Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,589 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
How as everyone's bonfire night?

Surprisingly quiet round here, it was noisier the night before when someone decided that letting rockets off at 2am was a good idea >.<
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

06-Nov-2019 09:54:19

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Spent mostly on the sofa buried under terrified dogs with the TV blaring to try to drown out the noise a little bit.

The farmer down the road puts his cattle into the big barn around this time of year, at night, but he doesn't have enough space for the sheep - they have to stay outside. Last year two dropped dead (sheep are really not very robust creatures under stress).

I gotta say it - I fucking hate fireworks.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

06-Nov-2019 12:12:09

Shiavui

Shiavui

Posts: 50,740 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Eid used to be my most disliked event when I lived in a densely populated Muslim area, but now that I've relocated it's Guy Fawkes Night as Eid celebrations can't be heard from here. They are both comparable on noise and nuisance factors.

06-Nov-2019 18:56:38

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Forum Moderator Posts: 32,973 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Rooh said :

Surprisingly quiet round here, it was noisier the night before when someone decided that letting rockets off at 2am was a good idea >.<

Canada or at least Toronto/Ontario doesn't really celebrate it is the impression I get lol.

Other than an organised British group going to a bonfire a few hours outside of the city, radio silence on the whole thing :P
Joel

Need support? Support Centre | Forum Help

06-Nov-2019 19:16:13

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't hate fireworks - I prefer public displays over private ones. Sadly there are a lot of people that don't handle fireworks safely or have no regard to others or animals.

I haven't brought fireworks for a good 25 plus year, I don't like handling them - I have a fear of them I suppose - I opted for public displays.

I remember with my older (late) son when he had an after school job as a young teen he was at the age where he and his friends were legally allowed to buy them <- this freaked me out, teens with fireworks :@ Anyway my son and his mates used to build there own firebombs out of the ones they brought. Other fireworks they would shoot each other with them (not at my place I tell you now) in a team battle type game - my son would come home and tell me about it - gosh it made me so mad, I constantly told him of the dangers and my disapproval - Anyway in one of the battles, the firework hit his eye - he was very lucky he didn't lose an eye - he had to wear a patch for gosh knows how long.

This year I didn't notice that many fireworks going off - which was nice. I am in two minds about our country banning them for public use, as I remember when I was a child and my Grandma would drop off a packet or two of fireworks for us and it was so much fun and enjoyment, I remember that feeling you get when you are a child <- it's nice for other children to experience this, it's a shame there are those that ruin for others.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

06-Nov-2019 19:25:16

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Joel said :
Rooh said :

Canada or at least Toronto/Ontario doesn't really celebrate it is the impression I get lol.

Other than an organised British group going to a bonfire a few hours outside of the city, radio silence on the whole thing :P

I've actually never heard of it, no! What's the story behind it?
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

06-Nov-2019 20:42:11

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"Guy (Guido) Fawkes was part of the Gunpowder plot in 1605. He wanted to blow up King James I and his government.

This was because of religion. England was a Protestant country and the plotters were Catholic. They wanted England to be Catholic again, which they thought they could do if they killed King James I and his ministers.

So, Fawkes and his group put 36 barrels of gunpowder in cellars underneath the Houses of Parliament in London, ready to set off a massive explosion.

However, one member of Fawkes' group sent a letter to his friend who worked in Parliament, warning him to stay away on 5 November.

The King's supporters got hold of the letter and the plot was rumbled!

Guards broke into the cellars where the gunpowder plotters were waiting. They were arrested and executed."

And ever since then people have been setting off explosions on 5th November, plus the weekend before and the weekend after usually because they have got more money than brain cells.

Traditionally a bonfire is also built and a mannequin is burnt on it - a Guy - years ago people used to stuff a cage full of cats inside the mannequin so it'd scream realistically as it was being burnt :|
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

07-Nov-2019 00:09:51 - Last edited on 07-Nov-2019 00:10:16 by FiFi LaFeles

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top