Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,606 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :
When did it happen?

I've been pushing for no politics for awhile. I can see the first 5 pages still maintain political threads. Can we report them on the basis that they are political now?

In general, we wish to foster an open and respectful community in which tough topics can be discussed in a mature manner, though some topics are unarguably polarised to a degree which, effectively, renders thoughtful and open-minded discussion impossible; not to mention how many such threads are often posted with the intention of provoking certain reactions in the first place. Thus, if you do believe a thread is developing into something which is likely to end up causing infighting or otherwise provoke racist, xenophobic, anti-Semitic, misogynistic, or similar comments, be it explicitly or implicitly, then yes, please do report the thread in question.
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone
¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

01-Jun-2019 22:44:19 - Last edited on 01-Jun-2019 22:46:38 by Mexk

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mexk said :
In general, we wish to foster an open and respectful community in which tough topics can be discussed in a mature manner, though some topics are unarguably polarised to a degree which, effectively, renders thoughtful and open-minded discussion impossible; .
I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

"Sorry, too many people believe that the moon is indeed made of cheese, thus, a discussion of moon rocks in an open minded discussion is impossible".

*stares blankly*

Polarized discussions are the discussions that need to be discussed the most. You can't build common ground between the polar extents, if no discussion is permitted.

If the rules about what topics are permitted are changing, then someone needs to tell the community, and maybe, you know, update the rules?
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

01-Jun-2019 23:00:44

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So politics are allowed or aren't they?

All political threads are going to cause fighting and disagreement, lol. Take the veganism one for example. That one literally calls people who eat meat bad.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

01-Jun-2019 23:14:48 - Last edited on 01-Jun-2019 23:16:21 by Averia Light

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,606 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NexOrigin said :
Mexk said :
In general, we wish to foster an open and respectful community in which tough topics can be discussed in a mature manner, though some topics are unarguably polarised to a degree which, effectively, renders thoughtful and open-minded discussion impossible; .
I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

"Sorry, too many people believe that the moon is indeed made of cheese, thus, a discussion of moon rocks in an open minded discussion is impossible".

*stares blankly*

Polarized discussions are the discussions that need to be discussed the most. You can't build common ground between the polar extents, if no discussion is permitted.

If the rules about what topics are permitted are changing, then someone needs to tell the community, and maybe, you know, update the rules?

Nex, it is important to read my above posts in the context of where they are actually posted: On the RuneScape forums. You are absolutely correct that discussing tough topics, including, but certainly not limited to, those which are hyper-polarised, can, when done correctly, be tremendously constructive for all parties. The RuneScape forums are, however, and as already mentioned here and elsewhere, ultimately not the best medium to conduct such discussions. It is always a fine line, and we have had both threads concerning serious mental health challenges, religion, and sexual preferences fare well, and we have had threads concerning the very same topics fare horribly at the expense of some of those involved.
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

01-Jun-2019 23:14:57

The contents of this message have been hidden.

01-Jun-2019 23:17:50

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

If you disagree with any of my actions, Nex, or if you believe my previous messages do not adequately explain my reasoning, please refer to the Forum Moderator Review instead of referring to not merely incorrect, but derogatory terms. Additionally, if you wish to discuss whether the FSR should be changed for Off-Topic or not, I encourage you to make a thread in the right section accordingly.
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

01-Jun-2019 23:27:54 - Last edited on 01-Jun-2019 23:28:15 by Mexk

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mexk said :
If you disagree with any of my actions, Nex, or if you believe my previous messages do not adequately explain my reasoning, please refer to the Forum Moderator Review instead of referring to not merely incorrect, but derogatory terms. Additionally, if you wish to discuss whether the FSR should be changed for Off-Topic or not, I encourage you to make a thread in the right section accordingly.
No.

You can't make me. :P
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

01-Jun-2019 23:35:18

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

NexOrigin said :
Mexk said :
No.

You can't make me. :P

I will consider this case closed then and head back to work.

Have a good one!
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

01-Jun-2019 23:36:10

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top