Forums

Timescales

Quick find code: 237-238-251-65877335

Startraphell

Startraphell

Posts: 536 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So, a sudden revelation has had me absolutely livid today. Before I get to the topic of this thread, I would like to tell a story.

So, my character is in love with this other character, who she met recently OOCly. This character also got married recently OOCly. Now, I use the month-month timescale, so naturally, my character would still be relatively jealous. HOWEVER. I recently discovered that this other person uses the month-year timescale.

I've been playing my character to be kind of jealous. And she has made it known. Now that I know this fact about the timescale, it is horribly out of character for her. She would have likely gotten over her lovesickness after the first year. This makes it look otherwise.

Now, about the actual issue of timescales.

Can we please use this thread to announce which timescale people use?

These situations are a problem that nobody really has addressed, as the only way to know what timescale another person uses is to ask them. Well, this is kind of like that. What timescale do you use? And before people start joking around, I'm actually kinda serious about this. I want to make a thread where someone can go and check what the timescale for what person is.
"I am true divinity! I am the father of nations and peoples! I am the thing you merely pretend to be! I am God, and I am King, and you can never defeat me!" ~Galath, Infinity Blade

05-Feb-2017 04:06:16

BloxzorKBG

BloxzorKBG

Posts: 1,191 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Edit: Idk if I read your thread wrong, too tired to tell. Gonna redact my statement just in case I did lmao

While I had Cammy we had no set system of timescaling, I just usually waited a few months then aged everyone up a decade.
Kingdom of Hynafiaid
|
Bloxzor
|
"Faith without works is dead."
|
W41 Squad

05-Feb-2017 04:19:59 - Last edited on 05-Feb-2017 04:22:27 by BloxzorKBG

Startraphell

Startraphell

BloxzorKBG said :
Edit: Idk if I read your thread wrong, too tired to tell. Gonna redact my statement just in case I did lmao

While I had Cammy we had no set system of timescaling, I just usually waited a few months then aged everyone up a decade.

You got it right. :)
"I am true divinity! I am the father of nations and peoples! I am the thing you merely pretend to be! I am God, and I am King, and you can never defeat me!" ~Galath, Infinity Blade

05-Feb-2017 04:31:10

Quael
Jan Member 2018

Quael

Posts: 3,628 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I use the actual irl timescale/ In lore time scale. For example, right now it it is the 6th age year 5 of whatever the calendar in-game is. I use Irl days/ weeks, if not when a major rp event comes we just assume it's been a few weeks after a certain rp event.

I find the monthly scale kind of dumb as a person who doesn't follow it would probably meet the same ooc rper who is rping as the great great great son of a friend of his, while the said person hasn't even aged yet.
Duke of Fort Forinthry
Interested in role-play? check out: The Quest Collective

05-Feb-2017 04:32:08 - Last edited on 05-Feb-2017 04:33:18 by Quael

Lady Airlea
Mar Member 2011

Lady Airlea

Posts: 5,379 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I use one month one year. Always have, because this is what the people I RP with tend to use and is most convenient for family RP. It allows a chance tk actually see the kids grow up and age, rather than just time skip them.
ª*
The One True Nat
ª*

05-Feb-2017 04:48:28

Doorn0bDonki

Doorn0bDonki

Posts: 2,112 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You can't really standardize that. Different Roleplayers are going to end up doing different things and different amounts of things with their characters. While you might have had only four sessions with a character in that time I might have rolled through five years of stuff with a certain character who interacted with your character durring your first session. You just have to work that out with people out of character and adjust on the fly, retconning helps. Retcons are your friends kids Was apart of HB3K and RADBAD. Please google that last one, I want it to be seen.

05-Feb-2017 04:49:25

RiDaku
Oct Member 2012

RiDaku

Posts: 6,003 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The way I do it, which works well and doesn't clash with other peoples' timescales, is that everybody ages differently. Now that sounds absolutely ridiculous but think it over. Magic is so overabundant on Gielinor, that at this very moment you can step outside and sink ankle-deep in to an overflow of a god's death-juices. That's going to have an effect on people, and in one way it did - Everybody ages slower or faster than what we're used to here on Earth, and it's different for everybody. It explains how, say, a child born to a noble family grows up fit and ready to lead the kingdom at the ripe age of 20 while his mom, who just gave birth to him 3 ooc months ago, isn't even a whole 5 years older than she was when she birthed him.

This Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Theory allows Vyres to exist without having their age scale back in to the thousands of years, or scale forwards in to the thousands of years, meanwhile we're still going through the motions of a wedding happening in Asgarnia. The best part is you don't need to explain who's aging fast and who's aging slow, because it can go either way. Nobody has a sense of aging anymore, nobody can say "well i age normally, you're the weird one" because then their best-friend-turned-grandmother comes out saying "i've lived a full life and you're still 16, catherine!".

tldr timescale is stupid, everybody ages different, time is relative, easy solution.
The Sicarius |
They think they are "the many", and I "the few". They think this gives them the right to walk over me.

Want to Role-Play? Click Here!

05-Feb-2017 05:04:43

Startraphell

Startraphell

Doorn0bDonki said :
You can't really standardize that. Different Roleplayers are going to end up doing different things and different amounts of things with their characters. While you might have had only four sessions with a character in that time I might have rolled through five years of stuff with a certain character who interacted with your character durring your first session. You just have to work that out with people out of character and adjust on the fly, retconning helps. Retcons are your friends kids

Not trying to standardize. I'm trying to make sort of a phone book of who uses what.

05-Feb-2017 05:04:48

Quick find code: 237-238-251-65877335 Back to Top