Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Erehk said :
Oh yeah that's right lol, I forgot that Mother's Day was on a different day in the UK this year. I wonder why, since Father's Day will be on the same day for both the UK and the USA. :P

Mother's Day here is really Mothering Sunday, which was sort of religious and traditionally when domestic servants were allowed a day off to visit their Mothers. That is why it keeps moving around the calendar, as it is dependent on when Easter Sunday is scheduled. It has evolved over the years into the commercial enterprise that it is now.

As far as I can tell, Father's Day is an American import - it probably seemed a good commercial opportunity for shops in the dead zone of June.

It is not something I recall celebrating when I was younger.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

10-May-2016 15:07:23 - Last edited on 10-May-2016 15:08:27 by Bernadette

Lady Deluxe

Lady Deluxe

Posts: 44,440 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
On mothers day this year, took my boys to the pool - they spent a lot of time jumping of the diving boards - I am trying to convice my eight year old to jump of the next highest one and have been for the last several months or so... but he just can't do it... maybe one day. I believe my 6 year old could do it easy, but I worry he can't swim back to edge safely, so I wont allow him just yet, not until he's a stronger swimmer.

It was a fun day - did nothing special for me tho :)

10-May-2016 19:31:22

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Congratulations, Wilf*
** Weazel is currently training to do tanker work as it pays better than regular HGV (and he's sick of working for Morrisons who are a total bunch of muppets).

He's doing the core course atm, then he'll have to do several more modules depending on what hazardous chemical he fancies driving around, lol. He quite fancies doing the airplane refuelling at Gatwick (not a bad commute from here) but delivering to petrol stations is more lucrative, apparently.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

11-May-2016 10:27:26

Lady Deluxe

Lady Deluxe

Posts: 44,440 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Congratulations, Wilf*
** Weazel is currently training to do tanker work as it pays better than regular HGV (and he's sick of working for Morrisons who are a total bunch of muppets).

He's doing the core course atm, then he'll have to do several more modules depending on what hazardous chemical he fancies driving around, lol. He quite fancies doing the airplane refuelling at Gatwick (not a bad commute from here) but delivering to petrol stations is more lucrative, apparently.
He's either a younger man or you guys retire very late in life?

11-May-2016 16:39:35

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top