For the first Sin. My Knight-Commander was simple in giving her orders; hunt down the Mage Apostate that had verbally spoke down to a Priest and show them the Light of Saradomin. A part of me, a voice, shouted to speak up. This wasn't like in our vows, we did not hunt those who simply did not believe in Our Lord's Light. What had he done to bring such a fury?

But I was a soldier, a Knight of Saradomin, and I followed my orders. Myself and two others tracked the Apostate to a farmhouse outside of Falador. I...I killed him. I ran him through with my blade before he could even cast a spell.

When I returned I was promoted to a Knight-Corporal and the Priest that was offended personally thanked me. Took me to the side and said I had a bright future before me.

--
Myles
A lot of Characters | World 42

31-Dec-2016 21:56:59 - Last edited on 31-Dec-2016 21:59:22 by Geythir

Geythir
Jun Member 2013

Geythir

--

It is funny, Faith. Devotion. Which devotion is more correct; to the Order, to Saradomin, to the People, to Goodness, to yourself?

We swear Oaths, too many Oaths. Protect the innocent, live an upright life, follow your orders, follow His Light. But to do one, you break another.

The others never understood that. No matter how hard I tried, no matter how many years I spent to show the younger recruits that it wasn’t all black and white, I lost it more and more.

Until now, I have been called by the Knight-Divine to Falador, to answer for my charges of Heresy against the Church and the Order.

Heresy they call it. To have a heart. I will never understand it.

They sit on a white throne in the House of Saradomin and rule as he would. I know now, they think themselves their own Gods in their own right. Blinded and guided by no more Faith than the Heretics and Apostates that we are charged to hunt.

But even now, I must stay true to my path. It is all I have left.

In the long hours of the night
When hope has abandoned me,
I will see the stars and know
Your Light remains.

--

Had this floating through my head. Based on one of the old Knight Orders of the old version of the Saradomin Church. Just a bit of free writing.
Myles

31-Dec-2016 21:57:06 - Last edited on 31-Dec-2016 22:00:10 by Geythir

Melkarth
Sep Member 2022

Melkarth

Posts: 14,783 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Excerpt from the diary of Kaeso Del'Vair

Dear Marge,

Today is my one-hundredth-and-twenty-seventh birthday. I think. I've lost count. A man should never live to be this old. He sees too much. One advantage, however, is plenty of spare time to work on theorems for costing measures. For example, I recently worked out that the cost of war RC(L) + EC(G), where RC is Regular Costs (such as maintenance), EC is Expected Costs (such as reinforcements), L is Length of War, and G represents the gender of the monarch (with 1 = male, 2 = female). Women are emotional and tend to make bad decisions, doubling the cost of war. They pay attention to such things as emotion, harming innocents, yada yada yada. Anywho, James says the tea is ready. We'll chat again soon.

K.

01-Jan-2017 20:48:39

KDF-Juan
May Member 2018

KDF-Juan

Posts: 1,124 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
From the journal of General Gregory Forge.

I still remember that night, the barracks was filled with activity preparing for the invasion of Burthorpe. I was a much younger man, full of fear and excitement at the day to come. Little did I know what that night had in store for me.

A commanding officer came into our barracks and ordered the full unit to get suited and prepare to march. We were all confused as we weren't set to leave till dawn, it wasnt until I overheard some stable boy who just arrived from the capital spew some story of House Ryders treason and how King Vectis had their leader executed.

Oh well I knew what that meant. The march to Camelot was a quiet one, most of us now knew what we were about to do. Upon arrival everything broke into chaos, men who we were just training with were now our targets. Fires, screams and sword clashing filled the castle as the guard of House Ryder and our armsmen clashed. As prominent Ryders fled we secured the castle for our King.

I did not sleep that night, my morale for the invasion to come was shattered. But I did my duty as I always had and pushed myself forward for Kandarin.
It's just business.

02-May-2017 19:42:50 - Last edited on 02-May-2017 19:55:51 by KDF-Juan

Vekon

Vekon

Posts: 2,037 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The thoughts and machinations of High King Axel Vekon's mind.

How long has it been since I championed the cause of the Kandars in a rebellion against the dominating Empire of Gielinor? Decades; the people still remember their Prince as if it just happened a day ago.
How long since I earned the trust of an entire military and ended the era of False Kings..? Even with help from friends and family I had not seen in ages; even the descendants of my distant brother came to my aid.
They call me "Redeemer". I have come as far as reuniting the Kingdom of Kandarin - only due to the aid of a man of a family most loyal to the House Vekon.

I still do not know why any of these people place their faith and trust in me. It would be foolish to think I deserve it. Some vague prophecies would suggest this is what I was meant to do. I was meant to be a King of Legend - yet I am no politician.

I am no politician. And that may be why people find it easier to trust me. I have to wonder where the other Vekon went wrong.. I cannot believe that my family was fit for such royalties. This should not happen again.

This is the very moment in which any Vekon male would go mad. This spot on the throne, this abundance of power and influence. My words have become law, and my will is a force that begets action. I could point a finger and cause nations to fall beneath armsman boots. The fact such things even cross my mind must mean something. This Crimson Throne is just another curse on the House Vekon.

I cannot lose my way. My will is the will of the people, and the words I speak are on behalf of them. I can do nothing more but than restore the Kingdom to her former glory, and protect her people.
KANDAR VICTA

Axel Vekon, the Eternal Emperor, the Archmage, the Lichslayer, of the Holy Kandarin Empire.

#
HouseVekon

03-May-2017 17:34:09

Geythir
Jun Member 2013

Geythir

Dearest Grandson,

If you are reading this then the worst has come to light and the truth has done away with me. There are too many things that have been left unsaid. And too many things we shouldn't of said. Our last meeting was near 5 years ago and I can still remember the look of pain in your eyes before you left my life for good.

The years of war had left me strained to the outside. The long years of quiet abuse left me too damaged. Too broken to be anything other than bitter.

I knew only one way of life and that was the next campaign. You were burdened to wait upon me.

You were doomed to wait upon an old man who should of loved you like a Father. But never could.

I am sorry. For failing you.

Myles

03-May-2017 18:55:59

Quick find code: 237-238-885-65830310 Back to Top