Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Shiavui

Shiavui

Posts: 50,740 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hadnt heard that. I do remember reading about beer that is bottled in a dead squirrel.

Markiv13 said :
man sometimes I'd make like a 100 posts a day. glad I don't do that anymore...

Same. Although I probably still would, if the forums were more active, and perhaps if I were still actively playing RuneScape.

24-Mar-2015 11:19:22 - Last edited on 24-Mar-2015 11:21:19 by Shiavui

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Shiavui said :
The fur remains. Like pulp in Orange juice.

That's gruesome. And it's probably illegal to make alcoholic beverages out of woodchucks anyway.

Although I'm sure I read somewhere that the good folk of Somerset dump a dead squirrel into cider vats, for some arcane reason. Just about the only useful purpose possible for the verminous little beasts.

That sounds rather horrid - I think I'll give Somerset Cider a miss from now on.

Ps
I rather like squirrels. Do you dislike all squirrels, or just the American import ones?
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

24-Mar-2015 13:53:41

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
They're all quite cute to look at, although I think the native Red is cuter.

But essentially they are rats with fuzzy tails (hence the UK government regarding them officially as vermin, along with rats).

If they stay in the countryside and do their thing then I wouldn't pay much attention to them, but because they are such a great nuisance, and very destructive at times, in the garden (and sometimes inside peoples' homes), I actually dislike them.

For instance, last weekend I put out some new strings of small, decorative solar lights over a couple of rose arches and, as usual, two were chewed through. I can't see the attraction for squirrels, but munch away they do. Cost to me: £50. And the year has barely begun. :@
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

24-Mar-2015 16:47:35

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Grey Squirrel? Nope.

I like to see squirrels but I'm not bothered if I see a dead one. They do predate birds nest but then again so do red squirrels and if reds came back to the numbers of greys now i'd say the same of them.

24-Mar-2015 20:10:57

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Like most people in the UK, I can't shoot and don't have a gun! Using a BB gun would not be allowed as it would be too close to other peoples' homes and/or public rights of way. In any case, I am not a fan of BB guns or rifles in any shape or form as I've heard they are notoriously feeble except at close distance.

I don't like squirrels but wouldn't want to wound one and have it take days dying in pain.

I've got a trap cage and have caught several over the last few years but it's not had any impact on the numbers of local invaders.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

25-Mar-2015 00:15:21

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I probably don't mind squirrels so much because it is rare to see one where we are - never had one nibble an expensive cable or steal from the bird feeders.

I must admit I wouldn't care to harm one - can they be relocated if you do catch them?

We have more of a fox problem - they are not allowed to be relocated if they are caught.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

25-Mar-2015 21:16:00

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Grey squirrels cannot be relocated either. If you catch one it is an offense to then release it into the wild and you are required to kill it.

They are classed as an invasive species by the wildlife and countryside act.

25-Mar-2015 21:43:18 - Last edited on 25-Mar-2015 21:44:57 by Wilf

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top