Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Do you use them at all - as in for target shooting/hunting/other recreational uses?

I'm assuming they are kept for personal and home defence purposes primarily?

And do you think you could actually shoot a person, like, close-up as opposed to marksmanship from a distance?

Obv you don't have to respond to the questions and it's not a 'trap' or any sort of judgement. I am, genuinely, curious - probably because I live in a country which makes gun ownership extremely difficult (if not outright illegal) and for whom even just seeing a gun is something of a novelty.

In the UK we are actively discouraged from protecting ourselves/our homes from attack. If I were to whack a burglar over the head with a lump of wood, I would be the one facing criminal charges. Some bollocks about "unnecessary force". I wouldn't care though I'd still whack the bastard as hard as I could.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

14-Jan-2021 13:51:03

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I shot the pistol pictured at a gun range. I was too scared to shoot the AR (the noise from the AR shakes your whole body even when you aren't the one shooting it). I want to learn how to shoot the AR soley as scare tactic for any invader in my house...because let's face it, if a home invader sees someome with such a gun, chances are they are going to run. It is also a binary trigger, just in case the scare tactic doesn't work. I would obviously always reach for the pistol first, though.

I occasionally take the rifle with a scope out for hunting, but never actually shot it (I shot my dad's 30/30 before so I know how to handle a rifle). I have no real interest in the shotgun.

I keep the pistol in a mobile safe in my room for defensive purposes. Yes, I believe I could shoot someone in my own house as It isn't just me that I have to worry about. Before my kid, I would have said that I wouldn't be capable of shooting someone, though. It is just me and her a lot of nights and with the riots and recent string of break-ins... I just want to be prepared.

I live in a state with "castle" laws and I should definitely mention that guns are my husband's hobby - not mine.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

14-Jan-2021 14:09:23 - Last edited on 14-Jan-2021 14:11:52 by Averia Light

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Aye, I reckon a blast of ammo up into the air from the AR would send all but the most crazy of criminals running back to whatever hole they crawled out of.

If we had guns here I'm pretty sure I'd have no qualms at shooting a home invader at close quarters. But then, if I had one then most likely s/he would also have one .... and so it goes.

Here, we tend to mostly damage people by way of sticking knives into one another.
Rather primitive and the younger/stronger aggressor definitely would have the upper hand.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. It always interests me to hear how people from other countries differ so much from what I'm used to.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

14-Jan-2021 14:21:25

Averia Light

Averia Light

Ehh it is alright. I understand why there are issues surrounding them, but since the option of running is effectively taken away with a 40 lb toddler, the other option is to fight. And, really, I don't want to kill anyone. Ideally, if I was stuck in a home invasion situation, I would hope they would see a gun and run away...but I also feel like I have to know how to use it just in case they don't run. And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

14-Jan-2021 14:43:05

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,892 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Some years back was assistant teacher for our school's hunting classes, managed to get a good handful chaps their cert. That was the time of my life. I hope to get back to the country one day and exercise my dreams again. Back here at the city there's no hope for a hunter. :| Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

14-Jan-2021 14:48:52

Averia Light

Averia Light

There is always retirement.

I plan on giving my house in the city to my kid and moving to a specific lake up north in a rather desolate area, lol. Not for hunting, but I am a Native and that lake is where my soul belongs. My husband will definitely use it for hunting and I would probably pull fish out of the lake, filet them and eat them. Also, I've always wanted a big greenhouse to grow my own food year round (I live in Michigan). I pretty much want the closest thing to living off the land while still enjoying the basic privileges of a civilized society.

Maybe with the rise of remote work, we both can achieve our dreams sooner than retirement though.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

14-Jan-2021 16:26:47 - Last edited on 14-Jan-2021 16:33:06 by Averia Light

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,892 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh, I'm not anywhere close to retirement. :P

Sounds like a lovely place. I stayed by the shore and farms, wasn't too bad either!
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

14-Jan-2021 16:31:49

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top