Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oooo. That's really cool.

When I was like 10 or 11 I really wanted to learn German, so I had like a bunch of those CD sets that you got back then.

I actually got to where I was fairly fluent reading it (I used to play rs on the German servers) but I could never speak or write a word of it. In later life I went back to it and got to where I could understand the gist of what Amish people were saying. Mostly from some keywords. Though a good deal of it was gibberish still.

For context: I used to ride a bus to and from school when I lived in Michigan. The bus system there worked sort of like a carpool taxi almost. Idk what the proper term would be for it. Anyhow, we had a group of Amish guys we would pick up and drop off while I was on the bus and they'd have their conversations in some form of German if they weren't speaking to us. I only purposely started eavesdropping when I overheard them talking about me. Haha

More recently I wanted to try and learn Norwegian (even if only because the sentence structure is similar to English) but I haven't been super successful.

Scheiße :c
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

15-May-2021 11:29:42

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,892 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As a Dane I've had German classes throughout my life, but was never really interested in learning it... :O
Had some Spanish classses which were a bit more exciting, but quit after the basics. :P
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

15-May-2021 11:36:23

CM Arbor

CM Arbor

Local Moderator Posts: 1,945 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Brigantia said :
That's fair.

I'm American so I kinda got screwed :L

Sorry to hear that, but kudos to you for trying! German and Norwegian both sound pretty cool to me. Are you not taught extra languages in the US? I figured you would be taught Spanish as a second language in school.

15-May-2021 18:53:31 - Last edited on 15-May-2021 18:53:40 by CM Arbor

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It kind of depends on where you're at. I didn't spend much time in the public school system so I don't have much experience there. From what I've seen though, they do offer languages (and languages are sometimes required in high school in the US) but Spanish is the most popular/commonly offered one.

However, from what I hear, they only teach Spain's Spanish, which is (from what I understand) different to the Spanish (Mexican) typically spoken in the US. I don't know if that's changed.

Back when I was in the school system, forever ago, I did sign up for German language classes but I didn't end up going to high school at the time. It would have been cool, but high school language classes don't really teach you enough to be functional or pass in the language you're trying to learn.
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

15-May-2021 19:09:12

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In my son's school he had to choose one language out of a list, I believe the Maori language was included which is our native language, he chose German. I found out a few weeks ago at parent teacher meeting they only do the chosen language for half the year, the second half he has to take the Maori language, all students do. When I met the German teacher he hopes my son takes up German language next year. So it's only compulsory for the first year of college (high school).
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

16-May-2021 03:36:38

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I was able to learn a lot of languages and took 2 years of Spanish and French.

Cbf to remember most of it though, lmao. Now I have a long list of programming languages I know..
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

16-May-2021 03:51:21

Dadizar
Oct Member 2005

Dadizar

Posts: 5,902 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My wife and i both had 4 years of Spanish in high school. In our senior year we read Don Quixote in Spanish. Today we remember little of the language. My favorite Spanish expression is, "no me gustan albóndigas y arroz".

On a brighter note, we met because of Spanish. We were both officers in the high school Spanish club.

Today is our 35th wedding anniversary!
§¤*
What love we've given, we'll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity. - Leo Buscaglia
»¤§

17-May-2021 10:06:27

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top