Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CM Nick said :
Niyah said :
It just looks like chips, cheese and gravy, except we don't call it Poutine here.

Yep that's essentially what it is. Just usually a specific type of cheese... at least here in Quebec where they're very serious about it. Elsewhere I've seen restaurants skimp on quality and use shredded cheese. The curds are what make it so delicious!
Ontario takes it's poutine seriously as well. It's all about the curds. ^_^

You can tell a good cheese curd by the squeak it makes when you bite it.

FiFi LaFeles said :
I had to google poutine as well. Then I had to google cheese curds.

*moist pieces of curdled milk"

I felt ill.
If you're a cheese fan, you need to try fresh cheese curds.

Cheese curds are basically what cheese is made of, before they are formed into shapes and aged. They're so good. If you're a cheese fan, I highly encourage you to try some fresh cheese curds. Or try them melted. They melt so much better than shredded cheese.
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

12-Jun-2019 21:00:27

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
C a z said :
Cheese curds are just cottage cheese arent they?

Interestingly, I had to Google this to figure out why they're different, and I ended up learning a lot! They're similar in ways, but have very different tastes and textures...

"Cheese curds are made from fresh pasteurized milk in the process of creating cheese when bacterial culture and rennet are added to clot the milk. After the milk clots it is then cut into cubes; the result is a mixture of whey and curd. This mixture is then cooked and pressed to release the whey from the curd, creating the final product of cheese curd."

vs.

"Cottage Cheese is made not by pressing the cheese but by draining it, which allows some of the whey to stay which keeps the curds loose. An important step in the manufacturing process distinguishing cottage cheese from other fresh cheeses is the adding of a "dressing", usually cream, to the curd grains, which is responsible for most of the taste of the product."
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

12-Jun-2019 22:04:12

C a z
Jul Member 2005

C a z

Posts: 4,261 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CM Nick said :
C a z said :

Interestingly, I had to Google this to figure out why they're different, and I ended up learning a lot! They're similar in ways, but have very different tastes and textures...

"Cheese curds are made from fresh pasteurized milk in the process of creating cheese when bacterial culture and rennet are added to clot the milk. After the milk clots it is then cut into cubes; the result is a mixture of whey and curd. This mixture is then cooked and pressed to release the whey from the curd, creating the final product of cheese curd."

vs.

"Cottage Cheese is made not by pressing the cheese but by draining it, which allows some of the whey to stay which keeps the curds loose. An important step in the manufacturing process distinguishing cottage cheese from other fresh cheeses is the adding of a "dressing", usually cream, to the curd grains, which is responsible for most of the taste of the product."

Ahh i see so cottage cheese still has the whey in it as apposed to cheese curds which have had the whey pressed out of them. I know ive just repeated your info but that was just so it sank it lol.
Remember Caz. Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

12-Jun-2019 23:54:11

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
C a z said :
CM Nick said :
C a z said :

vs.

Ahh i see so cottage cheese still has the whey in it as apposed to cheese curds which have had the whey pressed out of them. I know ive just repeated your info but that was just so it sank it lol.

Ahaha, no I'm glad you did, because that was my takeaway from it but I wasn't 100% sure, but if that's where you arrived as well, I'd say there's a good chance we both understand it ;)
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

13-Jun-2019 00:16:56 - Last edited on 13-Jun-2019 00:17:40 by CM Nick

The contents of this message have been hidden.

13-Jun-2019 00:16:56

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cheese curds are nothing like cottage cheese.

They're not a wet, squishy cheese.

The curds in cottage cheese are curd granules, not full curds, and they add liquids to cottage cheese to make it more... um... cottagey.

Good cheese curds are large chunks of amazing cheese that squeaks when you eat it. They are firm, but soft, chunks of cheese. Think of a really fresh mozzarella ball. It's that type of cheese, but way better.

Cheese curds:

I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

13-Jun-2019 04:36:51 - Last edited on 13-Jun-2019 06:28:55 by NexOrigin

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top