Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm breaking the law then. When I get one in the catch cage, the Weazlet is despatched to the local Country Park to release it.

I don't have any way of killing one humanely so that's the only option. At least there's multiple acres of woods and countryside for them to do their squirrelly-thing without being a nuisance.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

26-Mar-2015 11:36:45

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Taking them far away to continue to do squirrely things seems a more kindly thing to do with them.

A school near us had encounters with a purple squirrel they called Pete. They never did find out what caused the odd colouring.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

26-Mar-2015 14:17:17

Icy Spring

Icy Spring

Posts: 3,248 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Apparently all you need is a burlap bag to use the humane "cranial dispatch" technique:

1. Place a Hessian sack tightly over the trap entrance taking care not to leave any gaps. Release the trap gate to allow the animal to move into the trap. At all times care should be taken not to handle the animal as there is a high risk of being scratched or bitten; thick leather work gloves will help avoid this.

2. Once the squirrel has entered the sack, twist the sack closed to secure it.

3. Ensure that the squirrel is facing into one of the corners and place your foot to the side of the squirrel to hold it in position.

Once the head is located, it is vital that the squirrel is killed as quickly and humanely as
possible. Blows should be made to the back of the head with a solid implement such as a
fishing priest. Place the sack on hard flat ground, a stone or tree stump to ensure the blow is
effective.

26-Mar-2015 16:07:17

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Errr .... in the unlikely event I ever see one and feel the need to trap it, I think I will take it on a little roadtrip to somewhere more suitable for it to play nibblesticks.

A fishing priest sounds intriguing. I have met plenty of drinking and/or praying priests, but none were fishing at the time, except perhaps for my soul.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

26-Mar-2015 16:22:52

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
One of our dogs catches them now and again which is enough of a control for me. I've had to kill animals with blows to the back of the neck and i can't say it was a particularly pleasant experience, but it was better than a drawn out death I suppose.

26-Mar-2015 20:09:29

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't really fancy attempting to bash something to death with a heavy object, to be honest.
What if I mis-aimed and just dealt it a non-lethal but agonizing blow. Possibly several times. No, no. That would be unutterably cruel.

If I had a gun, and were adept with it, then an instant death would be an acceptable form of despatch for nuisance vermin (to me, I doubt the vermin would agree). Anything less than instant would not be acceptable.

I'll just have to continue to be an outlaw and serial criminal, and release them into a non-populated area.

I'm trusting Jagex not to release my identity to the Authorities.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

27-Mar-2015 15:19:58

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top