Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There's a saying which goes something like .... "Once a liar, always a liar" .... or somesuch.

I was reading a post just now by someone I really thought might have at last turned over a new leaf. But apparently not, lol. And I thought of that saying except the words were:
"Once a snake in the grass, always a snake in the grass".

Some people really can't help themselves but in this case I think it's more that they don't want to change. They like being a snake. Lying in the grass, dormant, and waiting to spread a little venom when possible.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

01-Oct-2018 16:33:01

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Posts: 21,010 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
There's a saying which goes something like .... "Once a liar, always a liar" .... or somesuch.
The irony is that anyone saying that, is lying. ^_^
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDelivery Now Available In Canada

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

01-Oct-2018 18:10:16

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

FiFi LaFeles said :
How so?
Because it's objectively false.

It would be a lie to claim that because someone has lied in the past, they are always lying.

;)

My dad used to pull that sort of thing when he wanted to push my buttons, claiming "You always disagree with everything I say", knowing full well that I would have to objectively claim "No, that's not true" so that he could say "See? You're doing it right now". :P
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

02-Oct-2018 11:56:46

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Oh yes, I get that perspective.

1) My take on sayings like that is a little different. I hear it saying ...'this person has lied, there's a likelihood that having done it once they'll do it again at some point in the future because they have demonstrated that they are capable and willing to lie ~ as opposed to a person who has never lied and may have stronger moral fibre than the proven liar and, thus, never lie in their lifetime'.

2) Or! 'this person told a lie thus they will forever deserve the title of Liar because the act of lying even once cannot be undone, as opposed to a person who has never told a lie and could not be labelled as a Liar'.

This all assumes that the person telling the lie gets found out and proven 100% to be lying. And that the non-liar (who may, indeed, have lied once or more than once) has never been caught telling a lie and is regarded as honest and truthful.

I'm more inclined towards (2), actually.

And I think this post is deserving of the Boring Conferance thread.
Le Chat Guerrier

02-Oct-2018 13:39:25

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

I think it would be difficult to find a person that has never lied in their life, the the point that I think it would be safe to say it would be impossible unless you were looking specifically at young children who are still learning how to speak.

Children lie all the time, it's part of their learning process. Even if they grow out of it, they've still lied at some point.

I tend to poke things a little when I see someone promoting an ideology, but in the process they're pushing narratives that can easily be proven false with a little bit of research. Not because I disagree with the ideology that they're presenting, but because they're doing themselves a disservice by using false narratives.

If people notice that you've presented a false narrative, even if it's only a very small fraction of the overall ideology, people will start to question the validity of the entire ideology.

I think as long as someone is willing to say "I was incorrect", they shouldn't be labeled as a liar for life. Everyone is capable of telling lies. Of course, if someone is constantly lying, and then retracting the statements, you obviously need to take that into consideration as well.
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

02-Oct-2018 13:53:33

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Ah but, if someone told an outright lie and then tried to shed their title as a Liar by saying "I was incorrect" does that make them any the less of a proven liar? It may earn forgiveness, but at the end of the day they were captured in a lie and are therefore a Liar, no matter how remorseful they may be. A deliberate lie is not a matter of accidentally being incorrect or misinformed, it is a conscious strategy of uttering an untruth.

Yes, I agree, probably everyone has told a lie (big or small) at some point in their life.

The actual platitude interests me, irrespective of content: "Once a ...... always a .....". It has something deliciously Old Wifey about it.

But in the case of the snake, it's true. It's there in the grass, all coiled up and hissing.
Le Chat Guerrier

02-Oct-2018 14:19:41

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top