Forums

Veteran RPer Perspective on 42

Quick find code: 237-238-418-66045569

Torwulf
Nov Member 2023

Torwulf

Posts: 1,205 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm just shocked I see some people coming to all these conclusions /NOW/.

I was the same old veteran six years ago, after having been around since 2003-2004ish, ranting and rambling about the shift in the roleplay community, here's the hard truth. Many of you now who are speaking about the good times and what bad things caused the community to get where it is now, did the exact same thing to the even older community when you came in.

Nobody wanted to listen back then when a handful of us very very old roleplayers tried to warn people about what would happen with a certain continued behavior and here we are. Ultimately it's not entirely the fault of the community, it's also the state of the game and the state of MMORPG's in general.

08-Jan-2019 05:07:37 - Last edited on 08-Jan-2019 05:08:31 by Torwulf

Garth Vader
Nov Member 2014

Garth Vader

Posts: 2,982 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Another vet here offering his veiw, I was known as Samarodion and ran the wizards tower for a long time and while my rp was very isolated to the wizards tower i must say it does feel like a shame seeing the decay W42 finds itself in.

While SWTOR-RP on the Darth Malgus server is now my home and many i rped with on RS have followed me there w42 will always have a special point of fondness in my memory and it would be great to see it surge back to life.

So fingers crossed!

~Matt
"There is no Death, There is the Force..and I am its Master"

08-Jan-2019 16:03:26

Waychaeology

Waychaeology

Posts: 332 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Firstly; my apologies to Matt, Kex, Allie, Tom (for Lumbridge), and any others troubled by my sudden disappearance. It wasn't anyone in particular, but there wasn't enough activity, and SWTOR was beckoning. I had also become tired of a feeling of feeling forgotten about. (Rose knows what I mean by this)

As someone who did his best to become acquainted with and remain in the good graces of a large amount of the RP cliques, it was always saddening to see and hear about my friends and acquaintances split up into smaller and smaller groups - over OOC issues no less.

My experience in SWTOR RP has shown me that POCs are not the way to go. POCs create environments where the ruling clique lord over everyone else in their domain. And when they clash against each other, OOC toxicity incited by greed occurs. Not to mention it is breaking lore to erase figures such as King Roald, Lady Vanescula, Sir Tiffy Cashien, King Lathas, etc. While half of those names may not mean much in Runescape - it was impossible to erase the existence of figures like Darth Malgus, Darth Marr, Satele Shan, and the like. The RP guilds that did were largely ignored by the rest. Ironically, the best example of lorebreaking with POCs was with my origins in the Rovins. (Ask for me if you want to know more)
It is better to create RP groups and environments around what exists. Lore can be bent far enough for this to work. It promotes more originality and creativity over the POC formula.

CONTINUED
"But we can fight."

"Then we fight."

16-Jan-2019 23:41:30 - Last edited on 16-Jan-2019 23:42:25 by Waychaeology

Waychaeology

Waychaeology

Posts: 332 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My favorite way to create enjoyable roleplay is via grand story arcs. While these require a large amount of effort on the part of at least one person, they are well worth it. Many veterans here probably have fond memories of these RP events:
- The old conflict over Ardougne. (I was not around for this, I remember Ellen mentioning it)
- The Vampyre Invasion of Varrock
- Undead Invasion of Ardougne
- Lumbridge Crater
- Bar Crawls
- Stellybum's Story in which Gielinor was invaded (My personal favorite of this list. It was too bad people started not showing up, it had a lot of potential)

*I have left out small and/or private RPs from this list.

I have not played video games for some time due to joint pain. I currently cannot handle WASD movement or intensive clicking. RS Roleplay involves neither, so I will be browsing the forums to see what I can find. (Plus, I want to complete RS3's story content.) If you want to contact me, speak to Shawdow.

- Way
"But we can fight."

"Then we fight."

16-Jan-2019 23:49:07

Gersty

Gersty

Posts: 312 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Only large-scale thing I really felt welcome in was Conor's Camelot way back in whenever-the-hell. Y'all can blame me for why I'm not welcome but, in truth, my act here is a response rather than a cause. Pretty sure anyone who talks game now either got along with me or had no opinion of me before.

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm still here aside from the fact I really hope to see some new people to interact with that haven't been poisoned by what's left of the elitists one day.

Maybe...
"When the Lord made me, He made a ramblin' man..."

"... An Arizona Ranger, wouldn't be too long in town."

17-Jan-2019 22:02:03

iVeesaur

iVeesaur

Posts: 3,834 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dropping in. Hi. I'm Vee. I guess I'm kinda polarizing, but like, I was just an angsty middle schooler when I started. And like, I'm an adult now. W42 was something that I've been a part of growing up.
I think we've pretty much all said that the community has been dying for years now. It was kind of a meme, then became more of a real thing. But I don't think it's a bad thing. I think it's just kind of something that happens. There have been good and bad groups during the time, and I don't think anyone's really to blame. I think we're all just growing up and leaving.

However, I believe there is something to be said about the nature of W42. While my interactions with individuals have mostly been lovely and memory-making, the interactions between groups have been hellish at times. Like, a lot of times. I think it's interesting how many people have come together and participated in the grand story that this world has made.

I think everyone has memories here - someone once told me that you never really quit RP. You just take extended breaks. I could talk a lot about how good and bad it was, but I think it's better to just leave with this. Don't stop roleplaying. Like, all of you, really. Don't care how much you knew me or liked me. I'm just honoured to have enjoyed what was with all of you.

I just want everyone to have the ability to roleplay and not feel persecuted for who they are outside of roleplay. As people before me have said, it's an escape. It shouldn't stress you out or hurt you unless you want that kind of escape.

So uhh. Hope my rambling wasn't too frenetic. And I hope you all find somewhere lovely to tell stories. If you need to contact me, I'm around here and there.
~Vee

20-Jan-2019 00:05:21

Gersty

Gersty

Posts: 312 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Community is the way it is because the people who got bullied at school all day would come home and bully people online, take control of it to compensate for the lack of control they had in real life.

Basically Fortnite. Phsychology...
"When the Lord made me, He made a ramblin' man..."

"... An Arizona Ranger, wouldn't be too long in town."

20-Jan-2019 00:52:31

Teridax
Aug Member 2023

Teridax

Posts: 3,499 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I sit back and watch as everything I said would happen is happening. I like to think I have mental scars from world 42, I was treated in an awful manner by the regular playerbase. World 42 is/was a psychotic realm and honestly it doesn't deserve to recover. These foolish "popular kid" RPers can sulk around together for all I care, I tried to help and bring new RPers to world 42 and all of them had a terrible experience.

And besides even if W42 had even the slightest chance, it wouldn't matter as Runescape 3 is declining over time, due to OSRS being the true RS experience people want to play. Plenty of other games out there with nicer communities.

"Stop it mike"

13-Mar-2019 16:29:06

Quick find code: 237-238-418-66045569 Back to Top