Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

bigpapa663

bigpapa663

Posts: 1,797 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
[/quote] no lol. they look the exact same as those Cornish Pasties FiFi La Frou mentioned. but theyre filled with different things and made different i think[/quote]

Ohh had to look up Cornish Pasties but looks delicious. That could my new thing to try.

As for the name, I'm a guy! And call me whatever you like! Lot's of people have been calling me simply "F" recently but I like #guy and numbers is fine too!

13-Jan-2017 20:27:43

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't think the English tend to be precious about their food and are more than happy to incorporate and adapt other cuisines.

The way we eat has changed a lot; there are a lot of foods my mum regarded as 'foreign' which my children would think are 'normal'. I don't think my mum ever ate anything with garlic in and all rice was definitely regarded as foreign - the exception being 'pudding rice', which was perfectly OK!

Cornish pasties and other pasties are rather tasty. I always liked the big thick crust around the end, although that was designed to be thrown away.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

14-Jan-2017 11:42:43

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That probably sums us up nicely! We do love our Beer with a side-serving of convenient-to-eat calories :D

I can't think of a dish that would specifically identify as 'British' in the same way that (for instance) schnitzel is redolent of Austria. I daresay other countries have their 'fish & chips' so it's hardly Brit-specific.

The French call us (amongst other things) the Rost Bifs ... take out their accent and that's Roast Beefs. Not sure why, I'm pretty sure other nationalities roast their beef too. Maybe it's our penchant for over-cooking it. Or our lack of imagination in chopping it up, slapping a sauce on it and calling it something entirely different.

I'll be doing the hoovering whilst trying to think of a foodstuff that is quintessentially 'British'.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

14-Jan-2017 11:47:01

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Not so keen on jellied eels, but I would say they are definitely British.

Fish and chips eaten out of yesterday's newspapers whilst sitting in a shelter, on a windy, rainy pebble beach in the summer.

Sandwiches - we did invent them.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

14-Jan-2017 12:18:19 - Last edited on 14-Jan-2017 12:22:19 by Bernadette

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top