Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jakey Boy said :
I've always been curious why people eat chicken sashimi in Japan. Is it just because they source their chickens from farms that use different practices and are more clean?

It's kind of messed up that here in Canada we have to cook chicken (if you eat animals, that is). Maybe we should try to hold our farmers to decent standards?
"In Japan, where the dish is more popular, the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare advised restaurants in June 2016 to "re-evaluate raw and half-raw chicken menus," according to The Asahi Shimbun, a Japanese newspaper. The ministry urged restaurants to cook chicken to an internal temperature of 75 degrees Celsius (167 degrees Fahrenheit).

The recommendation from the ministry came after more than 800 people said they were sickened several months earlier after eating chicken sashimi and chicken "sushi" rolls, The Asahi Shimbun reported."

https://www.livescience.com/60343-chicken-sashimi-salmonella-campylobacter.html
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

04-Jun-2019 17:32:24

Jakey Boy
Sep Member 2022

Jakey Boy

Posts: 8,238 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NexOrigin said :
Jakey Boy said :
I've always been curious why people eat chicken sashimi in Japan. Is it just because they source their chickens from farms that use different practices and are more clean?

It's kind of messed up that here in Canada we have to cook chicken (if you eat animals, that is). Maybe we should try to hold our farmers to decent standards?
"In Japan, where the dish is more popular, the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare advised restaurants in June 2016 to "re-evaluate raw and half-raw chicken menus," according to The Asahi Shimbun, a Japanese newspaper. The ministry urged restaurants to cook chicken to an internal temperature of 75 degrees Celsius (167 degrees Fahrenheit).

The recommendation from the ministry came after more than 800 people said they were sickened several months earlier after eating chicken sashimi and chicken "sushi" rolls, The Asahi Shimbun reported."

https://www.livescience.com /60343-chicken-sashimi-salmonella-campylobacter.html
Lol. 800 people several months earlier? Seems to have been an outbreak?

Nice source though haha!

Edit: considering it still goes on and there hasn't been a need to make a change, it's clear that they at least have minimised the risk somewhat.

That's not true here in Canada. Unfortunately our farmers live up to their reputation as being among the worst in the world.
200M all skills, Trimmed comp Cape, MQC
White knighting"female" forum users is cringey
Always protect "certain community minded people" no matter what!

04-Jun-2019 17:34:59 - Last edited on 04-Jun-2019 17:36:42 by Jakey Boy

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

“It is not fatty, and I love it. I never worry about food poisoning,” said a 39-year-old company employee enjoying a plate of chicken sashimi at a yakitori bar in Tokyo.

The owner of the yakitori bar added, “Chicken sashimi and tataki have been some of our popular dishes since we opened (50 years ago). I am careful about campylobacter.”

The owner said she purchases chickens freshly butchered in the morning for sashimi, and the meat is boiled in hot water until the surface turns white.
No cases of food poisoning have ever been reported related to her restaurant.

The main cause of chicken food poisoning is campylobacter, which is found in the intestines of the chickens and other animals.

Campylobacter is responsible for about 60 percent of all bacterial food poisoning cases in Japan. About 300 cases are reported annually with an estimated 2,000 individuals affected.

More than 800 people complained about stomachaches or diarrhea in Tokyo and Fukuoka in April and May after eating chicken breast sashimi and chicken sushi rolls at events made by the same company.

The mass food poisoning in the span of two months prompted the ministry to issue its advisory.

According to ministry preliminary statistics, there were 56 cases with 395 people treated at the hospital for food poisoning from campylobacter from June to August. More than half of the identified causes were due to consuming chicken.

The bacteria can get transferred to the meat if a butcher mishandles chicken viscera. Consumers can be infected if the meat is not properly cooked, even though the bacteria can be killed by heat.

Another ministry report says that 67 percent of chicken meat processed for consumption tested positive for the bacteria, and freshness does not always mean safe.

https://foodsafety.suencs.com/?p=41118

04-Jun-2019 17:45:02 - Last edited on 04-Jun-2019 17:46:18 by NexOrigin

Jakey Boy
Sep Member 2022

Jakey Boy

NexOrigin said :
“It is not fatty, and I love it. I never worry about food poisoning,” said a 39-year-old company employee enjoying a plate of chicken sashimi at a yakitori bar in Tokyo.

The owner of the yakitori bar added, “Chicken sashimi and tataki have been some of our popular dishes since we opened (50 years ago). I am careful about campylobacter.”

The owner said she purchases chickens freshly butchered in the morning for sashimi, and the meat is boiled in hot water until the surface turns white.
No cases of food poisoning have ever been reported related to her restaurant.

The main cause of chicken food poisoning is campylobacter, which is found in the intestines of the chickens and other animals.

Campylobacter is responsible for about 60 percent of all bacterial food poisoning cases in Japan. About 300 cases are reported annually with an estimated 2,000 individuals affected.

More than 800 people complained about stomachaches or diarrhea in Tokyo and Fukuoka in April and May after eating chicken breast sashimi and chicken sushi rolls at events made by the same company.

The mass food poisoning in the span of two months prompted the ministry to issue its advisory.

According to ministry preliminary statistics, there were 56 cases with 395 people treated at the hospital for food poisoning from campylobacter from June to August. More than half of the identified causes were due to consuming chicken.

The bacteria can get transferred to the meat if a butcher mishandles chicken viscera. Consumers can be infected if the meat is not properly cooked, even though the bacteria can be killed by heat.

Another ministry report says that 67 percent of chicken meat processed for consumption tested positive for the bacteria, and freshness does not always mean safe.

Nice source, lol. And 2016? 3 years ago? Yikes.

04-Jun-2019 17:48:53

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Jakey Boy said :
Edit: considering it still goes on and there hasn't been a need to make a change, it's clear that they at least have minimised the risk somewhat.
Not really. If people start dying, they'll ban it, just like they did with beef sashimi, and pork sashimi.

"In 2011, five people died of food poisoning after eating “yukke” (Korean-style raw beef). In 2012, the health ministry banned restaurants from serving raw beef liver to customers. After the ban, raw pork liver became popular, but it was declared verboten in 2015."

04-Jun-2019 17:49:48

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Jakey Boy said :
Nice source, lol.
Where do you want the source from? Mainstream media? The Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare?

You name the source, I'll find the article.

04-Jun-2019 17:53:41

Jakey Boy
Sep Member 2022

Jakey Boy

NexOrigin said :
Jakey Boy said :
Not really. If people start dying, they'll ban it, just like they did with beef sashimi, and pork sashimi.

"In 2011, five people died of food poisoning after eating “yukke” (Korean-style raw beef). In 2012, the health ministry banned restaurants from serving raw beef liver to customers. After the ban, raw pork liver became popular, but it was declared verboten in 2015."

Interesting. I wonder why we allow our Canadian farmers to have such poor practices though. I guess one day enough people will die and we will force them to do better. Until then, however, they'll keep their reputation as being some of (if not the) worst farmers in the world.

Thanks for your input though!

04-Jun-2019 17:54:28

Jakey Boy
Sep Member 2022

Jakey Boy

NexOrigin said :
Jakey Boy said :
Nice source, lol.
Where do you want the source from? Mainstream media? The Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare?

Reputable sources, please. And from suitable time frames. I thought that would have gone without saying...

04-Jun-2019 17:55:49

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Jakey Boy said :
NexOrigin said :
Jakey Boy said :
Nice source, lol.

Reputable sources, please. And from suitable time frames. I thought that would have gone without saying...
Name the reputable source you want to see it from.

04-Jun-2019 17:57:18

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top