Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Dragonite Lv

Dragonite Lv

Posts: 26 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello Runescapers! :D Whilst I'm not exactly new to RS altogether (was addicted as a young teen in the earlier 2000s), I am new to this "RS3" if that's what it's called - better graphics, more features etc. At first I was reluctant to rejoin because I missed the familiarity of what is now Old School Runescape, but I actually prefer RS3 now. It really is a fantastic game as a whole, that cannot be denied. I just felt like I should introduce myself before I butt in with a question. P.S. Please excuse my bad display avatar picture. :P

So! Without further ado, here's the question: what should I study at uni? I'm really, really, really stuck on this. I've given it more than enough thought but I just still don't know. I've applied to study Zoology but I don't necessarily want a career relating to it. I'm not even sure which career I want. I have had quite a strong interest in games since being introduced to Pokemon on the Game Boy Advance SP (Fire Red was the best), The Sims for PC and PS2 (Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet & Clank, Gallop Racer 2, GTA etc). So this makes me feel that maybe I would enjoy a career in gaming. I'm not an outgoing person at all, but I think I am easy to get along with if that makes sense. I don't like parties and big crowds, but as an introvert I adore deep conversations relating to topics of mutual interest. But I'm scared that I'll find it boring, and I don't really know exactly what each possible career in gaming involves.
Could anyone here provide a really quick (one/two sentence long worth) explanation for some gaming careers? Or maybe someone here has/is studying a game-related degree? I've considered game design and development but one thing I'm petrified of is presentations and I'm guessing that would come into play with these roles.

The reason I'm not sure about Zoology is because I tried a Foundation Degree in an animal-related subject but found it boring. However, I did enjoy my Level 3 BTEC in animal-related subjects. I'm so confused!

06-Dec-2014 19:34:56

Dragonite Lv

Dragonite Lv

Wilf said :
Have you looked at apprenticeships in those areas? I'd recommend looking in to them from both sections.

I was on the look-out throughout May/June/July and some of August, but in all honesty I just rely on email alerts rather than spending time actively looking now that I have a full-time job. I did stumble across an internship opportunity from Jagex as an Old School Runescape Junior QA Tester, but of course you have to be studying something of relevance and actually feel certain that the role is a career you're striving towards (which is fair enough). If I don't get accepted into this Zoology degree, apprenticeships are definitely a great idea for something to actively search for. Thanks for the advice! ^_^

06-Dec-2014 20:30:43

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You never know what might turn up if you look!

Browse the Countryside jobs service as they often have stuff that is applicable to zoology if I remember (UK)

My friend applied to a one year placement for a job studying turtles in the Seychelles and got it and then offered him a job :O

06-Dec-2014 20:39:10 - Last edited on 06-Dec-2014 20:49:46 by Wilf

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
With regard to careers in gaming, have you looked at the Jagex corporate site? It has lots of info and you can see the qualifications and experience required for various positions.

You may have just been unlucky with your foundation course. Have an in depth look at all the Zoology courses available, they are bound to vary in their content and what experience they can offer you.

Quite often just having a degree opens doors to unrelated jobs. You could also look for opportunities at Uni to get into some aspect of gaming / coding as an additional activity.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

06-Dec-2014 22:02:29

Dragonite Lv

Dragonite Lv

Bernadette said :
With regard to careers in gaming, have you looked at the Jagex corporate site? It has lots of info and you can see the qualifications and experience required for various positions.

You may have just been unlucky with your foundation course. Have an in depth look at all the Zoology courses available, they are bound to vary in their content and what experience they can offer you.

Quite often just having a degree opens doors to unrelated jobs. You could also look for opportunities at Uni to get into some aspect of gaming / coding as an additional activity.

I am just beginning to explore the site now; it's already looking cool considering the woman in the first image that shows is wearing a Guns N' Roses tee! Thanks for the recommendation of the site! I have been studying HTML & CSS on-line but I think I've been at a standstill progress-wise at 70% for weeks haha; I'm never sure if it's purely the motivation I'm lacking or perhaps required energy too (my job takes a lot out of me but more-so physical than mental). That's a neat idea which I will definitely consider - to learn more about coding/gaming as a hobby activity. Thanks again!

07-Dec-2014 03:37:34

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top