Forums

Timescales

Quick find code: 237-238-251-65877335

DMMetalaane

DMMetalaane

Posts: 2,905 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A day is a day is a day. I have no inherent problem with sped up time, if it made sense in universe. I care more for what makes sense than opportunities for roleplay. I might have even liked timescaling before the Sixth Age, too, but now Jagex has finally acknowledged a time flow, which happens to roughly be concurrent to the real world's.

But whatever you'll do is okay with me. I've gravitated toward characters that don't have to deal with aging, and that takes care of the rest. My 20 year old mind loses track of days just by working swing shifts. Immortals don't really have 9-5 jobs around here. You could probably literally kick a 1,000 year old something fellow into next week and they wouldn't notice.

"Weeeeellll I haven't seen you in a minute."

"Maddy, it's been five years!"

"Oh. My b."
Save yourself.
Savior self.

06-Feb-2017 08:44:51

Rexost

Rexost

Posts: 1,182 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I work off of the RSTS (Rex Standard Time Scale) where one year in real life is sixteen minutes and fourteen seconds in game.

I've mostly played a character relatively unaffected by the flow of time, as in Rex. His immortality was used to explain why he's never batted an eye about helping deliver children one week and fighting alongside them the next. Time is relative, as its been stated before.

My philosophy for 42 has always been the same over the many years I've played:

Have fun. Its just a game.
Edgar
=/=
Rex
=/=
Rend

#PraiseTuffty

06-Feb-2017 09:06:47

Vekon

Vekon

Posts: 2,037 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Rexost said :
Have fun. Its just a game.

Except having an element of realism is necessary for a lot of people.

Saying "just a game" doesn't change the fact that certain elements matter when creating stories and sharing them between people. For a lot of people, time is one of those things, just as abiding by lore and at least trying to make a bit of sense in the world, fantasy or otherwise. Those factors are important to many role-players, and it builds on them having fun and enjoying themselves.

But to stay on topic, I age my characters as I personally see fit. Mostly based on key events and plots that advance my characters and the stories they're tied to. Sort of like how Jagex handles advancing Ages in RuneScape. That isn't to say I won't gradually age my character over time, though.
KANDAR VICTA

Axel Vekon, the Eternal Emperor, the Archmage, the Lichslayer, of the Holy Kandarin Empire.

#
HouseVekon

06-Feb-2017 10:28:46

Quick find code: 237-238-251-65877335 Back to Top