Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Digital copies are not as nice as having the book in your hand, and then when you get all of them they look good on your bookshelf.

Thought it might have been :P

Should have sacrificed more children :P

06-Sep-2014 21:51:44 - Last edited on 06-Sep-2014 21:53:18 by Wilf

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Good on the ole lad!

I think you have to re-apply for your Licence every 5(?) years after the age of 70. Might be annually now, and have a health check too, but I'm not sure as I'm not quite at that stage yet!

I'm not entirely sure why people have a tendency to mock old people who drive. After all, those pathetic bunches of dead flowers you see tied to trees and lamp-posts are always for young people who have managed to kill themselves whilst driving on an empty road.

I know this, because I see their "Lad dies on A2 in late night horror crash" stories in the local newspaper all the time ~ a few days later a floral tribute appears on yet another piece of road furniture.

07-Sep-2014 12:37:39

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
He's still fairly active. He is a local historian going back to the industrial revolution having written small books on the big mill owning family and then the history of the villages that built up as a result of the mills again with focus on various hings such as the changing array of shops up to the present day. He has an old weaving cottage that he's filled with various items and information that he's acquired throughout the years including a fully working loom all at his own cost with donations taken on open days. When he dies the amount of local knowledge that will be lost will be immense.

He knows I like birdwatching so he's told me of all the places he used to go as a child getting eggs. How he regrets doing so when he's seen the decline off the birds that used to be present every year cuckoos were common as were corn crakes nightingales tree sparrows turtle doves pretty much most birds that are now in rapid decline.

He once asked the headmaster if they were doing wrong taking eggs, and the headmaster said if there was 5 taking one would be ok but if there was one or two it wouldn't be good. But like he said when he was with a few friends and they took one each it decimated the nest.

One of the eggs they all wanted was a rooks egg. There was and still is a substantial colony here, but to get them you'd need to climb into the tree tops, but one year there was one fairly low down that could be reached. They got a friend who was from a poorer family (that's just how it was, they used him to test the ice thickness in winter as well...) to go up and get it, but the local bobby was watching them and when he came down he went over and said "thas a grand lad" and patted him on the head.

Of course when climbing the tree the safest place for the egg was under his hat, lol.

07-Sep-2014 12:41:31 - Last edited on 07-Sep-2014 13:59:35 by Wilf

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top